Hiya!

lulatap

Heya guys and girls,

My name's Lucy and i'm from Kent.

Last year my boyfriends family took on a husky of 11 weeks after he was abused in his previous home.

He's been with us a while now! and although he has calmed alot and is happy in his home, when we go out walking his is the biggest stress.

Although I love him for it.

I'd love to talk to any of you who could help me with some tips on controlling him. I've been doing small steps with him over about 3 weeks time (Sitting at kerbs, Approaching other dogs, ect).

Also any decent toys that won't get destroyed in the first 5 minutes of him having them! Or treats he may enjoy.

I know for a fact when I walk him and I see other huskys it makes you automatically best friends. So i'd love to see photos of you dogs and hear funny stories about them!

I added a photo of my main man; Dakota!

:D

Awww pretty boy :D :D look at his marking aww :wub: 

I mean... .... *cough* *cough*

Thank you for choosing to rescue and welcome on board to Husky-Owners :wave: loose leash walking training takes time, and believe me when I say "time" it's more than a month. My boy used to pull like a freight train, but after consistent training of three months he stopped completely. Anyone can walk him now, including a toddler. But yes, it does take me three stressful, painful months. There's a faster, less painful solution now though. It's called the "non-pull harness" :) the only brand that I know is WYDWL (walk your dog with love) but I do know it works really well. 

He's got a little white heart on his chest!

And thank you, We've tried a few harnesses, and we've found that he loves running, but right now it's too warm in the day to take him! But I will certainly look into that Harness! :D

Frenchie;

I'm from the Medway area! I really want to take him to a beach though as he loves the water! We had to put a pool up for him last year so he could splash around in it! But you should message me on here and maybe they could meet on day at the beach!

Welcome!

We just started using something called the Freedom Harness on ours and it has helped tremendously. It has a clip both in front and in back, and the back is a semi-slip type situation that pulls and tightens around her if she pulls. Right now I am using a regular lead that I have attached a coupler to so that I can hook her both in front and back at the same time. Also we have worked on the word "heel" and always, always, always treating her when she walks nicely by my side. At the beginning I had to bring a LOT of treats with me but now I just treat her occasionally when she's walking nicely.

Hello and welcome :)

It takes a lot of patience training a husky, they seem to take ages to pick things up (or at least mine do).  Consisitancy is the key and everyone using the same commands. for instance my husband took our little one out for a walk and when the puppy was sniffing at foxs poo my husband was saying 'come on leave that'. I am the main dog carer and always say 'leave it, walk on' 9/10 times he does, so hubby had no chance of him listening :)

It's probably best not to set yourself a time limit on training, just see how it goes.  Some harnesses can really help with pulling as long as they fit properly, though personally I prefer to let mine have a bit of a pull, then listen to what you tell them.

Good luck :)

Hey & Welcome !!! :-)

Abt toys I bought some from range three peaks (pets@home ) n found them quite strong too as he still has them ;-) but prefer kong from ebay n amazon as there's much variety

Hi there and welcome to husky owners! :) xxx

Another kong vote here too. Although my ice will destroy pretty much anything when he wants to, lol. Head collars or front leading harnesses can help with pulling and help as part of your training. Huskies are stubborn monsters like already mentioned but consistency does pay off tenfold eventually. We have always stopped at roads and said sit , once they sat we praised them, gave them a fuss and moved on, they actually picked it up pretty well. Shame they aren't quite so good at meeting other dogs. Bears pretty good and well mannered but ice will either try to jump at them if they're far away or growl at them if they get too close, so I'm probably not the best one to advise on that bit, lol.

• 2 weeks later...