Help With Training Outside

I need some advice regarding outside training. I realize Nava is still young (20 weeks) but I can't hold her attention for more than a minute when outside. She has improved so much on our daily walks but trying to train her outside in the backyard is a "no go" at this point. Any and all advice would be appreciated. 

Get a tin of cheap hot dogs.

cut them into small slices and put them into a bag.

the smell will keep her attention on you and then as she completes whatever

command you're training her etc

give her a small piece as a reward.

Gini, I think the first question that popped into my mind - "Training her to do what?"  Set / stay, off leash (please don't say "yes"), doggy manners (you need at least one other dog for this).  Give us some idea of what you're wanting her to do and you'll get plenty of ideas ...

Edited by Al Jones

It's typical for a puppy not to be able to hold attention for that long haha.

And on top of that, it's a husky.. short attention spans xD

Keep in mind training sessions should already be very short -- 5-10 minutes at a time and 10 minutes is really cutting it for a puppy.   You can train many times during the day but I feel it's better with short training times since you always want to end on a good note and not end when the pup becomes distracted :) .

I agree with Andy though..

Either turkey deli or hot dogs will do the trick (or any kind of meat, really just not too fattening)

I usually use turkey to do a little practice training for Novice Obedience comp and Companion Dog title lol.

Even if she saw a squirrel/cat she wants the food more so she won't even leave my side unless I forced her to xD

I *think* I understand what you're talking about. Diamond is a literal angel inside the house but take him out on a walk and he won't hear a thing. I really wish he would be as obedient outside as he is inside though :( it would be super helpful when toddlers swarm him, or when he escaped. But I did notice if I'm carrying a super high value treat (which is burger) he became highly attentive and excited. 

i had a lab years ago that didn't know his own name outside the house lol

Skye is pretty good, although birds distract her in an instant, as does anything on the floor she can pick up, as you can imagine our walks are long......lol

I'm working on basic commands that she already knows and responds to inside: sit, stay, come, down,run. She does pretty good when we're on our walk, but she can't stay focused once we're in the backyard. She's never alone outside or off lead. I've only had her for 12 weeks and can promise you that she will NEVER be off lead. Her little wheels are turning constantly and she would run like the wind if she ever got the chance. 

You can train into her the "focus/eyes on me" command. 

When training, Jelly knows to always look at me after a command is performed.  Unless it's walking or stacking/etc.

It teaches the dog that they need to look to you for the next instruction.  (This is usually when the dog is in a work/training mode which your dog will learn eventually when is play time and when is training time)

If she's not paying attention I usually give her the command and she looks at me.  That's usually when I treat right away and proceed with training and every time she establishes eye contact (the kind that you can tell she is focused on you and not just glancing at you) treat :D.

As for the "come" just give the lead a little tug if she isn't listening to you.  Most of the time they'll walk in the direction (given that they have learned how to walk properly which I'm assuming she does :P)  the lead is going and just praise with treats when she comes :D.

Btw you don't need to make eye contact back with the dog should you decide to teach her that method.  You should be able to see from peripherals that she's looking at you :) .

Yeah, we work on "watch me" - which in theory means that she looks at you instead of what she's looking at. Which most anyone with a husky will tell you works about 25 percent of the time, if you're lucky :)

I used this video as a guide:

I only use clicker for advanced tricks that require multiple steps.  IE. Limp

I do agree that clicker training makes everything a ton easier though.  I used to leave it in my pockets and bring it with me everywhere lol.