Need As Many Opinions Asap

mylilhuskyboyICE

So some of you read ice ate some shorts, I took him to the vets on the tuesday, got told they needed to wait 24hrs brought him bk wed morning with poo full of cloth /shorts saw a diff vet and was told they can't xray him due to cloth won't show up and. Insisted they may need to just "cut him open and have a look" and insisted I return this morning so I'm on my way. My question is, should I let them operate as it has come out in his poo and I want a second opinion. Tbh they seem to be messing me around as the 1st vet I saw said I can xray him but due to the expense wait 24/hrs but if it was severe wouldn't they have taken action yday?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

clothing is very hard to appear on x-rays.. does he behave differently at all? Personally I wouldn't waste my money on it. The sock already came out, the dog is alright and there's no guarantee the x-ray would show anything. But then again, I'm not a vet... 

personally (again) unless it is extremely necessary I wouldn't allow my dog to be operated. Any procedure that includes anesthesia may result in your dog never waking up and I heard they actually make you sign a paper that says if that does happen then you won't sue the vet. The chances are very small, but I'm a huge paranoid so... yeah :shrug: it won't hurt to do the x-ray if it's free though

IMO that if he ate just cloth it will come out no worries...Alpha has had so many socks when he first came with us it was at least 1 a week and they always came out...

if however he ate anything else but cloth I would first insist on an x-ray..free or not an operation takes a lot out of a dog...and he is not an experiment...but this is my opinion....

Agree with everyone else clothing generally does come out tbh and as you have already seen most of it come out i wouldn't be worrying and i definitely would not be letting them operate just to have a look unless i was extremely concerned for my dog (different behaviour, not being able to go to the toilet, not wanting food, being sick etc)

Gee, cutting him open seems pretty drastic. Regarding the gagging - I would have thought that at the very worst they would be able to gas him and use an endoscope to see if there is a blockage down the oesophagus, this should then be able to be got at with long thin forceps. Obviously this would still be invasive, but far less than surgery.

I am still confused that they say that the X-ray will not show up the blockage, so where on earth would they open him up?

I hope it gets sorted, the gagging would indicate there is some obstruction, maybe see if there are alternative vets that can use the endoscope?

They might have never operated on a husky and may just want to cut him open for the hell of it... Its bad to push an operation on you when its not needed.... So many things can go wrong and they shouldn't pressure an owner... These dogs are our kids!!!! And we don't randomly cut children open.... Or at least i don't lol

Ask for an endoscopy like previously mentioned by someone...that will check for obstructions xx

Good luck

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

Good to hear he didn't need the op, did seem a bit drastic to me too. It's true that X-rays wont show up all types of materials but they can sometimes give clues or else a "barium meal" drink can be swallowed which will work itself down the digestive tract and coat anything it passes on the way down, Barium does show up on X-rays, I know because I had it done to myself once. Some vets can be very "black and white", they follow a list of protocols to the letter and are unable to deviate from that. Sometimes you end up feeling like banging your head against the wall, lol.

Still, sounds like things are ok now, which is what matters most. :)