Need As Many Opinions Asap

mylilhuskyboyICE

yeah :) to the last question about did he eat anything else, all the buttons were still on the shorts :)

yeah the guy i spoke to today was really lovely, he said im more than welcome to take him away next week and that if anything drastic happens it will happen in the next 48 hrs but from what he saw on the basis hes eating, pooing, weeing and drinking fine hes all clear :)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Exploratory abdominal surgery is not uncommon when someone says their dog ate something soft. I wouldn't automatically assume the vet is just trying to hack open a husky for fun.

That said, as long as he is eating and pooping, I would continue to monitor him. If he's gagging it's because he still has something in there. Dogs can and do get obstructions from soft items so just be vigilant, as it appears you are being. If he starts to vomit after eating or shows signs of lethargy I would probably take them up on the exploratory.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Oh and essentially what they do is open up the abdomen and check the intestines for blockage. If they find something they would make an incision in the intestine and remove it. Re-accommodate the intestines and stitch him back up.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Edited by Chula

Our rotti Dozer had a bone stuck and another blockage farther down they didn't do surgery on him they did a (what's it called? Where they clean them out through there bum? For the life of me I can't think of it lol) they said if that didn't work he would need surgery. He wasn't eating or drinking had blood running out of his bum and was in a heap of pain.

Glad Ice got the all clear :) x

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

As Chuka says exploratory surgery isn't all that uncommon, but on the other hand there is always the possibility of an adverse reaction to the anesthetic - so caution is a good thing.

If there's a blockage further along the intestinal tract a colonoscopy (the word Laura was looking for I think) is possible, on the other end then an endoscope is possible - in between there isn't much option to an exploratory if it's needed.

While, as you've been told, all sorts of soft material won't show on an xray there are ways to enhance the possibility (barium, possibly?) before considering exploratory.

Avalanche, for a while, ate all sorts of disgusting things (shorts, socks, jeans!) and luckily they all came out in the end. Well, one end or the other ...

Since you feel he's doing better except for the gagging, I'd think about an endoscopy to see if something "got hung up" - he won't be gagging from something that's in the stomach or further along, whatever is causing him to gag is in the back of his mouth / throat / possibly esophagus but that's getting pretty far along for gag reflex.

Personally, I'd keep a really close eye on him and his deposits.  Cloth, depending on the type, can be digestible in a dogs stomach (cotton and similar; not so much with nylon, etc)

Yeah I'm finding that out as well. I figured out Kodiak has been eating bed sheets. I thought he had just ripped them but now I'm finding fabric in his poop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2