Husky Has Overlicked His Paw And Butt Help

easywolf32

Hello,

My Husky mix has always been a paw and butt licker... The vet kept telling me it's normal.. Now he's reached the point where his butt is blood red and the redness has spread on his tail. His back paw has also become blood red and his skin feels sandy in the middle of that paw. I have started to give him 2 min "footsies" with water and vinegar, as well as applying hydrogen peroxide to his tail to try and remove the redness. A lady also gave me some real aloe vera from Africa and I am applying that too afterwards when I've cleaned his areas with dog soap and water and letting it dry. I have also put a thing around his head that is used for him not to be able to lick his paws...

Am I doing things right? Should I be doing something else? Please let me know if anyone wants pictures. Thank you!

Sounds like you're doing the right things.

Might be worth a trip to the vet to try to find out why he's constantly licking at theose areas

What are you feeding? Many Huskies have allergies to wheat or corn. This can manifest itself into them licking their paws. If the food you are feeding contains grains, it may be worthwhile transitioning to a grain free food. And by all means, check with your vet, because it is not normal.

I'll second what Mazz said it really sounds like an allergy to me.

A comment though; if you run your fingers across your dogs pads from the front to the back it'll feel smooth (at least it should); if you run your fingers from back to front it'll feel like sandpaper.  That's natures way of trying to help them "get a grip" on things that are slippery.

some dogs need their anal glands expressing more than others - always something you can discuss with the vet when you go back, no harm in them checking :)

The redness - hard to say in thepic, but "could" be saliva staining x

Hey guys, so I was looking into his paw again, and as I was feeling it I noticed something sticking out, like an ingrown nail!

I squeezed it a bit and the dog flipped out! That must be the issue. I scraped it a bit with my fingernail and removed some dead crusty skin but it seems to bother him to a point where it gives him brain spasms and starts crying. Any advice? Take him to a vet? A groomer? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G730W8 using Tapatalk

I totally agree with the others that say get him to the vet. It is probably a fungal infection and repeated wet type treatments are not going to help. I am all for natural remedies but those look very painful and they need to be addressed immediately. Get the symptoms treated and afterwards you will need to find the root cause.

The diluted vinegar (presumably ACV) will be very painful on inflamed skin as will the peroxide. Aloe, although soothing is not generally for fungal infections and repeated washing will rob the dog of its natural defensive oils. 

• 8 months later...

I just wanted to update this thread, I decided to take Wolf to the vet after my last post and they gave him some medication which did not work. I persisted afterwards and asked to see a dermatologist for dogs and they quickly diagnosed him with a yeast infection. They gave him anti-biotics and it completely cured him of all redness under his paws and butt. Well worth the 300$ I paid. His paw  and butt fur are now white again. :)

If anyone ever has the same issue and wants the name of the prescription just send me a message and I'll look for it, thanks to everyone who helped, and Merry Christmas!

post-9435-0-70207300-1419145198_thumb.jp