First Spring Shed

Anayablue

I have heard some pretty fascinating stories of people who can make fur angels in their Husky's shed... were into spring now and I keep waiting for something to happen.  Anaya is 7 months old.. does anyone have any idea when this happens??  It's still been cold here on the east coast but the temps have been warming into the 50's.  Is it based on the weather temp?  Should I be scared?

Like Liv said, be greatfull! Lol

Mishka is quite light coated, but I have noticed as she's gotten older her coat blows are becoming heavier, she didn't shed much at all when I first got her (at 1 year old), now I can't take a breath without fluff getting in my nose lmao

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Tapatalk 2

I'm not sure what actually factors into when they blow their coats :l

Jelly doesn't ever really blow her coat and she's pretty furry (unless it's considered blowing when you can pull tufts out -- but even then it's for a few days only and hardly any tufts)  But then again I brush her every other day for around 20-30 min because it's fun :l.

A lot of other huskies have like HUGEE blows here and I just follow them around the park plucking all that dead fur off them :D ... heuhuehue

Harry is 2ish and whilst he looses fur it's not been catastrophic so far.  I brush him every other day and can fill a bag each time :)  Snowy is a cross GSD and has gone from a skinny hairless puppy into a fluffy furbag, I'm dreading when he sheds his coat  :blink:

Oh, I'm not sure.. I didn't realize they had different coats.  She's pretty fluffy.  She seemed to shed a lot the first month or so we had her (she was about 3 months), the hair was very noticeable.  It hasn't been so bad now. 

Oh, I'm not sure.. I didn't realize they had different coats.  She's pretty fluffy.  She seemed to shed a lot the first month or so we had her (she was about 3 months), the hair was very noticeable.  It hasn't been so bad now. 

oh alright I see what's going on now. I think your baby is one of those huskies that go through "shedding periods". During shedding period, which usually lasts somewhere between 2-3 weeks btw, they shed like crazy. But other than that they either shed lightly or not at all :) some huskies shed year-round like my boy. Usually they're the ones you see on the internet who can really make another husky out of their fur

There are three coat types as far as I know:

1) Wooly. Wooly coat is considered a fault according to the breed standard. They're very soft, fluffy and squishy because they're lacking guard hairs. My baby Diamond is a wooly, but Skyla (her pic is still on the home page's gallery. She's the pretty white husky) takes "wooliness" to a whole new level :lol: the wooly coat tend to be a little higher-maintenance than other coat types because they don't dry immediately, and require regular brushing, but other than that they're just like any other coat type. A picture of my boy:

post-2850-0-80612600-1396752135_thumb.jp

2) Short or normal. Short-coated or normal-coated huskies are probably the most common coat type out there. They're basically a very short coat that makes the husky look skinny. This coat type is also considered a fault according to AKC breed standards. This coat might be short, and sheds a little less, but they're still very soft and huggable :D Meet Crollie, a neighbor's husky whom I used to walk every afternoon:

post-2850-0-88383600-1396751650.jpg

3) Plush coat is the only coat type that is accepted by the breed standards. They're basically a not-too-long but not-too-short kind of coat, making the husky look fluffy but not overly long-haired. Every show husky you see walking the show ring has a plush coat. Unfortunately I've never taken pics on dog shows I have previously attended, but I took this one off the net: 

post-2850-0-59646400-1396751939.jpg

Thanks so much.... this was great.. very informative.  All the pictures helped a lot.  Do their coats change as they get older?

no don't think so. Anaya looks like a normal coat though from what I can see in your avatar

It all depends on the dog really my boy blaze is a plush coat n tends to shed all year round where as my girl who is a wooly (but not as wooly as diamond above) n she sheds twice a year and sheds A LOT lol just be grateful your girl hasn't yet lol

whaaaat D: Skyla is like a walking cloud! She's sooo fluffy LOL Dime is just a teeny tiny bit too long-haired to be a plush :lol: 

Love this thread, so much good information.  What kind of brushes/rakes does everyone use when they start to shed?  I have a few but looking to see what everyone else uses.  Maybe there is a really good one I don't know about. 

people often recommend Mikki Anti-tangle Undercoat Rake. I don't have that brand, but I use a similar brush. Undercoat rakes all the way :) ((not a fan of slicker brushes))

Love this thread, so much good information. What kind of brushes/rakes does everyone use when they start to shed? I have a few but looking to see what everyone else uses. Maybe there is a really good one I don't know about.

I use an undercoat rake they use for livestock like alpacas. I found it works the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk