Feeding Raw

skye14

Hi our 10 month old skye has been on raw food since she was about 8 weeks old. She was fine on it until she started to scream while going for a poo. I researched this and got told im giving her to much bone and i started giving her salmon oil so she gets the vitamins she needs. She`s fed on natures menu mince and chicken wings paltry necks mainly. I've tried her with lambs heart, liver she wont touch it, but she used to like liver, its only since she broke both of her front legs she`s been picky. All she will eat now is white fish and rice nothing else she has gone off everything she used to eat. I am thinking about adding a good quality dry food mixed with her mince. I`m thinking of giving her Arden grange or James well beloved? she started screaming when going to the loo about 6 months ago but then stopped but now its come back again. Any advice welcome :) thanks x

We feed our guys Kibble and wet meat (tinned) and White rice

(the white rice doesn't have much food value but helps them feel fuller)

and 2 or 3 times per week they get Raw Chicken wings as a separate meal.

Always with around 12 hours between the RAW and the Kibble meals.

It sounds like your pup is swallowing whole bones instead of crunching them down.

What type of chicken are you giving her

Thigh bones can be a bit tough to crunch down, but chicken wings break down much better.

Oh ok that's what ill be doing as i am going to go an get her some kibble :). Mainly chicken wings she`s onlu two chicken thighs in her life and i take the big bone out and I used to take the bone out of the chicken wings. She does chew the bone, well I think she does :/.

Well, I guess if it's the size of the bones not being crushed sufficiently you'd see the resultant bones in her pooh! I'd be amazed as she'll have difficulty swallowing if not reduced in size - and they're still likely to be dissolved in her stomach acid. Much, much more likely is that she's either getting too much bone which is being dissolved but giving her constipation (again, easy to check her pooh for that) or her anal glands are not functioning correctly (usually caused by blockage). Our foster sometimes whines when having a dump - he gets a chicken carcass a day on top of other raw which is likely to have a high(-ish) bone content and his pooh is usually fairly hard (so I'm certain it's down to the occasional too much bone content with him)

Just a word of advise you shouldn't feed raw and dry food together in the same meal :)

It sounds like bone definitely as feeding just chicken etc will definitely be to much bone have you tried tripe atall?? Kidney? Hearts?? All none bone meals :)

But if you are going to switch to dry thats also fine just dont mix the raw with the dry :)

Hi Ive checked her poo as cant find any bone. Ill get the vets to check her glands. Ive tried her on tripe, heart and other flavours of mince but she doesn't eat it. Ok ill just feed dry then :) thank you