Meeting One Of Her Own Kind

Carly

For the first time during our walks last night Skye encountered of of her own kind, a big old red husky gentleman. he was off his lead and his owner was quite far from him, he was well behaved (though that doesn't change my opinion of being off the lead) and i tried to shout hello but he ignored me?

The husky gent was very grand though not so light on his feet but he raced Skye up and down the fence nonetheless and it was so sweet to see. 

As they were on the opposite sides of the fence though they couldn't quite get to each other for a good old hello and mandatory sniff, i decided to walk Skye round the fence and into the park in the hope that she could meet the husky face to face but his owner pulled him away and walked him in the opposite direction to us.

Skye kept looking back at him and i hoped that maybe they would meet us at the entrance on the way out, but they didn't and i thought this was quite sad.

He really was a well behaved dog, walked by his owners side, didn't pull or play up so i have no idea why the owner decided not to let them interact as the dog seemed quite excited to see my little Skye (and boy did she look little against him lol).

Maybe he had health problems that weren't apparent and the owner thought i best to keep them apart, but he could have just said that or at least acknowledged me when i spoke to him  -_-

Just thought i'd share this as i really did think it quite sad, for both dogs  :(

:( that's one rare husky owner right there. Usually husky owners are always so excited to see each other. For example, I'm instantly friends with anyone who walks a Husky even when they're still a few meters away :lol: 

seriously though it's such a shame that Skye didn't get to play with the big red monster. Isn't there any of us near you? Can you set a meet-up date and introduce Skye to some friends? 

He's the first husky i have seen on our walks, although there is allotments nears us and a couple of the gardeners stopped us for a fuss and said they too had huskies, if i see them again i might mention meeting up with them?

We are in the process of sourcing a second car..."The Skye Bus"......as my husband has a sporty car and won't let her anywhere near it lol.

Once we have a second car we can be more mobile and go a bit further from home  :)

I've met a few Husky owners that simply weren't interested in meeting or being social with other owners of the same breed.

Some have been downright rude !!

Don't take it personally.

I think "They" think that they have a special breed (which they do) but that they have a monopoly on this specialness

and no one else in the neighbourhood is allowed to have the same type of dog and ruin it for them.

We met a Husky at puppy training.  He was beautiful.   Anaya took to him right away, it was really sweet.  One night we were the only dogs to show up so the trainer let them free play, it was a lot of fun to watch, until he got a bit frisky, then we had to separate them.  It was interesting to see out of all the dogs in the class though she went directly for the other Husky.  I tried to convince my husband that we should get another one, I'd like to get a multi colored one,  but I think he'd sooner move out.. he wasn't quite as ready for a puppy as I was, maybe I can revisit the idea in another year or so. 

I'm guessing there was probably a reason he didn't want to stop and play but honestly his rudeness was inexcusable, very poor manners. :(

My Ice likes to see dogs through the fence and will happily run up and down chasing them but if he meets a dog head on when I'm walking around with him, his security blanket has gone and he gets nervous and starts growling at them to back off. If both dogs are on lead it's manageable and after a while he relaxes and gets more inquisitive but if someone's offlead dog comes over and leaps all over him, it can be a total nightmare.

We met a Husky at puppy training.  He was beautiful.   Anaya took to him right away, it was really sweet.  One night we were the only dogs to show up so the trainer let them free play, it was a lot of fun to watch, until he got a bit frisky, then we had to separate them.  It was interesting to see out of all the dogs in the class though she went directly for the other Husky.  I tried to convince my husband that we should get another one, I'd like to get a multi colored one,  but I think he'd sooner move out.. he wasn't quite as ready for a puppy as I was, maybe I can revisit the idea in another year or so. 

Awww your Anaya looks  bit like my Skye - we didn't do puppy class with her but she has met lots of other dogs on our walks - with the little ones she likes to bop them on the head but with those bigger than her she gets all shy and edges closer to me like i'm going to save her from the big monsters lol 

I'm guessing there was probably a reason he didn't want to stop and play but honestly his rudeness was inexcusable, very poor manners. :(

My Ice likes to see dogs through the fence and will happily run up and down chasing them but if he meets a dog head on when I'm walking around with him, his security blanket has gone and he gets nervous and starts growling at them to back off. If both dogs are on lead it's manageable and after a while he relaxes and gets more inquisitive but if someone's offlead dog comes over and leaps all over him, it can be a total nightmare.

we haven't encountered that Husky again since, perhaps he was a figment of my imagination???? lol

there is 1 other husky (a wooly) in our village now about 1,5 years old named Diesel only time I see him is when I walk past his kennels in his owners back yard.... except for last weekend where we actually saw him walking with his owner but still his owner does not really want Diesel to interact with Bindi & Alpha....

it is a shame but nothing anybody can do if the owner does not want it. it is not gonna happen....

Awww your Anaya looks  bit like my Skye - we didn't do puppy class with her but she has met lots of other dogs on our walks - with the little ones she likes to bop them on the head but with those bigger than her she gets all shy and edges closer to me like i'm going to save her from the big monsters lol 

we haven't encountered that Husky again since, perhaps he was a figment of my imagination???? lol

all the more reasons to pack your stuffs and move to Indonesia! :P Diamond is a social butterfly and doesn't pounce on smaller dogs (I swear I'm not kidding; except for Poms!). Too bad there's little to no other Husky for him to be social with!

I would say that his behavior was on the rude side.  I presonally get all excited to see another husky or mal for that matter.  It is an instant friendship.  Although I tend to think for some reason that those are are on the rude side don't think of their pups as family maybe and don't share the same excitement.  I don't know why that is how they appear to me but they do.  As far as the sibes go Rusty gets all excited to see another.  He used to get excited to see any dog until he was attacked.  Rori is a social mess she is happy to meet anybody or thing :P .  Vader as not had that experience yet.  Although he is great with meeting people finally :) .

I've met a few Husky owners that simply weren't interested in meeting or being social with other owners of the same breed.

Some have been downright rude !!

Don't take it personally.

I think "They" think that they have a special breed (which they do) but that they have a monopoly on this specialness

and no one else in the neighbourhood is allowed to have the same type of dog and ruin it for them.

I'm inclined to agree with this as well as this has been the same for me. I'm always bumping into huskies in my job and some of the owners can be downright rude. Unfortunately I have a tendency to let them know that I think they are rude as well. On a good note, there are a lot more owners out there that will talk to you and let their dogs interact with yours. All you have to do is find them. SIMPLES. ;)

Gary.

Edited by Keeonah

We saw 2 today on our walk, both waved (to far to talk). Rob is a delivery driver, sent me a pic text last week if him holding a cute puppy, last if a litter not found a home yet (answer was no!) So some are as friendly as us x