Pedigree Or Kc Registered?

Giddy-Lupin

Hiya all,

I'm hoping those with experience can help me out. Me and Rob are ready to get our puppy and I have been looking for pup's for while now. Problem is alot of ads I come across say they have pedigree certificates but are not KC registered.. Is that still acceptable or should I stick to KC registered always? I haven't had much luck in searching for pup's to be honest though as the one's I'm always interested in when I look at the pics are always taken when I contact them.. Plus I'm looking for a pup that's quite young (8 weeks).  :)

**Link  removed**

Post edited by Emma1979.

You need to look for a reputable Husky breeder.   The ads in local paper and Gumtree or Preloved are usually puppy farmed in atrocious conditions or back yard breeders (BYB's), people who meet each other on the street with the remark 'You wanna breed it mate?'  with no proper health history for the pups like hip scoring etc.

There is some lower form of registration, which I cant just recall - its not Kennel Club, which people refer to when they say 'Theve got papers'  I'm sure someone with fill this detail in for me.

There are some KCs that really aren't reputable and will say if it looks like a husky, it's a husky.

I'm not sure about the UK but there are some KCs in the US that are like that.

And even then , the most well known KC in the US (AKC) doesn't mean much.

There are many people who just breed 2 AKC's together and sell them off AKC. (But those 2 adult dogs some aren't even in the standard, hips are checked OFA, etc)

So I would recommend looking for a reputable breeder like above mentioned.

A reputable breeder WILL have KC registered but more importantly, will have their dogs Eyes and Hips checked for genetically inherited diseases.

Buying a pup from a reputable breeder will most likely cost most than a BYB who makes a profit anyways since they give the pup minimum requirements and sometimes not eventhat. A reputable breeder does not make much profit off of their pups (at least imo) , feed them top quality foods (though some argue it doesn't matter) , socialize them a lot as pups and so on.

I'm sure there are links you can find easily on questions to ask to find out if someone is a reputable breeder or not.

First find what you personally find acceptable then go from there.

Or.. find a puppy to adopt from a rescue :) .

Go to dog shows as rally season is over now that is where you get to meet respectable breeders but bear in mind you will have to be prepared to wait as they normally only breed to better there dogs

The other pedigree certificate that you can get in Great Britain is a Dog Lovers Certificate. It doesn't defer from the fact that they are pedigrees and you can still get a five generation certificate. It is just unfortunate that the Kennel Club have the monopoly when it comes to showing and the like and in this respect dog lovers certificates aren't worth the paper they are written on. If your intending to spend a small fortune on a pup from a reputable dealer and intend to go into showing, then you will need to make sure that you have the appropriate Kennel Club paperwork. There are genuine people out there that have pups for sale at reasonable cost and with KC registrations. The biggest problem is finding them and deciding whether they are in the BSB category or genuine. You can also ask for a copy of the parents pedigree and get them checked with the Kennel Club before purchasing. Good luck in your search.

Gary.

Edited by Keeonah

Wow, thanks for all your replies. Mostly we're just looking for a happy healthy pup to be our family pet. We won't be showing or anything so it'll just  be part of the family. Thanks for clearing it up about the pedigree cert as well as I've never heard of it before and it sort of made me wonder. I have been thinking about just waiting again but keeping a sharp eye on the kc website for any new litters.

Wow, thanks for all your replies. Mostly we're just looking for a happy healthy pup to be our family pet. We won't be showing or anything so it'll just  be part of the family. Thanks for clearing it up about the pedigree cert as well as I've never heard of it before and it sort of made me wonder. I have been thinking about just waiting again but keeping a sharp eye on the kc website for any new litters.

why not talk to several breeders you like and get your name put on their waiting list? :) that way the next time they have a litter you'll be the first they notify. 

EDIT in order to get into a really good breeder's waiting list, you're gonna need to go through their screening process. That is why it is important to make sure you know everything there is to know about Huskies before making the call.

why not talk to several breeders you like and get your name put on their waiting list? :) that way the next time they have a litter you'll be the first they notify. 

EDIT in order to get into a really good breeder's waiting list, you're gonna need to go through their screening process. That is why it is important to make sure you know everything there is to know about Huskies before making the call.

This this this! ^

I was number 13 on the list when I contacted Ronin's breeder, after the heavy screening process I ended up with the male pick of the litter, a lot of this due to the 8 months research I had done on this very forum. 

I too have no interest in showing, but for me I wanted to hedge my bets in getting a dog with a clear history of the main testable inherited diseases. Of course this doesn't guarantee anything really, but it is nice to know the 5 generation family history. I am pretty well in contact with the breeder every week or two and I send her pics and pass on stories and she also keeps me informed about Ronin's sister whom she kept. 

In my limited experience there is very little cost difference in getting your puppy from a BYB to a registered breeder, in some cases the BYBs and petshops are much more expensive than a registered breeder. In any case the purchase price is a small cost compared to what you will spend caring for a pet.