Very Concerned...sensitive Skin???

Nanook King

Good Morning All!

This is my first post, so bare with me...

Last May I adopted a 7 month Husky from a website, from a family who could no longer have her...

The 1st few months were great, but come August she came down with a skin condition that cost me a lot of money until my Vet finally got down to the route of the issue...DOG MITES!!

She was put on medicine for a sold month and it cleared up. She was my beautiful dog again...

Then the winter hit and as you all know, she spent most of her time outside on the snow...which caused issues with her privates and back to the vet we went.

We were given prednisone & an anti-inflammatory for a few days and to keep an eye on it and told to dry her off when she comes in from the snow because her fur can trap the water and cause issue.

Then...we got her 1 year shots and blood work & the results came back...positive for Lyme disease.

Now a few weeks after her shots and medication her skin is starting to look bad again....very pink around her mouth, a sore spot under her eye & a big chunk of fur on her side is gone(I think its a hot spot, but not sure)

Has anyone every experienced this type of skin issues?? The vet knows us well, but I'm starting to get concerned that I'm not being told the correct information. Any help or tips would be mostly appreciated!!

Thank you!!

Edited by Mazz
Removed URL to site that lists dogs for sale.

Lyme disease is not a good thing to have, in and of itself. Once they contract the disease, they always have it, and all you can do is control the symptoms. Our first Husky contracted Lyme disease. The vet gave her two sets of the vaccine, separated by a few weeks, and then we gave her some meds by mouth for a period of time, then quarterly blood scans to monitor the levels. You may want to have the vet do a scraping and check for ZRD. (Zinc Responsive Disorder) Some Huskies are prone to ZRD.

I'm going to remove the Web address from your post, since it most likely links to dogs for sale, which is a rules violation, even though it is not set as a link.

Back from the Vets and she confirmed the mites are back. We caught it sooner this time, but she still has to go back on medication again. Mites aren't fun because you cannot prevent them. On the flip side, she's a trooper ...she still has her high energy and goofy self. 😃

Thank you for the advice on Lyme disease.

One thing that I would be doing is adding a probiotic to her food. This will assist in keeping good bacteria flora in the gut to help combat some of the negative aspects of the medications.

Also, If you can get some Manuka honey this can be applied to the wounds and added to food. This is not a mumbo-jumbo cure all, it is used commonly to treat wounds and has anti microbial  properties.

http://drjeandoddspethealthresource.tumblr.com/post/58633442872/raw-honey-pets#.U0yWql5Lros

http://manukahoneyusa.com/new-zealand-honey

The main thing that you can do now is work on building up her immune system so in the future she can fight off these nasties by herself.  

Please keep us updated with the progress.

Best wishes to you both!