Meet Faelan

Faelan

Thanks again for all the positive words everyone. I got a DAP diffuser so we will see if that helps at all. Also got a furminator (man it was expensive so I hope its as good as everyone says but everyone swears by it [emoji16]) for when he starts to shed.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news that he has taken steps forward. The sleeping position certainly reflects confidence. 

I would only be using a soft bristle brush to begin grooming with, but wait a while before you start this. I personally would try and return the furminator, they are a waste of money in my opinion and you will get a superior job with a non bladed undercoat rake and a pin brush. What ever grooming tools you go with, just start easy for very short periods i.e. 1 minute and reward during and after the brushing. 

Welcome. Very cute puppies. My siberian husky, ( just got her 3 weeks ago) was 12 pounds at 12 weeks also. He doesn't look skinny to me. Sounds as if he was not treated nicely where he was from :(... Best thing you can do, imo is take him around people a lot! The pet store let him pick out a toy, etc... Being around a lot of people as a puppy is important especially since he's scared of them right now. Have to break his fear and let him know that most people are nice!i do hope he gets better and from what it sounds like, he has a great home now and is very loved. That should shine through :) best of luck! So glad you saved the little guy!

Well, Orrin, How'd last night go?  Did he sleep with you or ...???  I do have to agree, you've got a couple of cute puppies there and it will all work out - - - eventually.

I kind of agree with Telli (just above) once he's become comfortable with you get him out to meet people so he knows they're good "things" to be around.

He did I even had lilly sleep in the other room this time. Last time I did that he whined and howled till I brought her into the room. This time he went straight to bed. still does not want me to pet him but I still think we are moving forward he getting a little braver. When I took him outside this morning he just walked around and didnt lay down he even tried to run but when I ran to keep up with him he got scared and layed down. But I think we are moving forward slowly but surely. As I type this he is even sitting next to me kind of about 2 feet away. That maybe because im sitting on the floor giving him tiny bits of hot dog every few minutes.

I don't know what happened in his past that's made him so scared of people but it's really great to hear that he's gradually coming around.

Now for a short (yeh, right!) story.  I adopted a black lab from the local pound; it became real obvious that she'd been kicked, probably repeatedly, by a previous owner.  She'd come to me when I called - sometimes reluctantly, but she would come.  But if I was sitting in a chair and crossed my legs, she run and hide; if I were outside leaning on something and crossed my legs - ditto ... I couldn't think about stepping over her, she'd freak out. 

It took me the better part of a year before I could rub her belly with my foot.  I brought her home when she was about three and she died at the ripe old age of 13 ... but there were still times when someone would move their feet and she'd cower - oh, not nearly as badly as she did when I brought her home, but she'd move off and kind of hunker down ... for some reason there were people with whom she was still uncomfortable.

I'm telling you this so that in the future, when he responds in old patterns, (you sound great with them, btw) it's just that these old memories - especially in a pup - will occasionally return to haunt them and almost always at the most unusual of times.  Don't be surprised, don't get upset, it's just that some things will invoke the old memories (body memories?).  We want to make it all right, but sometimes (all too often) there's that residual fear still hanging in there.

Yea I dont think he was abused per say, but I do think that the only interaction with people he had was rough. Getting picked up by the scruff thrown Into cages things like that. And sorry to here about your pup but she was lucky to have a great 10 years with a good pack!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys just an update on Faelan. He is getting more social every day now when ever I walk into the kitchen he is a few feet behind me knowing the kitchen is were tha tasty treats come from! I think his adult coat is coming in becuase he is starting to get darker. We are still having issues with potty training him he is getting better about walking on the leash but some times just wont go even if we are out side for an hour then comes in and as soon as I look away BAM nice fresh pile. But hear are a few pics and if I can get it to load a video of me and my mom trying to get him to howl all he does is bark [emoji20]

vyzebu8e.jpg

jevymepa.jpg

Ok I couldnt get it to load on here so I put it on youtube heres the link.