Molly Says Hello From Dayton, Ohio

Molly3

First time Husky owner just hoping to learn from others experiences.  About a year ago my 12 year old Golden died and I was finally ready to bring another dog into our lives with Molly. She is 4 months old now and such a total joy to be around.  I am so happy to have her with us.  We also have a shih tzu puppy and it is so interesting to see how they play together.  Molly is a real talker and so smart.  I have had many different breeds but I am amazed how smart this dog is.

My big question right now is how much to walk this kind of dog as a puppy?  She loves to walk but I don't want to over do it at this age.  I also don't want her to be destructive because of not enough exercise.  We do have a fenced in yard and she likes to be outside with us.  

Any advice on the walking thing would be appreciated.

post-11735-0-53870300-1397670163_thumb.j

post-11735-0-45018100-1397670251_thumb.j

post-11735-0-20281900-1397670953_thumb.j

Oh, that is one beautiful little red you have there!!!  Really sorry to hear about your golden, they never seem to ever really go away, do they? ((er, the memories, that is <sheesh>))

I had forgotten, since I don't do puppies so I had to ask for another new member recently - it's five minutes of organized walk time for every month of age; so for Molly, you're looking at 20 minutes a couple of times a day.

Since you have a back yard, you can let her play out there - if you watch for her digging (if not now, then definitely later!!) and any play time with the ShiTzu doesn't count against the "organized" time.  If she can stop and call it quits when she gets tired then you're pretty much fine.  Of course, the alternative of training session to mentally stimulate and tire her works well too.

So you've got the long and the sort answer ... :)

Edited by Al Jones

Welcome!! I am VERY VERY Excited to see another Dayton/Centerville person! She is so flippin adorable! She actually looks like a red my friend, who lives in Centerville. If you're intereted perhaps you guys could set up some playdates? (and I would love to join in but my schedule is so finicky and I often have to get a ride so that suuuucks). We also meet with other husky owners once or twice a month at dog parks for meets, and do hikes, etc, so hopefully you'll be able to join in on those!