Chula Just Won't Eat Anymore.

Chula

I am really at a loss. Getting Chula to eat dog food is becoming impossible. It definitely started with her tooth issue, but it's like she has forgotten how much she used to love her kibble. She used to wolf it down, guard it, constantly beg for more. Then like a light switch flipped, she is just not interested in it anymore. We're going on the second month of this battle now and it's getting worrisome.

We have switched food. Mixed food to see if there was one she likes better and/or one she leaves behind. Added chicken broth. Blended it with chicken broth so it is mushier in case the problem is her being unhappy with the feel of her mouth now that her tooth is missing. Mixed in peanut butter. She just sniffs it and walks away. She will go a day or more between eating more than a couple bites sometimes. When Jolene was staying with us she would eat her food in 60 seconds flat because she was worried Jolene would take it from her and I thought maybe she'd be reminded how yummy she used to think her kibble was.

But since Jolene left, SHE JUST WON'T EAT!  She is getting skinnier by the day and she was trim to begin with. I can get her to eat maybe 1/2 of her daily ration each day by prodding her and sitting right near her.

I have checked her mouth and her teeth and all looks good there. If I accidentally drop something, like a potato chip, she will scarf that right up. She still begs for human food, but we've cut out table scraps.

How long do I let the standoff go before I do something else? Do I need to bring her in and have them look at her mouth and make sure nothing is wrong that I am missing?

I really don't know what to suggest? I had this battle continually with my Labrador, I used to put olive oil on his food sometimes and that would work, was also good for his coat as he had dry skin.

If she's happy to eat human food then like you I have no idea? Maybe a trip to the vets is in order, just to get the all clear?

I haven't tried olive oil, and I have some so maybe I will give that a try.

I do all the things we are supposed to do, leave her food down for 15 minutes, pick it up, put it back at the next meal time, but she is really really stubborn.

Well it depends on you, but I do know how long this kind of battle could last. I hate to scare you, but this is basically my every day life before I switched to TOTW. Some days I gave in and fed the dog by hand (somehow it's delicious if it's in my hands??) some other days I stand by the 10-minute rule. On rare occasions he was fed entirely cooked beef with its broth. It was tiring and stressful and it went on for at least a year. There were even days when Dime completely refused eating for 48-36 days in a row. 

So yeah from that little story above, I guess I'd just like to say that you do have the option of continuing the battle. Keep looking for a brand that she likes or stand by the 10-minute rule. I honestly don't think there's any teeth/mouth issue though. It's not like she doesn't use her teeth to chew all those human food. Still, if you're worried, it won't hurt to call the vet.

That's what I keep reading, but she sure seems to be trying to starve herself! She's losing weight, that's for sure. Yesterday she wouldn't eat her breakfast before doggie daycare. She took literally two bites and spit them out on the floor. Then when I tried to feed her at dinner time, she walked away. How could she not be hungry!? She was playing and romping all day. Maybe I should ask if they are giving her lots of treats at daycare.

If your worried perhaps a check up but tbh I would stand my ground she's being fussy probably and she won't starve herself :)

It really is stressful. I am used to having a dog that loves everything she can get her mouth on so it's been an annoying problem to deal with.

Well it depends on you, but I do know how long this kind of battle could last. I hate to scare you, but this is basically my every day life before I switched to TOTW. Some days I gave in and fed the dog by hand (somehow it's delicious if it's in my hands??) some other days I stand by the 10-minute rule. On rare occasions he was fed entirely cooked beef with its broth. It was tiring and stressful and it went on for at least a year. There were even days when Dime completely refused eating for 48-36 days in a row. 

So yeah from that little story above, I guess I'd just like to say that you do have the option of continuing the battle. Keep looking for a brand that she likes or stand by the 10-minute rule. I honestly don't think there's any teeth/mouth issue though. It's not like she doesn't use her teeth to chew all those human food. Still, if you're worried, it won't hurt to call the vet.

That must be difficult, and I wish I had some more suggestions.  Nikko is the only one that wasn't as interested in food, but it only happened a couple times where he wouldn't eat.  The other two eat their food in like 10 seconds, so fast I had to get those special bowls that slow them down. 

I don't know if you can get different flavors of the same brand of food?  I had heard that if you mix other stuff in their food they get to expect it and it can make it worse, but in your situation I don't know if that would be a good idea.  I would probably talk to the vet and ask for suggestions. 

I would indeed ask them first....and no a dog will not starve itself unless there is a different problem ..

Emily, why is it that I can remember your dogs name, but I have to scroll back up to get a reminder for what yours is?  Old age playing tricks on my memory ...

Taking off from Robs comment, if she's losing that much weight, I'd go looking for some other problem.  A visit with a good vet is definitely in order, explain the long term you're dealing with and have them run the gauntlet of reasonable tests.

This taken from webMd

When a dog won’t eat, it is referred to as anorexia. This is different from anorexia nervosa, an eating disorder found in humans, and instead describes a complete loss of appetite in dogs.

Because loss of appetite in dogs can indicate illness, it is important to seek veterinary care if you notice changes in your dog’s eating habits. It is especially important to respond promptly to a refusal to eat in dogs that usually eat well, puppies, small dogs, and older dogs.

While my oft repeated line is that "No dog in good health is going to starve setting beside a bowl of good dog food", there comes a point where we need to take a good look at the "in good health" part of that line. That same webMd article list a few reasons why a dog won't eat and just to warn you, none of them are good, that's why I think it's important that you get her a good physical - let's determine if this is a valid medical problem or just a pooch being persnickety.

My Avalanche is an odd dog, he's lighter than Sasha by 30 pounds ( almost half her weight! ), he's slim almost to the point of looking bad. I free feed him and have watched, over the past year, how and when he eats. His bowl sets on the front porch since he's outside on the lead most of the time (his choice); he may nibble at it a time or two during the day, but he won't really eat till just after the sun goes down. Then he really does eat his 2-3 cups, all in one setting.

When I've had him in to the vets for boarding, one of their comments was that he didn't eat - and they take the food back up, so his food had come and gone when his body told him it was "meal time". His chart now reads that they're to leave his food down in the evening.

As we all know, all our dogs are a bit different (or more than a bit) from each other. Sometimes finding out what those differences are can be important.

Now, my suggestions - first schedule a vet visit and make sure that everything is okay medically.

Second, since she's the only dog in the house, contrary to the 10 minute rule, I'd leave her food down. In conference with the vet, decide what the best food, for both her and your wallet, would be and switch her over to that. The reasoning behind leaving her food down is that she, like Avalanche, may not be hungry at your meal time - this gives you a chance to see when during the day she might be more inclined to eat, and then set your schedule (if you insist on one) accordingly.

When you go to the vet, give us her weight and height please. I know you're a concerned 'mommy' - in your case I would be too - are you too concerned though, also runs through my mind. (( sorry ))

Emily, this is bugging me so I went looking a bit further and this vet has a really interesting article about anorexia in dogs and cats.  Unlike the other one, it's factual without being scary.

Edited by Al Jones

I second Liv's idea of trying to hand feed. If you can turn the food into a game it may trick her into taking some food. Simple things like sit, drop (which I am sure she does anyway) etc and if you can devise some new things you might be able to turn this stressful time into an opportunity to do some great training. 

I am not sure what Chulas tummy is like with different foods and no one wants to be a slave to a dog dictating what she will eat, but you could try some lean mince rolled into little balls, frozen chicken necks, or even the super loved food of sausage or chicken nuggets. If possible try and mix a little probiotic into the food, or give a spoon of yogurt with a bit of probiotic mixed in. I think the main thing is kickstarting her eating again. 

If you can get some high quality honey i.e. Manuka or Jarrah - these are both VERY expensive but they have amazing health properties both internally and externally. Mix a bit in with food, or simply let her lick it off a spoon (maybe with a bit of probiotic mixed in)

Anyway these are just some ideas, and a vet visit might be best. I am sure this will just be a small phase and I hope you get her eating again soon.

I thaught chula was ajusting well from her tooth extraction. So she still misses the tooth. so is the extraction site fully healed. is she chewing what she will eat on the full teeth side? could you send a pic of the extraction site because im stiull thinking about what to do with my dog still. 

Have you tried boiled ground beef? Nothing other than ground beef boiled in plain water welldone? My kids couldn't resist it. You'll

Need a vitamin supplement with it for what may be lacking nutritionally in the beef. When normal eating is resumed' slowly sub in the kibble a few pieces each meal. This is very slow process eventually weanthe dog off the beef and resume kibble nibbling. This worked for my Tuvok a problem eater. Ihope this helps. Good luck Blessings and prayers.

Carmen, OFM

I really do think it is a result of her not liking how eating feels now that her tooth is out. We gave her some wet dog food and she gobbled it up. It doesn't really explain why she won't eat blended up dry food, but maybe it's the texture.

She is about 22 inches and just under 40 pounds. She was around 44 before her tooth extraction.

If I can't get her to eat this week I will make an appt so they can look at her tooth site and make sure there isn't anything wrong there. She seems happy otherwise, just not interested in her kibble.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Sometimes their eating can be bothersome.  I did read that you posted that Jolene left.  Was that another dog?  If so maybe she misses a playmate.  Some can be sensitive to that kind of thing too.  My Rusty won't eat anything sometimes (happens a lot) unless I am home.  He stacks all his treats for the day up on my bed where I sleep and when I get home he will eat them and his food. 

My Rusty has to be free fed because he won't eat on a schedule.  We tried for months and he went down to 37 pounds from 46 pounds.  Medically he check out fine. 

You are on the right track for noticing that their is a problem and seeking help.  Keep us posted.

Jolene is a friend's dog who was staying with us for about ten days. Chula was off her food before Jolene came, but while Jolene was here she scarfed down her food even though they were fed in separate crates. I don't think she was even chewing just inhaling.

Free feeding is sort of a problem because she goes to daycare a couple times a week and won't eat before I have to take her in the morning.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Well I may have found a solution for now. I bought some "topper" sized cans of chicken flavor wet dog food. I put the topper wet food, half a serving of dry food, and bit of hot water and blended up using my immersion blender. I made essentially a slop type puree, very few chunks. She ate it up happily. Yesterday I mixed it up the same way, topper, half serving of dry food, but left it a bit more chunky. This morning I mixed it up without any topper food in it, just a full serving of her blue buffalo wilderness and hot water, and she ate it right up. I think I will keep blending but start leaving more and more chunks until she feels confident eating dry/hard food again.

With the immersion blender it doesn't really take much time or effort, but I do want her back to eating dry food since she can't chew on things like antlers or bones anymore, at least the dry food will help keep her teeth cleaner. I've been trying to brush her teeth but it's a real battle. She will let me brush the little teeth in front, but it's downright impossible to get the toothbrush back into her molars.

I can't really tell which side she is eating on, and believe it or not it is really hard to get a picture of her extraction site. It's really far back there and it's hard to keep her still, pry her mouth open, and take a photo with just two hands. She's not really a fan of having someone stick their hand in her mouth.

i wonder if you give her a milk bone buscut or something simmlar on the extraction side and see if she reacts weird or spits it out than i would guess that there is something wrong with her mouth. (not just the fact that she is missing the tooth.)

She seems to have gained some confidence. Yesterday I gave her kibble just wetted with some warm water, as opposed to blended, and she ate it while it was still crunchy. Then last night, in order to not feel bad about not giving her table scraps, the other half put down about a quarter cup of dry kibble while we were having dinner and she ate that. First time she's eaten fully dry kibble since Jolene left a few weeks ago. This morning I blended it up again because I didn't feel like waging the war, but she downed it in about a minute flat, so I do think she is re-learning to eat comfortably. Fingers crossed!