Jumping At Random People

Carly

Skye has suddenly developed an insatiable need to jump up at (and sometimes to try and push over any runners that happen to pass us) every single person we meet on our walks, it seems that she doesn't do this with Mitch when she's out with him so there must be something I'm doing wrong?

Obviously everyone isn't interested in petting her, despite that fact she assumes that they are lol

I am concerned about her hurting someone and wondered if anyone can offer any advice on controlling this behaviour as other than pulling her away/down I don't really know what to do? I never had this issue with my others....

Keep a very close eye on her. She does give off subtle body language signs before she jumps up. Stop her by then (correction tug, view blocking, distract attention etc). The moment she took the leap, she'd be way too fixated to hear you. Hang in there :wave: 

Lol. Ice used to do this all the time. Now he generally only shows any kind of interest in teenage boys, lol. I too keep him on a short leash as his favourite trick is to walk past them normally, then turn round and jump them from behind! very sly! :eek:

Sorry to hear that, Snowy does this too, he's a nightmare!  I guess the trouble is they like the fuss from people willing to pet them so when a stranger passes by they jump up to get their attention, in hope of getting stroked.  

I keep Snowys lead short and ask him to sit when someone walks past us, where I live this isn't a problem as we don't get to see many people but if you live in a busy area than this wouldn't really work.  

I hope some of the other suggestions work for you :)

What used to work for me was a short leash and a firm hold on it and when someone was approaching A firm "NO!" once before they got close enough to jump on  pretty much did the trick after a while Tuvok got the idea and stopped the jumping. Patience and consistency on my part is what worked. I hope it will work for you. As the southern chefs would say, "If at first you can't fricassee, fry fry a hen . . . " :)

Carmen OFM

What used to work for me was a short leash and a firm hold on it and when someone was approaching A firm "NO!" once before they got close enough to jump on  pretty much did the trick after a while Tuvok got the idea and stopped the jumping. Patience and consistency on my part is what worked. I hope it will work for you. As the southern chefs would say, "If at first you can't fricassee, fry fry a hen . . . " :)

Carmen OFM

Oh, Boo, Hiss!!!!

That's worth at least 150 Hail Mary's!!!

add in a week in a hair shirt for good measure!!

And, Ginger, the good Padre's advice is among the better, distraction BEFORE the act works wonders.

Edited by Al Jones

One area of training I've succeeded at :) Solo was terrible for this when we first got him, consistant shortening of lead and firm no and a tug if he went to jump worked. Just got to cure the pulling my arm out in first 10 mins if a walk lol have bought a halti type head collar, he hates it but we had lovely walk today :)

Shiloh jumps at everyone too and if they're on the other side of the road, she tries to run over. We just shorten the lead and pull her back and say no.

Sometimes if someone is ignoring her, she will sit or lay down. I think it's because at home, we have taught her to sit before she gets things haha