Rabies Vaccination Almost Killed My Boy

isoh99

I took my 6 months old boy to the vet for his scheduled first Rabies vaccination on Friday.

He was totally normal and active at the moment, until late night Friday (5 hours after the shot). He started vomiting, un-controllable diarrhea with blood and high fever. He was not able to stand and couldn’t take any food or water. We brought him to the overnight emergency vet and he was diagnosed with liver failure. Since he didn’t leave the house on Friday (take out the possibility of food poisoning), doctor suggested most likely he was reacting to the rabies vaccination.

Long story short, four days later, three different hospitals, countless IV fluid & medical treatments. He’s finally recovering.

Rabies vaccination is required by law in the U.S, even there was no reported case of rabies infection since 2004 

What was a $15 shot turn out to be a $3000 (still counting) medical bill, and it almost took my boy’s life.  

I know my case is odd,   read it just as a warning sign

Ps: the 1st picture was taken before the rabies shot, the rest are after........

post-11283-0-04573700-1398185594_thumb.j

post-11283-0-83349800-1398185611_thumb.j

post-11283-0-34590700-1398185625_thumb.j

Awwww poor puppy.

As you say most dogs don't have this side effect.

So sorry yours was the one that did.

Fingers and paws crossed that He recovers fully

Poor baby!

Was that the only vaccination he had that day?

I'm so scared of vaccinations. I do almost all of them anyway, but it always worries me to no end each time she gets jabbed.

Also, just a question - what does the law require going forward? Knowing that your dog had this reaction do you still have to get the vaccination next year?

Poor baby!

Was that the only vaccination he had that day?

I'm so scared of vaccinations. I do almost all of them anyway, but it always worries me to no end each time she gets jabbed.

Also, just a question - what does the law require going forward? Knowing that your dog had this reaction do you still have to get the vaccination next year?

Yes, only one rabies shot on that day.  I don't think i'll give him another rabies shot ever.

Oh wow, thank goodness he survived. If its required by law is there some kind of exemption certificate you can get? I'm guessing you're not likely wanting to do any follow up booster shots, can't say that I blame you either. Poor baby. :(

Jackey, I'm so sorry that this happened - I can't imagine how you must have felt.  We try to do our best but sometimes that just doesn't work out right.   I am glad that your handsome boy is on the way to recovery.

Now, take a look at this quote and have a talk with your vet ... he doesn't have to be vaccinated again, there's no reason to take the chance (note my highlighted portion)

Exemption signed into law 10/7/11:  http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/asm/ab_0251-0300/ab_258_bill_20111007_chaptered.html
( b ) (1) Every dog owner, after his or her dog attains the age of four months, shall, at intervals of time not more often than once a year, as may be prescribed by the department, procure its vaccination by a licensed veterinarian with a canine antirabies vaccine approved by, and in a manner prescribed by, the department, unless a licensed veterinarian determines, on an annual basis, that a rabies vaccination would endanger the dog's life due to disease or other considerations that the veterinarian can verify and document.  The responsible city, county, or city and county may specify the means by which the dog owner is required to provide proof of his or her dog's rabies vaccination, including, but not limited to, by electronic transmission or facsimile.

If your vet records in your dogs file the reaction he had to the vaccine you should be good.  Most rabies vaccine is good for at least three years; in fact, titre's at 10 years have shown the vaccine to still be effective.

Hope he recovers in good shape, quickly ...

Yeh, right Jason, *I* gave her the legal right to do so!!!! << tease >>

Edited by Al Jones

Jackey, I'm so sorry that this happened - I can't imagine how you must have felt.  We try to do our best but sometimes that just doesn't work out right.   I am glad that your handsome boy is on the way to recovery.

Now, take a look at this quote and have a talk with your vet ... he doesn't have to be vaccinated again, there's no reason to take the chance (note my highlighted portion)

Exemption signed into law 10/7/11:  http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/asm/ab_0251-0300/ab_258_bill_20111007_chaptered.html

( b ) (1) Every dog owner, after his or her dog attains the age of four months, shall, at intervals of time not more often than once a year, as may be prescribed by the department, procure its vaccination by a licensed veterinarian with a canine antirabies vaccine approved by, and in a manner prescribed by, the department, unless a licensed veterinarian determines, on an annual basis, that a rabies vaccination would endanger the dog's life due to disease or other considerations that the veterinarian can verify and document.  The responsible city, county, or city and county may specify the means by which the dog owner is required to provide proof of his or her dog's rabies vaccination, including, but not limited to, by electronic transmission or facsimile.

If your vet records in your dogs file the reaction he had to the vaccine you should be good.  Most rabies vaccine is good for at least three years; in fact, titre's at 10 years have shown the vaccine to still be effective.

Hope he recovers in good shape, quickly ...

Yeh, right Jason, *I* gave her the legal right to do so!!!! << tease >>

Thanks for the advice