I Have A Guard Dog

winterchillz

Believe it or not. If you remember, I posted a thread a while ago asking if it's normal for a husky to be so wary of strangers; well quite some time went by since then and I came to realize a few things in Ares' behaviour:

• If we're outside and someone rushes towards me, there's at least 90% chance that Ares would jump on that person;
  • If you're a stranger and you enter the backyard or house while I hold him, he will instantly focus on you, ears and tail in the air and body in rigid position ready to launch off;
  • If I don't hold him and you enter (this happened once), there's a great chance that he will instantly go down on you - jumping on you and holding your leg with his paws while growling.

I'm not sure which Ares I like more - the all friendly and cuddly one or the guarding one. Honestly, I like the fact that he's wary up to some point, but then again I'd prefer him to be the all cuddly dog as there are many strangers who always want to pet him when we're on walks.

I had a man stand pretty close behind me on a walk a few weeks back ( had to stop at a road) blaze noticed and charged towards the man not growling or anything but enough to scare the man n he flew backwards out ov his way , another time I had someone ask me if I wanted to buy something and blaze and Bings both stood there heads down growling at him till he went away, I love that side of them specially as I usually walk them on my own makes me feel safe

Blaze is also REALLY protective over my mum 

Aw Dime, look you got a friend :D I've always gone around talking about Dime's "sixth sense". I always find it very odd because outside the house he's a huge cuddly goof... plus he's just not one of those breeds built to be protective  :huh: anyways no matter where he is or what he's doing, if somebody rings the doorbell Dime would know whether it's a stranger or not. Then I'd go "who's there, Dime?" and he'd dash outside to 'keep an eye' on the stranger... who is, more often than not, a delivery guy. Delivery guys don't unlock gates on their own here so I don't know how he'd react if one day a stranger "broke in", but if said stranger stayed too long in front of our gates ("where did I put the money again?? Wait up!"), Dime would start letting out a single, deep bark. One bark every 5 seconds or so  :huh: even if the stranger didn't stay long, he'd stand guard on the front porch until the stranger leaves. It's weird. 

EDIT on our walks, Dime has always been taught to "ignore, walk on". We've been attacked (nobody got hurt though) a whole lot of times by off-leash football-sized K9s, so I never want him to react. Being the obedient dog that he's born to be, Dime always does exactly that. Ignore, walk on. More often than not, the attacker dog then sees that we are not a threat and walks away. One day though this aggressive Pom managed to rip off some tufts from Dime's butt. Dime still walked on paying no attention to the little devil, but that is also the first time I heard him growl. A strange man approached me once in a rather flirty manner (took a detour to avoid him! creepy as hell) and Dime didn't react at all. I half hoped he would, but I also know he wouldn't. He's way too obedient, and this is the lesson he's learned to embrace: ignore, walk on. 

Jelly is the complete opposite lol.

Outdoors, if someone comes through the back gate, she'll ignore them or she'll run up to them and sit down in front of them.    Never barks at people when she's in the back yard -_-...

Indoors when she's attached to her crate and someone comes in, she barks at them constantly.  She's just seeking attention though but she sounds so manly x_o. 

When she isn't attached to the crate inside, she'll most likely grab a toy and run up to the stranger and try to get them to play with her :\.  She's done this to the mailman like 2 times lol.  Run up to him and drop the toy in front of him. xD

Oh hell yea i want my girl to be Guard dog !

Teach me how to make her :D

you can't. If you want a guard dog, get a Rottweiler. This breed is not built to be one. That is why this thread is created at the first place; because it's uncanny! 

you can't. If you want a guard dog, get a Rottweiler. This breed is not built to be one. That is why this thread is created at the first place; because it's uncanny! 

We get alot of visitors at our home and I know when someone arrives because I can always hear in the screaming in the distance  because Bigby has gone galloping towards them for hugs :) (ofc they don't know that... they see a giant dog running at them at full speed!)

Really need to put that sign I bought up to atleast warn people :P

LOL what does the sign say? "Beware cuddle monster"? :lol:

:P 

"Be aware, Dog running free" 

We're fortunate to have a large area that's fenced all around so Bigby has loads of space to run and what-not. He's normally sleeping all day under one of the trailers until he hears that front gate clang and he's awake and running to whoever is there!

Once the appeal of the new person has worn off (within 5-minutes) he'll go back to sleeping... I swear I have one of the laziest dogs.

Shadow couldn't care less but Skye goes on watch in the house she barked at next doors kid yesterday as he was stood looking over the fence and trying to throw stones at her!!! I told him not to do this!!

Skye is half gsd though so that's why she's like it