Adding A 3Rd Dog!!

mace_7

Hello everyone!!😊

I am new to this forum and had a quick question hoping someone could help! Also sorry if this is in the wrong spot!!

We have two siberians right now a male who is turning 4 and a female who is turning 3 both altered. We want to get a malamute for our 3rd and stumped weather to get male or female. We really want a male but have heard mixed stories about male mals with other dogs but have also heard the same for females. Both our dogs are great with other dogs! Our female is less dominant outside of the house but inside our home our female is extremely dominant over our male. Anyone have any advice??

Thanks so much!😊

Welcome to the pack :-) I think it generally depends on your dog's and the pup your getting ( a submissive one might be best) we have an older male dog who gets on with everyone so it wasn't hard to choose what sex to get we wanted another male, with our 3Rd we knew it would have to be a puppy as he wouldn't accept an older dog, we again were looking at males but my girl kind of found us n she's been a great fit n probably better for us to get a girl as

My boy can be quite dominant tho she is too she respects him, not much help lol but as u can see it really depends on the dogs

Hello and welcome!  (pics please :D )

And a fellow Indiana person!  I am in Northwest Indiana in Crown Point...

Anyway, I added a 3rd dog last April and I have 3 males.  All of mine are Sibes so I don't have any experience with Mals, but I don't think a male will be a problem.  I have been told the the gender usually doesn't matter as long as they are all fixed.

I had a few issues with guarding and a couple fights but after a few weeks everything was good.  I kept the new one on a leash for a few weeks so I could pull him off if they got into a fight.  Also, I took away all toys.  When introducing them do it on neutral ground first before you bring the new dog in the home.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.  and pics are great :D

Hidden

It will depend on the dog itself, the breeder, and just that it is a mal. They are a breed known for dog aggression (Mal National Breed Club) so if your puppy's grandsire had aggression issues, it IS possible to see that trait in dogs descended from him.

Do your research and don't go to just any mediocre breeder.

Thank you all for the feedback!! When we get the mal it will be a puppy from a very reputable breeder and we will defiantly ask about any aggression in the line!! Here are pics of our babies!😊 The black and white is Koga and Sweet Tea is the sable😊

Oh no the picture didn't post

Welcome x sweet dogs. We had Charlie ( the little one) for a year before deciding to get Solo. They met on neutral ground a couple of times before he came home and most aggression comes from Charlie as Solo is a softie. You will know when you have found the right dog x.

I have a male Malamute who's good tempered with other dogs (male and female) but how he'd react to a male 2nd dog actually living with us would be entirely on the temperament of the 2nd dog.

Malamutes are very well known for there dog aggression my female mal lived with mine for 5 months before she hit teenage age and decided she didn't like my females and one of my males after seeing 4 different behaviourists she still is the same 2 and half years later. She fine with some dogs but as soon as they hurt her or try to dominate her she goes in for the kill and she holds a grudge and doesn't forget it. Even pups as they get older can turn as they hit adulthood. Malamute are very evil with there teeth too and only see red so a fight breaks out keep your hands away as a moot will bite you.

It really depends on the mal and how socialized it is. My malamute is a female. She is very well socialized malamute, she has been around all dogs either sex. She loves all dogs and people. Some dogs she can be iffy with. She doesn't tolerate behaviors like humping or barking at her. I know malamutes can be same sex or dog agressive but it is not always the case. each malamute is different. 

My male was first, then came angel who slotted straight in as storms submissive.

Angel wouldn't accept a adult female, we tried to foster several times. In the end we got a female pup and they're best of friends now.

My ony issue will be when aurora decides she wants to be leader, being the only intact of the two females it will happen.