Christmas tradition

Val (Zebedee)

Planning ahead for "the big day" got me thinking - why do we traditionally have turkey for Christmas dinner? Do you have turkey? We always do, out of tradition, but friends I know have goose or some other meats. And why do we always cook 3 times as much food as we really need & end up with turkey sandwiches & curry for days afterwards??!! :lol:

Eating of turkey at Christmas dinner became popular in Tudor times. The turkey had been imported from America by the Spaniards. Being exotic and expensive turkey became popular with the upper classes. The rest of society then followed on. Much of the food tradition we continue today originated in Tudor England. Although as you say the eating of Goose is or was the done thing as in the Christmas carol " the Goose is getting fat".

As for preparing too much and eating sarnies and curry well, who cares???wink.gif

In Finland we are having traditional x-mas meals. Most of the people are getting pork, potatoes & sauce at main course. Second important thing is fish. Mostly dried stockfish or smoked salmon. The eggs of fish with smetana or soured cream are very popular too. People used to also eat different vegetable stews. (Like carrot, potatoe, swede etc.) We also are having cold, poiled vegetables with onion and pickled cucumber. All the vegetables are chopped in to little pieces. ("Rosolli" in Finnish). We also used to have home-brewed beer (non-alcohol) and different soft drinks.

But..because I´m vegetarian. I´ll make every christmas "vegetable beefs" from soy and chanterelle. And it´s good!

One of major finnish Christmas treats tradition is chocolate eating..lots of chocolate! And naturally gingerbreads. :)

Here´s some of what I made today:

JOulukuu2009089.jpg

wow- they sound a bit different to UK Christmas dinner, turkey, roast &/or boiled potatoes, mash, stuffing, parsnips, cabbage of all colours (!), brussel sprouts, carrots (well, loads of vegetables!), cranberry jelly, gravy - the list is endless, really, for main course!!! :lol:

Love the gingerbreads, too! :D

Our Christmas day is always really busy. We get up early and drive down to the forest where we run the dogs and have mulled wine, mince pies etc with all the mushers who train there. Then it's home to start cooking. We always have the whole family (plus a few friends) round for a huge Christmas meal. There are usually at least 12 of us. This year I am cooking roast Turkey, Beef and Ham, with roast and new potatoes, roast parsnips in honey and sesame seeds, caramel carrots, brussels sprouts with chestnuts, yorkshire puddings and lashings of gravy. This is followed by Christmas pudding with cream and brandy butter and/or a fresh fruit meringue with loads of ultra-thick cream.

I enjoy the cooking, but I can't stand turkey (or chicken for that matter) and stick to the red meat! Luckily, having so many people round usually means that there is very little (if any) turkey left, so we don't have to eat the stuff for days on end.

Mick