Husky And Cat??

x-o-emz-o-x

I'm sure this has been asked before.....

Does anyone here have cats? If yes how do your huskies get on with them?? Heard so may horror stories... Our boy is so laid back... Would never think he was a husky.. also have 2 rescue husky mix one is laid backs nd the other is playful...

I have 3 kittens coming in and out of my garden.. very little and don't know what to do? Want to bring them in and help them but worried for my husky/babies

Hiya I have 4 cats, 1 female husky. The cats were here before we got Keiko and she was a pup. She likes to play with them. When they have had enough they will tell her. We have a huge male who weighs 7.4kg and Keiko will share her bed with him. I still watch her very carefully though, just in case.

It can be hard to introduce small cats into a home if huskies haven't been raised with them, but it can be done, if you can give the cats a safe place where the dogs can't get. Good luck :) 

In my experience, no.  I have known people to have huskies and cats, but usually these are puppies that have been brought up with them.  But huskies have such high prey drives I have heard of people whose husky was fine for years with the cat and one day they came home...and dead cat :(

I have 3 huskies, and one day I took them out sledding. Kodiak was at the front and I had Yukon and Nikko pulling the sled too.  It was out in the country at my friend's parents house, and they have outdoor cats.  Well, Kodiak saw them and ran up towards them.  It happened so fast but Kodiak got ahold of one of the cats and wouldn't let go :(

Yukon is VERY laid back (ask anyone on here!), and even HE got ahold of the cat after Kodiak was done.  I guess the prey drive kicked in and so did the pack mentality.  Unfortunately the cat didn't make it.  It was horrifying to watch and I was so upset. 

So I would not recommend bringing a kitten inside, it would be a recipe for disaster.

My dog has been around my cat since the day we got him and they generally ignore eachother although there are a few times when Bigby will try and iniate play with the cat but he absolutely loathes Bigby.  (I think my Cat is still holding onto the hope that the dog's only here temporary :P )

I will not tell you not to take the kitties in, neither will I tell you to take the kitties in. Every Husky owner knows that our breed is born with high prey drive. Some individuals have lower prey drive but each of them has it. If a high prey drive-breed dog owner chooses to keep a small animal, then it is a risk they are willing to take. However generally I do not recommend getting a cat if you already have a Husky. 

I have 2 cats.  Rori will forever be crated when I am not home to supervise with the cats.  She chases them and I am afraid that she will hurt one on accident (just playing)  Rusty now chases them because Rori is a negative infulence.  Vader does not bother them and they get pretty close to him and seem to trust him more then the crazy reds.

It is a risk that I take.  I know that one day I may come home to a sad sceene.  I think it is unlikely with Rusty being the only one to raom when I am not home.  He just lays on the bed.