Hi From Newbie

juce77

Thanks for the warm welcome,if anyone could recommend any books on training and husky in general that would be great,also thinking of feeding Raw is this better than a dry food

Thanks for the warm welcome,if anyone could recommend any books on training and husky in general that would be great,also thinking of feeding Raw is this better than a dry food

I've never read it myself but people always recommend Siberian Husky For Dummies :) great book, they say. As for raw feeding it really comes down to personal preference. I don't think it's sanitary, but others believe it's more nutritional. If you put up a separate thread for that I'm sure our BARF-feeding folks would be able to help :)

Oh and WELCOME to H-O :wave: thank you for doing your research beforehand. You, sir, are a rare breed. 

Im not sure about books, I've heard people mention one called "Siberian huskies for dummies" that seemed to be quite popular, but I've not read it myself.

With regards to huskies in general, I'm sure you've already heard that they are strongly advised to be onlead only dogs (or off lead in a secure fenced in area). They can be very destructive if bored, under exercised, unsupervised etc... so crate training is highly reccomended if you're going out somewhere like work etc... Some huskies have a pretty sensitive stomach, particularly when young so be careful of switching foods too often or over feeding. Twice a year they will blow their coat (extreme shedding) and the fur comes out in clumps, literally! You'll be covered in it and so will the house, a good brush like an undercoat rake and a resilient Hoover will be your best friends! Their prey drive is much higher than most dogs so be wary around small furries like cats. They have been known to injure and even kill.

I don't know much about raw feeding but there are people here who do, so hopefully they can advise you better. :)

Welcome to the forum. Siberian Huskies for Dummies is a good book, I have it and there is a lot of info which is always good to keep on hand. Having said that reading through current and old topics here will give you a much broader view on all aspects of Husky husbandry from feeding and training to grooming.