Poor Kimba :(

Sarah

Look at his ear :(

The vets are open late tonight but are fully booked so have got him in for Saturday morning.  It's slightly hot and very red although looks clean?

post-4-13994802668879_thumb.jpgpost-4-13994802830083_thumb.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is yellow/brown goo coming out of it? Can you see any debris at all? I can see that those fur around his ears are oily though... there must be some discharge there :(

not that i can see no - koda cleaned it earlier for him and i've put some general over the counter ear drops in for now to sooth it a little that may be why it looks greasy x

post-4-13994805960766_thumb.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

hard to tell on the full face pic i just posted, his ear is really red and warm unlike the other :( poor boy he's had it before and was given steroidal drops for him - hopefully that's all they'll do saturday x

it doesn't seem to hurt him he's happily let me massage it for him and hasn't flinched etc - just had a sniff and can't smell anything either - if was infected i'd smell something right?

Poor Kimba....yes you would smell something if infected...

ok that's good it's not infected then poor baby - may be just irritated i know the vet will have zero chance of looking down it though unless she wants to sedate him, he hates it there and i have no idea why 

I would think red + warm would equal infection, but maybe it's just in the beginning stages. I know in people sometimes ear infections just clear up on their own. Hopefully his is just something mild that will resolve itself. Poor doggie.

Oh poor Kimba.  :(  I know when Brooke gets her type of infections, they are very different from your typical one.  The skin goes dry, the inner ear swells up so you can't see any ear canal and there is brown clumps that smell pretty funky inside it.  She gets them a lot and the main clue from a distance that it's returning is she keeps scratching at it and whimpering.  Not much fun at all so can sympathise with you there.  Sending out hugs to fluffy boy Kimba.

:huskyhugs:

ok that's good it's not infected then poor baby - may be just irritated i know the vet will have zero chance of looking down it though unless she wants to sedate him, he hates it there and i have no idea why 

My vet tells me that when dogs hate going to the vet it is 9 times out of 10 got to do with the smell of cleaning materials used...my vet's smells like roses most of the time...

hope it will clean up soon....

Get well Kimba!  Yeah, when Nikko had an ear infection it smelled awful :(  and came out of nowhere.  His ear started red and had some dirt in it, and it would be sore to touch.  Then game the icky reddish/brown gunk.  Hope it's not an infection and gets better soon!  Maybe some extra snacks are an order :up:

Poor Kimba, I hope it gets sorted soon.

It does look like some sort of skin irritation or allergy. Has he been lying on fresh cut grass or some new cleaning product? A swab with Calendula tea (available from most health food stores) would reduce the redness and soothe it very quickly. I can give you instructions if you are interested. The tea will basically treat symptoms but not the root cause.

As there is no smell that would indicate a yeast or other more serious infection, the tea may really help and avoid using cortisone, steroids or antibiotics. I would still take him to the vet to see what they say, but if the tea works you may be able to avoid a prolonged medical treatment.