Is Your Dog Afraid Of Storms? Are You?

Chula

One of my facebook friends posted a pic of her golden with his head in a closet trying to hide from a thunderstorm. She said he was crying and shaking and panting and generally panicking.

Chula does not care one whit about thunderstorms. The sky can be shaking, winds blowing at 50 mph, lightning from all directions and rain pouring down and she just has her stupid tongue hanging out begging to go outside. A few weeks ago we had a tornado warning in the area and I was terrified because I don't have a basement! And all my rooms have windows! So I was crouched in a hallway feeding Chula peanut butter from a spoon so she would stay in the hallway with me until the warning was over and not go sit in the windowsill waiting for a tree to fall on her.

Nope all 3 of mine are really chilled out during thunder / lightning storms.

Guess I'm lucky :)

Marley, the dog in Marley & Me, was afraid of thunderstorms so I know it's not unheard of. Diamond however couldn't care less. In fact, one day, a thunder struck our house. It was so loud my dad thought a plane crash-landed near us. The light went out immediately. Kinda like the beginning of them horror movies. I panicked like never before, yet Dime is happily smiling  :mellow:

We get scary storms! We have so many trees in our area that I'm always scared one is going to fall on the house when it gets windy. And sometimes we get the remains of hurricanes as they make their way up the coast. But at least we don't get the nonstop tornadoes like they do in the midwest and more southern part of the country. I would have such terrible anxiety. I actually enjoy a mild storm, but I hate scary windy lightning storms.

i have been in a few of those storms when I was in Arkansas...was different for me but real nice to experience (if you can say it that way)...they all thought and said there is this stupid dutchman again standing in the middle of the field looking at the way the storm moves....

Doesn't bother me or them now ... when Sasha first came here she'd come set / lay by me during a storm, now she doesn't even look up unless the lightning starts hitting the mountains a mile or so away.

Avalanche doesn't like wind or rain - to be out in - but once he's inside "No problemo!"

Actually I enjoy a good lightening storm, turn out the lights and watch mother nature at her finest.  I've often wondered though, why with these water catchment roofs over our heads that none of them have been struck by lightening.  Seems like it'd be the perfect path for a lightening strike.

Brooke my staffy is terrified of thunder and fireworks. Before she went deaf she would shake, pace around unable to settle and pant a lot most of the night. She kept the whole household awake, lol. Bear and ice are not scared of either, they barely seem to notice tbh.

None of mine care about storms at all.  Someone I know had a dog that would get so scared they had to give him benadryl to calm him down.  He would start shaking and hide in the corner, and he was a doberman/shepherd mix.

I, on the other hand do not like violent storms.  We get our share over here, but thankfully not as bad as other parts, but it seems that a few times a year we will get storms that do a lot of damage.  I don't have a basement either so I have a coat closet off the living room that we can all fit into if it gets that bad.

We actually just had an heavy thunderstorm earlier today, one that shut down entire Schiphol with airplanes having to divert to other airports as far as Germany  :huh: A flight from London to Schiphol (that normally would take less than an hour) had a delay of 50 minutes  :o Was in the shelter when it us, had to move ~20 dogs inside again from their outside enclosures!

I like a good thunderstorm (assuming I'm inside)! Can watch them all day while listening to the raindrops hitting the windows :) Dogs aren't bothered by it either.

Otto doesn't mind them. He just looks out the window like "huh, whatever"

I'm battle tested with storms like Katrina and the tornado outbreak in 2011, but I actually like them, before hand at least. It's relaxing to be outside with the wind blowing the trees and grass around and grey blue skies.