In your line of work .....

Val (Zebedee)

have you any funny stories you can relate without breaking confidentiality laws?? :lol:

I work for the water board in the Northwest UK, when I was a CA (the operator taking public calls) we had some cranks ring in, the strangest call I had was a man who went to the loo & a python popped it's head up out of the bowl! What he quite wanted me to do about it, I'm not sure! I think he thought we'd put it in there! Apparently, a neighbour had lost it days before!

One that is affecting a lot right now is frozen water pipes causing no water to the property - again, that is something private & we can't do anything except give advise on how to thaw the pipes, etc, but one customer called saying he knew the pipes were frozen & had used WD40, but wondered why it hadn't worked!! Bless!!

Do you have any you can share?

ok i will have to word this oddly because of privacy , but i hope you can understand it.

a few years back during a nationwide crisis, i worked on the central computer system for the whole of the uk (in this field) and our fire system was being given its yearly MOT, the engineer didnt disconnect the foam, and in the process of testing it the foam was released over the network equipment (connects the whole contries computers to each other (in this field)) this shorted out hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of equipment, then spilled into the server room which contains a lot of vital important knowledge, and begins to short them out also.

it probably took us 3 minutes to realise what was happening, and 15 of us where rushing about like mad opned the emergency exit and scooping the foam out. and the worst was the most vital server was the one hit first.

at the time it wasnt funny, but looking back at it what a mistake to make

that poor engineer.

we also get people ringing up asking the most stupid pc related questions

user. my computer wont turn on

me. what happens when you press the power button, do you hear a whiring noise and see a gree/red light on the computer

user. nothing happens

me. ok is it turned on at the wall socket

user .. usually quiet at this point

my fave is the any key i dont know if people do it as a joke, but they do ring up asking where the any key is.