Posting Of Links

Marc

Hi All,

We have had a lot of problems with spam lately, and as such I have been looking at new ways in which we can improve the prevention of this without making it difficult for people to register on the forum. Therefore as a new spam prevention measure any member who has now posted 5 or less posts will find themselves unable to post links on the forum.

I have over 5 posts and I cant post links!!!

If you currently have over 5 posts and you are in the member group, you may well find you cannot post a link at present. Dont worry, this will not be a perminant thing and is only because the system has not yet promoted you. As soon as you post just once the system will automatically promote you to the group in which allows links.

Everyone who should be has now been updated, I cheated instead :)

hmm but the problem with that would be. Spam 5 times in another post and boom spam links again. Could it not be more?

They tend to work these days with someone setting up an account then adding that account to a database. That database is run through and topics are posted across all forums on mass. With this in place they would be unable to do so. I wanna do it on the basis of tryin to stop spam whilst not annoying new members too much.

• 10 months later...

Wish all forum admins were as on the ball as Marc, took 3 days to get an account activated on another forum for me :P

I too recently joined another forum (new Hobby) it took 4 days for the account to be authorised.

First thing went in and posted an introduction, 42 views not a single reply.

It's not that they're not a friendly bunch, In posts they are laid back, chatty and jokey as here

just seems to be not in the site culture to welcome new members. Strange

I too recently joined another forum (new Hobby) it took 4 days for the account to be authorised.

First thing went in and posted an introduction, 42 views not a single reply.

It's not that they're not a friendly bunch, In posts they are laid back, chatty and jokey as here

just seems to be not in the site culture to welcome new members. Strange

I'm guilty of that too, it'd be a full time job if I did it for every forum I was on :( On some forums I've seen people use it as an excuse to up their post count or spam their online store or something. 

I'm guilty of that too, it'd be a full time job if I did it for every forum I was on :( On some forums I've seen people use it as an excuse to up their post count or spam their online store or something. 

We see it as making the new member feel that the place is welcoming and friendly.

As a new member if total strangers say Hi, Makes you feel less alone and new in a strange forum

and perhaps gives shy people a bit more courage to post, knowing that it's a nice bunch of folks out there.