Very Happy But Also A Little Bit Sad

BlueWolf

I have fallen in love with a dog in the animal shelter.

This is Gijs:

post-2355-0-04655400-1400004509_thumb.jp

He is a dobermann GSD cross and he currently lives in the shelter I work for. Been seeing him for the past month (being rehomed and being brought back again for a stupid reason). He came to us due to being neglected by his owners. He grew up not realising people can actually like him and giving him attention. He's been here for quite some time now and the stress is really showing up on him. He's very tin, even though we already feed him extra. And within the shelter he's very restless. Due to his background he tends to completely ignore the people and wants to react to all the stimuli.

As I do with all dogs I try to give them a little bit of extra attention when needed. I noticed that when he is relaxed he's almost an entirely different dog. It turns out that, when he notices there is someone wanting to give him attention, he actually likes it a lot! So for the last couple of weeks I been visiting him in his kennel for almost every day up to half an hour each. I always try to be calm around him and as a result he has drastically calmed down as well and all he wants now is a cuddles and attention. He's now always so happy to see me in the morning, makes my entire day every time. Been walking with him a lot as well and even though he pulls like crazy within the shelter, outside he is as good as gold. Towards other people, towards other dogs and even with cats!

post-2355-0-23998300-1400004504_thumb.jp

post-2355-0-47088000-1400004513_thumb.jp

The idea of taking him home with me kept growing on me. I tried to ignore it but I couldn't. I think at this point I've been annoying everyone in my area with my talks about Gijs. I think it's quite clear that unconscious I already made the decision to adopt him.

But sadly, I cannot. And this makes me very, very sad :( I live with my parents, who aren't dog people. Am still a student so I am not home the entire day so no way I can put him up with them. Besides, we have two cats. Gijs is fine with cats, my cats aren't fine with dogs. I have tried every possibly scenery but the current time and my current situation aren't the right one. Yet, I cannot get rid of this thought in the back of my head. Today I said I really hoped someone would be interested to take Gijs back to their home asap or otherwise I'll go crazy.

And guess what? Not even an hour later a family showed up. They took Gijs for a walk, came back all happy and excited! They'll be back either tomorrow or this weekend to have a second look and hopefully a final decision. They seemed to like him a lot, as well as their children and they're planning on training him. Sounds like a great match. Am SO happy there's finally a ray of hope for Gijs. And yet... I feel sad. But more for myself than for him. I'm glad he found a possible home but I think I have to take some time to say goodbye to him now...

post-2355-0-82702500-1400004516_thumb.jp

post-2355-0-59908800-1400004519_thumb.jp

post-2355-0-68337800-1400004522_thumb.jp

post-2355-0-77062100-1400004525_thumb.jp

post-2355-0-69704700-1400004528_thumb.jp

Have a tears in my eye now. Don't even know what I just wrote but it felt nice writing my thoughts down.

Awwww Jos he's a handsome chap.

Hope these folks are his forever people :)

Aww he is gorgeous... He looks like my grandads old dog benji... I'm sorry you couldn't adopt him but i hope he has a good family and ask that they keep you updated ðŸ˜

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

awwwww it's heartbreaking that you can't take him on but so nice you've been there for him and he may have found a home with a good family :)

Yes. I'm starting to see it that way now. I made sure he had at least a pleasant stay here and now he's all ready for his new home :)

Aww he is gorgeous... He looks like my grandads old dog benji... I'm sorry you couldn't adopt him but i hope he has a good family and ask that they keep you updated

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

Nah, not going to do that. I spent some extra time with him where possible but he's not mine, he's from the shelter. This is where I draw my line. I don't want to sound like I own him and I want to know everything of him. Seeing it from their perspective, I think it would be a really bit weird if you just adopted a dog from the shelter and a dude working there can't say goodbye to the dog that's now yours and wants updates of him every time.

Usually they'll update the shelter anyway about how things are going. I'm sure I hear some of him that way.

Jos you have such a big heart xxx and when qualified you can make lots of money and keep all the dogs who tug at your heartstrings but for now be proud of the love you give to the dogs you care for that enable them to find families or their forever home such as the beauty you told us about at weekend (been a long week) keep up the good work xxx

That's the way it should be Jos, you prepare him for his new home and pray that the people he finally chooses are as good to him as he needs.

You helped him through his stint there, you helped to make him an adoptable companion - neither he, the new owners nor the shelter could ask for more.

You done good, guy!!!

Edited by Al Jones

It must be so hard for you working at the shelter, I know I would have a house full if I were to work in a similar place.

You should be proud of yourself for helping him, making him a desireable forever dog.  I'm sure in time you will feel less sad and happy he is happy.

Sending lots of hugs :)

It must be so hard for you working at the shelter, I know I would have a house full if I were to work in a similar place.

You should be proud of yourself for helping him, making him a desireable forever dog. I'm sure in time you will feel less sad and happy he is happy.

Sending lots of hugs :)

I work with lots of dogs. I look after them, care for them. I'm pretty good with having my priorities straight. It's not like I'm distancing myself from them or loving them any less, but I just help then though the time they're here waiting for their new owner as best as I can. Sometimes I give certain dogs some extra attention when I feel they need it. And it makes me feel very happy when they find their final home.

But sometimes you have these dogs that just go straight to my heart and sort of keep sticking with me. I'm someone that often follows my intuition and right now it says something completely different than what my logic says which is really frustrating. Worst part is that I can't do anything about it.

:cry1: :cry1: this is exactly why I admire fosterers. It takes more than experience and patience to be one. You also need a huge, no... gigantic heart to let 'em go when the time comes. I don't think I would ever be a fosterer... unless I want to cry my eyes out every several months :( sorry to hear this Jos. But the time will come when you live in your own place. You'd be able to save a dog like Gijs then x 

I know how hard it can be :( I still miss Lyla the cat and she's only been with me for half a day. 

I feel like I have to update this, or at least finish the topic.

Tomorrow I have a day off so I have my much needed weekend now. This has turned out to be a very strange week. Yesterday we rehomed 6(!!) dogs and now have only 12 shelter dogs left. Two dogs in the pension also got back home again so you can imagine it suddenly being a bit quiet! It should've been a great day yesterday but we sadly had to put a dog to sleep at the end of the day. He had a tumour grown in his mouth. It was untreatable and already was way too big and causing him issues with eating and drinking. His water was filled with blood in the morning... The worst part is that he was still all happy, bouncy and cuddly when we get him out of his kennel. It's one thing to have to put an animal down due to behaviour issues, but to put one down due to medical issues.... It just SUCKS.

Gijs is still here. I'm hoping the people that were interested in him will be back this weekend like they said. I had a horrible sleep yesterday night. I was surprised. I never expected it that I would be so upset by the news people where interested in a dog I spent some extra time with at the shelter. It's not like it hasn't happened before. Since I won't be there until Sunday I did (what hopefully is) a final goodbye to him and all was good. I had a great day today, I feel better now. He's ready to go and I'm ready to let him go  :doglick:

That's so sad about the dog that hand to be pts :(  I can't imagine it and it makes me want to cry just thinking about it.  Makes you think of how important it is to enjoy your dogs every chance you get now!