Not A Question..just A Sigh Of Relief

lucalupus

Hello all

Well had Luca for 7 weeks now, he was a rescue from RSPCA and is a lovely 4 year old boy...so good that we are getting another Siberian this sunday !

but...today taught me a huge lesson. I have done all the research on the breed, and vowed never to let him off the lead. But cut the grass today, went through the door to empty the grasscatcher and left it open. Two miles later, one knackered dad catches up with Luca in a gated garden !

What is frightening is the way they go..they wont listen they wont repsond until they have no where else to go. Then he came to Dad wondering what all the fuss was about.

Hard lesson to learn..we will teach him recall, but I will NEVER let him off the lead

Dave

I completely understand this, Keiko will be good as gold for months and sit on the stairs and wait till the door is closed then comes down for a kiss and a cuddle. But for some reason without warning she will just bolt and run, normally straight for the main road. Thankfully we can normally grab before anything bad happens. But I always end up with my heart in my throat.... So now we have attached a lead to the stairs and clip her on it. 

Dave, bet your heart was about to pop out.  Thanks for sharing your experience.  It may just help someone who is new to Huskies, realize that off lead and lead to losing your Husky.

Welcome to the crowd, Dave.  As has been said, don't beat yourself up too badly, just look on it as a lesson well learned.  Sasha got me the other night, she's been excellent with me leaving the front door open, she goes to the door sill and stops.  She decided we needed to go for a romp, so I followed her around outside for a while.  She watered every bush, shrub and tuft of grass she could find while staying about 15 feet ahead of me - not chasing, just following, 'Cause I know she'll eventually stop and come to me - but even knowing that it's still frightening, because there's the chance she may decide to just take off (not likely, but possible).

Got your exercise for the day, eh?  Mowing lawn and then chasing dog ... did the beer set well, after it was all over??

Frightening isn't it , no matter how careful you are they are sneaky. Last time Solo did it I was lucky as he is nosey and shoved his head in a van and the guy grabbed him for me. Boy was Solo grumpy as I dragged him home. Look on the bright side he got his exercise and he's home safe xxxx

Mine got out a few weeks ago, and we were just lucky that she trapped herself on a neighbor's porch directly across the street or she would have been free range! Glad you managed to wrangle him and get him home.

Glad to hear Luca is back home safe after his little adventure. The joys of huskies! Good luck with your newest addition, two huskies = infinite love, affection and entertainment. One of our girls was a rescue and having two huskies was the best decision we ever made. Love them to bits and just can't imagine life without them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad this has a happy ending, we had the same scare a few weeks back when someone left the back door and gate open (it was a contractor who was seriously reprimanded in can tell you!) my heart literally stopped as Skye was nowhere to be found....luckily In the end she was upstairs (he'd left that door open as well), I can imagine how you felt

Can't wait to see pics of your new addition :0)

Glad you got him back safe. 

Looking forward to pics of new dawg :)