Husky Off Leash

Mishka1993

Do you let your Husky off leash in the park or wood? 
Mishka is good at off leash as I have trained him since when I first got him but I heard that once they reach to 18 months, they will run away  :o  :o

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nooooooooooo

Kimba was great until he was about 15 months - one day gone - through woods and to a main road, his recall is second to none at home but outside now it's hit and miss so for his safety he is on a lead at all times, plus safety of other dogs too incase he attacks another or defends himself i don't want a vet bill :(  Have always worked on recall with my 3 just in case they ever escape - i think it's such an invaluable thing to teach and keep teaching no matter what the age just incase :)

also they've brought out new laws for dog owners this week about this - explained in this thread - 

edit - around 15-18 months they're grown up and their prey drives really kick in, there are very few huskies I know of that are let off - i know 2 of one of my dogs litter mates have died though, one escaped and was run over and one killed a sheep and i believe was shot or pts :( 

i've got 100ft leads now for mine - i love them :D they can run and play but they're still with me if you know what i mean lol

I don't let my girl off unless it's an enclosed area. I know she would run and wouldn't listen, like Sarah's pooches she is good indoors.

I say they're good - and LOL unless they see something more exciting than MUM and then i have no hope  :rolleyes:

I say they're good - and LOL unless they see something more exciting than MUM and then i have no hope  :rolleyes:

lol well yes... if someone has food especially cheese. well I'm completely ignored :P But she's still good haha

There's one husky and a malamute I have met yesterday are really good at off leash, the husky is two years old and the malamute is three years old. 
The only time Mishka won't come back to me if there's dogs there to play with him  -_-  -_-

There's one husky and a malamute I have met yesterday are really good at off leash, the husky is two years old and the malamute is three years old. 

The only time Mishka won't come back to me if there's dogs there to play with him  -_-  -_-

that may cause you problems with the new law that's come in hun - i know i hate walking my 3 and an offlead dog come running up to us - mine have attacked a few dogs now and the owners have had a go at me but my come back is always well my dogs are on lead yours isn't and you didn't call it back so it's your fault - Kimba once made a mess of a black lab, luckily the owner took the blame and i wasn't on my own but was still scary :(

The general rule is huskies should not be let off lead unless it is in an enclosed area. You are very unlikely to get any other response from people on here. I know you are saying that she will come back to you every time if there are dogs there, however I hope you are fully aware that this may not always be the case. You have to face the fact that she is a husky and her instinct may one day be a lot stronger than your training. One day you just may not get her back, ever. :(

BTW, if you think its fine because you are in a park or wood I would suggest speaking to Al Jones. He lives in the middle of nowhere (and I mean literally, to the extent he has to generate his own power) and his one day ran off and hasnt been seen ever since. This is a husky who did exactly what you describe. :(

OK, the general rule is huskies should not be let off lead unless it is in an enclosed area. You are very unlikely to get any other reponse from people on here. I know you are saying that she will come back to you every time if there are dogs there, however I hope you are fully aware that this may not always be the case. You have to face the fact that she is a husky and her instinct may one day be a lot stronger than your training. One day you just may not get her back, ever.

BTW, if you think its fine because you are in a park or wood I would suggest speaking to Al Jones. He lives in the middle of nowhere (and I mean literally, to the extent he has to generate his own power) and his one day ran off and hasnt been seen ever since. This is a husky who did exactly what you describe.

OKay I understand, there's only one park I trust him off leash at the moment because there are always dogs there to play with him, at first I wouldn't let him off leash the first few months I got him since I know the rule about husky shouldn't be let off leash but I thought he would want to interact with other dogs and the other dog owners said I should let him off leash because other dogs can distract him.  :unsure:

OKay I understand, there's only one park I trust him off leash at the moment because there are always dogs there to play with him, at first I wouldn't let him off leash the first few months I got him since I know the rule about husky shouldn't be let off leash but I thought he would want to interact with other dogs and the other dog owners said I should let him off leash because other dogs can distract him.  :unsure:

I will sound awful now but will say it as it came into my head lol as someone said something similar to me when i got my first lad Kimba and i was a bit offish about what they said at first but now it makes sense lol

Ignore what "normal" dog owners say to you - huskies are not a normal breed, Siberian clubs around the world and countless books advise you not to let a husky off lead - why are you listening to "normal dog owners" in a park

paraphrasing what was said to me there but hope that makes sense lol that's not direct to you though, that's just a general statement really to everyone :)  The way it was put to me when i was told it was quite nasty - hope my response above isnt taken that way as its not meant like that x

I will sound awful now but will say it as it came into my head lol as someone said something similar to me when i got my first lad Kimba and i was a bit offish about what they said at first but now it makes sense lol

Ignore what "normal" dog owners say to you - huskies are not a normal breed, Siberian clubs around the world and countless books advise you not to let a husky off lead - why are you listening to "normal dog owners" in a park

paraphrasing what was said to me there but hope that makes sense lol that's not direct to you though, that's just a general statement really to everyone :)  The way it was put to me when i was told it was quite nasty - hope my response above isnt taken that way as its not meant like that x

Oh no of course not , thanks for your help, 

yeah I was feeling really bad for Mishka because he can't play 'properly' with other dogs since he's on the leash but knowing now what I did was wrong, I will keep that in mind not to let him off leash again  :lol:  :lol: 

Thanks xxx

Oh no of course not , thanks for your help, 

yeah I was feeling really bad for Mishka because he can't play 'properly' with other dogs since he's on the leash but knowing now what I did was wrong, I will keep that in mind not to let him off leash again  :lol:  :lol: 

Thanks xxx

i got round the fact Kimba couldn't play properly by getting another husky.....lol......and another  :rofl:

i got round the fact Kimba couldn't play properly by getting another husky.....lol......and another  :rofl:

Hahah, how many huskies do you have ?

If you have more than one, they can keep each other companies but at the moment I can only handle one, when I move out and have my own place I will probably get another one  :redface1:  :redface1:

Yep, they'll distract him alright; then when they all decide to go running off after some rabbit, you'll be left holding a leash wondering where he went.

Off lead / off leash have been discussed to death and beyond.  A search turns up easily a few hundred threads dedicated to the topic.  As Marc says, you'll receive few positive responses for off leash

Let's sum it up simply, if he runs off - you lose a dog; if he runs off, the chances are excellent that he'll lose his life.  It only takes once.

Hahah, how many huskies do you have ?

If you have more than one, they can keep each other companies but at the moment I can only handle one, when I move out and have my own place I will probably get another one :redface1::redface1:

I have 3 now lol x

sent via husky howls from my mobile

Yep, they'll distract him alright; then when they all decide to go running off after some rabbit, you'll be left holding a leash wondering where he went.

Off lead / off leash have been discussed to death and beyond.  A search turns up easily a few hundred threads dedicated to the topic.  As Marc says, you'll receive few positive responses for off leash

Let's sum it up simply, if he runs off - you lose a dog; if he runs off, the chances are excellent that he'll lose his life.  It only takes once.

Thanks for your reply, I will keep him on leash from now on

Thank you  :)

That's what we are here for :)  To help each other out, answer questions and be here for you!

Thanks for your reply, I will keep him on leash from now on

Thank you  :)

I will not go over what has already been said but I will jump in and give you a bit of advice if you think he would like to go for a run then there are many different was you can help him do this one is to buy a scooter or bike and teach him to pull you they love that or buy a long long lead my 2 have 100ft leads and on them they run around like nutters but are always still attached to me see you can have freedom without any of the worry hope this is some help to you

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I will not go over what has already been said but I will jump in and give you a bit of advice if you think he would like to go for a run then there are many different was you can help him do this one is to buy a scooter or bike and teach him to pull you they love that or buy a long long lead my 2 have 100ft leads and on them they run around like nutters but are always still attached to me see you can have freedom without any of the worry hope this is some help to you

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I will do when he's grown up , he's still a puppy at the moment. 

Thank you for your help :-) 

That's what we are here for :)  To help each other out, answer questions and be here for you!

Yeah ! I am glad I posted this question otherwise I will probably loose him one day !  :(  :(

I have one who has a great recall one who doesn't but I don't let them off because they mean far to much to me to risk their lives, I know someone who let hers off for years then one day only one came back she still doesn't know what happened to her dog and it's been around 5 years now :-(

Have a look on ebay etc for a 100ft strong/large dog lead and use that to let him have a good run around, safely, and if 100ft is too much u can also get 50ft :-)