Husky Off Leash

Mishka1993

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there!  :wave:   Looks like you've had many good replies already and I haven't got much to add really but wanted to share one of my experiences with you.

As you've probably already noticed the majority of husky owners round our neck of the woods tend to let their huskies off lead and will also tell you that their dog is  exceptionally well trained off lead.  I'm about to give you an example as to why I take this with a pinch of salt..... 

At my local park a few years ago there were a group of husky owners who met up regularly with their huskies for some off lead play.  I was invited by one of them to come along and i did, not realising they were all going to be off lead!  When I got there and they let them off I was a bit taken aback.  When i asked why they were offlead and explained about recall issues they told me that if you work hard to train them they will be fine.  Bear in mind they said this whilse their dogs were running around after other peoples dogs and ignoring their owners commands. 

I tried explaining to them about huskies having a higher prey drive and nothing on this world will stop it, they just brushed me off and told me that all dogs have prey drive and a husky is not any different.  So I smiled politely, made up an excuse and left. 

A few months later I saw one of the people out with their dog onlead and I stopped for a chat.  They no longer meet up anymore as one day one of the dogs saw a squirrel and ran after it.  They ran out of the park, down onto the main road and right in front of an oncoming car without even seeing or hearing anything other than the squirrel it was chasing.  The dog survived but was very badly injured and took months to recover from it's injuries. 

This probably won't come as any big surprise but now they are now all onlead only husky owners.  Unfortunately that's what it took for them to realise that yes, maybe your dog will come back under some circumstances but once they decide to ignore you or prey drive kicks in then no recall commands will filter through, they simply tune out everything and won't even hear you;  A regular breed will most likely only run so far and then hopefully stop and return to you of their own accord but a husky isn't wired like that.   

And that's my story, and so now when someone tells me their husky has a flawless recall, I don't trust it. 

I too am working really hard on the off leash training, but I don't really trust my dog to that extent that I can leave her freely. She does come back every time I call her, but I know I would be devastated if something what to happen to my Khaleesi. I wish huskies were off-leash safe, but then I again I guess the reason why they aren't is because they're mad like that. :P

Mine will never ever go offlead unless in a secure area...otherwise they can spend time on the long lead 20 meters or when cold enough in front of the scooter....simple...

I totally understand the desire to let them off lead - they are beautiful, amazing creatures when they are at full speed, jumping over obstacles, tearing around trees...it's really incredible to watch them that way. But I know, even just from the few times she has run out the front door, that her recall sucks. Period. We have worked on it many, many times over her time with us, but she is too easily distracted and we are too close to a major road. She even has a GPS unit on her so I could theoretically track her location - but that does me zero good if she's squashed by a car tire, or stolen by someone who takes off her collar. It's just not worth the risk to me. 

I would try to find enclosed areas where he can run full speed and be off lead. At least that way you know he won't be smooshed. You might have a heck of a time getting him to come back to you if he's having fun and playing though! Even in an enclosed area!

Edited by Chula

Sorry but I disagree, they can be trained off lead, I walk with a lot of husky owners, some times around 15 - 20 dogs

Alright most of us use a e-collar but the dogs have a lot more freedom, and like chula said its great watch them run and play

Bob, it's fine that you disagree.  That is what makes conversations interesting.  And to add to the mix, I agree they can be trained for recall.  However, what I don't agree with, is letting them off lead, in an uncontrolled, unenclosed area.  The potential for confrontation with another dog, an animal, or worse yet, a motor vehicle, is a risk that I would not be willing to take.  Every rescue group that I am aware of in the United States, strongly recommends that a Husky be on lead at all times when in open areas.  So why would that be?  The breeder I acquired Zoya from, same thing.  The shelter we rescued Eisa from, same thing.  I've owned Huskies for over twenty years.  I've experienced first-hand, recall training that failed upon the prey drive kicking in.

Call me an old stick in the mud, call me inflexible, call me whatever you wish.  But no one will ever call me to tell me my Husky was just hit by a car.

But at the end of the day, you have your opinion, I have my opinion, and I think we can both say, without a doubt, that we love our Huskies, we care about their well-being, and we will sacrifice for them whenever necessary.  And to that end, we remain friends.

Sorry but I disagree, they can be trained off lead, I walk with a lot of husky owners, some times around 15 - 20 dogs

Alright most of us use a e-collar but the dogs have a lot more freedom, and like chula said its great watch them run and play

I have to say that walking a husky with an e collar is not the same as training them to be walked off lead.  They are trying to ban them at the moment and I have to say I totally agree.  

I have to say that walking a husky with an e collar is not the same as training them to be walked off lead.  They are trying to ban them at the moment and I have to say I totally agree.  

Ban them in France or UK - or both? I didn't think they were that harmful - mind you, i suppose if not used correctly, like a lot of things, they can be 

I meet a lot dog owners who use the e-collar now due to all these new dog laws

When I get Rio's collar out for his walk his runs up and sits in front of me to put it on, so it does'nt seem to bother him

I only use the bleep or vibrate when we are out and he responds to either, very rarely I have used the zap which is like static shock

When used properly they are a very good aid

Ban them in France or UK - or both? I didn't think they were that harmful - mind you, i suppose if not used correctly, like a lot of things, they can be 

In Uk, think I'm right in saying they've been banned in Wales but will have to double check.

I meet a lot dog owners who use the e-collar now due to all these new dog laws  How does it comply to the new dog laws? 

When I get Rio's collar out for his walk his runs up and sits in front of me to put it on, so it does'nt seem to bother him  He's a husky, he just wants to get out

I only use the bleep or vibrate when we are out and he responds to either, very rarely I have used the zap which is like static shock  Are you implying he has it on all the time?  

When used properly they are a very good aid  Most probably but it still doesn't train them, just scares them into doing as they are told.  Personally I would never want to shock/hurt my dogs in to doing as I want them to do.  And what if it were to fail or they took no notice of the 'shock' then where will they be?  Lost, under a car?  good if it works for you but not for me

In Uk, think I'm right in saying they've been banned in Wales but will have to double check.

A few articles of interest on the topic 

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/our-resources/kennel-club-campaigns/electric-shock-collar/

http://www.rspca.org.uk/ImageLocator/LocateAsset?asset=document&assetId=1232713013325&mode=prd

The RSPCA and the Kennel Club are calling for them to be banned in the uk - but as yet they aren't.  Wales banned them in 2010 - someone was caught using one and fined http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/pets/8646521/Owner-who-put-electric-shock-collar-on-dog-is-fined-2000.html 

A few articles of interest on the topic 

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/our-resources/kennel-club-campaigns/electric-shock-collar/

http://www.rspca.org.uk/ImageLocator/LocateAsset?asset=document&assetId=1232713013325&mode=prd

The RSPCA and the Kennel Club are calling for them to be banned in the uk - but as yet they aren't.  Wales banned them in 2010 - someone was caught using one and fined http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/pets/8646521/Owner-who-put-electric-shock-collar-on-dog-is-fined-2000.html 

Thought it wasn't me imagining it, but, well you never know.  Must be a reason to ban them.

When we first got Harry I found it really hard not to let him off and a family member really tried to convince me to get an electric collar, we call them e collars but lest we forget they are electric shock collars.  Anyway the more I thought about it the less I liked the idea of 'shocking' my dog.  After all he's my baby, he looks to me to take care of him, see to all of his needs, how do I know how he'll feel towards me if I have to hurt him to stop him from running away.  If I were him I'd run as far as possible.

I've never used one and never would and in the wrong hands they can do so much damage i think for the greater good yes they should be banned because not everyone will use them with the respect that should be taken with them, at the end of the day it's a punishment and some people take it further than others and that's sad really for the dogs

As has been said before, it's a tool; used correctly it can be advantageous in some circumstances.  Regrettably all too many people seem to think that you can "just put it on and let a dog run around"

I personally don't advocate them, but I've seen enough instances where they are used to everyone's advantage (dog included in "everyone") that I won't rule them out, out of hand.

I would never let panda off unless it was on cottage country and with one of my friends dogs that he has nearly grown up with since he was a pup. They are excellent with recall and Panda follows. I would never trust him anywhere else although he is pretty good with recall. I've recalled him from a few cottages down just by yelling and he responds at the dog park as well. I've also noticed there are ways i can get his attention that are extremely effective like "catch" because i always toss up a treat. He will come and turn his head even during mid play/chase. However i agree that it's best to keep them on leash.

I have a friend that has his 2 on e collars. He has trained both his huskies since puppies on those and he walks them off leash in neighbor hoods etc. I've seen too many people mis use it though however, i remember this lady at the dog park that had her husky on the e collar and she would zap the hell out of him when she would call him to come and he wouldn't. Poor guy.

on just normal walks Kassy is on lead but at the park/beach/fields and such i let her off. she listens really well and has never run away in the 8 years ive had her. 

Freya on the other hand... there is no way i'll be letting her off!

I think generally huskies cannot be trusted off lead.  I think the majority will agree that it is just not a good idea.  No matter how well trained there is the instinct bred in them to run.  They are not labs or shephards.  I am sure there are the exceptions but we as a forum will never advocate allowing huskies to be off lead.  Personally, I think no matter what breed it is better to keep them on lead, and in most cities and towns it is the law. 

In regards to electronic collars, I personally would not use one but would not look down on anyone who used them that KNOWS what they are doing.  It is a tool to be used in conjunction with training.  Like it was said, you can't just throw it on and think the dog will get it.  All the dog will get is pain.  I use pinch collars, which are almost as controversial, but I was taught how to use them and I use it along with training.  They have never yelped or been injured by their pinch collars because they are trained. 

I have no problem with people who let their Huskies off-leash and know what they're doing. I have a problem with people who let their Huskies off-lead, know what they're doing, and then proceeds to encourage other Husky owners to do the same because "apparently the 'they're built to run' thing is just a stereotype". You have your way of training, we have ours. But as Husky owners, we both need to realize that this is not a breed you can walk off-leash like a Shepherd or a Terrier. Maybe yours walk off-leash. Ours don't. Most of ours don't. 

Regarding the e-collar mini debate here, I think nobody is implying putting on an e-collar is recall training. It is a tool to help with recall training. Same thing like a choker chain, it is a tool to help with loose-leash walking. I've seen dogs using e-collars. They don't seem hurt, and yes the little vibrating collar makes them very responsive and obedient. Still, personally, I won't advocate it. Each and every tool can be dangerous in the hands of the wrong person, but this one particular tool has too high of a potential to be used wrongly. Therefore, I agree with the UK government's decision to ban this tool. Although probably it'd be wiser to raise its price or make it only available to licensed trainers.