Change Of Scenery?

Martian

Hopefully my subsequent comments will also be filed under this category but who knows what fate has in store?

After several years of deliberation my wife and I have decided to move house.

This is a particularly sad time as we have lived in our present home for the past twenty years and both of our children grew up here.

We are also lucky in the fact that our village is held in very high esteem and that we live on the very edge of the countryside,  (great for the pack)!

Having spent the previous four years commuting to Leicester and back,  (each day), my latest job, (which I have held for the past two years is only eleven miles from home so I often cycle and run to and from work.

I have always had a strong desire to live in the 'real' countryside as the prospect of reduced light pollution and scenic views is a very welcome one.

Having found a very suitable bungalow, (some distance from our present home), we put our current house on the market but it didn't sell as quickly as we expected and our 'dream' bungalow was snapped up by somebody else!

We have now found a very pleasant cottage, (with a modest plot of land for the 'pack'), and there are country walks outside the door of the new house but, (unfortunately), it is about fifty five miles from our current home so I will be committed to a one and a half hour commute twice a day.

My boss couldn't be more accommodating as he doesn't mind where I live so it is now decision time. 

Watch this space!

• 1 month later...

Wow a lot has happened since I originally started this particulate topic - but thank you for your kind wishes.

At the start of June we had set a 'move' date of Friday the 27th of June, (this Friday), and most of the pre - requisites had been addressed, (or so we thought), but things began to start looking bleak at the start of June unfortunately, (ironically it started the day after I bought a garden tractor - so it serves me right really)!!

Anyway two weeks on, (and with one remaining 'building related' issue to resolve), and we are now hoping to move on Wednesday the 17th of July, (fingers crossed, seaweed freshly pressed and hoping that there will be a prevailing wind that week)!

If all goes to plan I will then have to worry about settling the pack into their new surroundings, (hopefully it is all down to fate as the original details relating to the house listed a 'dog proof' garden as one of its features), but I doubt whether it is 100% Husky proof!!

If all goes to plan we will be taking our four dogs to a kennel, (approximately 4 miles from our new house), so that we can then get the furniture out of our current house and over to the new house, (some 60 miles away), so that is a worry in itself as we have never 'boarded' them before (fortunately it will only be for the day as we will collect them once the furniture has been delivered).

Has anybody been through a similar process, I wonder, and are there any tips/suggestions that you can provide to make this issue a little more acceptable to the pack?

If all goes to plan I will then have to erect some temporary fencing to prevent the dogs from getting to the front of the house, (where there is a low wall fronting the road).

Fortunately the garden is quite large, (hence the tractor), but certainly not excessive by any means but I an sure that Luna, Cassia, Skype and Lysa will enjoy the freedom that it will present to them.

The cottage is in a rural setting and is not on a main road and all of the nearby land is devoted to agriculture, (both of these factors being positive - just in case any of them did manage to get out accidentally).

Here's hoping - otherwise I will be advertising a tractor!