Feeding Them Some Raw Beef

Clare70

My local supermarket sells off cuts of beef from the butchers department, it's very good value, in fact it looks almost too good for the pups :)

Anyway, they usually have a kibble based diet, fed twice a day but I'd like to give them some raw beef.  Do you think this will cause them a problem?  Should I feed it on its own?  I think it's best to wait 12 hours between raw and dry food?

Does it have any bone content if so then yes definitely have a 12 hour gap between feeds.

Sounds like you're spoiling them rotten :)

While it may be controversial, we mix raw and kibble with Ronin for every meal, vet says whatever we are doing with his feeding don't change it. 

It was always my understanding that it was a big no-no, but it was recommended by our breeder, who shows and races her huskies and I wanted to follow her instructions for a while at least. Also talking to some raw aficionados there is no evidence to suggest that it is no good or digests at different rates as many state. I suppose if your dog is quite sensitive then there might be a reason. 

One thing that you need to take into consideration is that generally speaking kibble is balanced, meat on its own is not. So there may be some deficiency in mixing. Having said that if you fed half his portion of raw (80 % Meat. 10 Bone, 5 organ and 5 liver) and half kibble it will be a fully balanced meal.

The odd bit of meat and or bone added to the normal diet of kibble will be fine without having to worry about depriving your dog of nutrients.

Just meat + kibble will slightly throw out the calcium phosphorus ratio. But again if it is just a now and again treat then there is nothing to worry about.

Oh, and there is nothing wrong with waiting 12 hours as suggested, especially if it makes you feel more comfortable. At the end of the day, the nutrition doesn't need to be 100% every meal as long as it is balanced out over the weeks intake.

I should also add that Ronin seems to have a cast iron constitution and has had everything from raw fish heads to raw quail eggs, so what is right for him may not be okay for another dog.

Thanks guys.  There are no bones in it, just good wholesome beef :)

I figured it wouldn't hurt them, after all, they frequently catch moles and mice and munch them down before I get a chance to make them drop it :)

So looks like they are in for a treat tonight :)  I'll try and remember to take some pics :)

Great, I love seeing them enjoy raw meat. Ronin has just had some raw duck oesophagus and lung mixed with his kibble and is now chowing down on a big duck neck, he is one happy boy tonight!  :D We ate the breast and legs  :P

I kinda wanted to adopt the philosophy we do with my daughter (apart from raw LOL) in feeding as many different foods as possible right from the beginning to minimise the risks of developing allergies, sensitivities and fussiness. It seems to work well, and my daughter's favourite food at 6 years old is curry LOL. 

I may go fully raw in the future, but we don't have a heap of freezer space, so I make do with half and half.

If you can get some raw green tripe, it is gold, full of probiotics and is classified as a hybrid between muscle meat and organs. It stinks but it really is the most awesome nutritious food available.Never use the white stuff as all of the goodness is bleached out.