My New Friend Chewie (Chewbaca)

BePrepared

He's a German Shepherd, Siberian Husky Hybrid. I've owned german shepherds exclusively my whole life, but this guy was just too friendly not to take him home. 

His markings look a little shepherdy and a little huskyish, but don't really match either. I am wondering if he's likely to change his coloring significantly as he grows. He's currently 7 weeks old

His sire was a dark colored husky, 75lbs. His dam was a very classic light brown and black German shepherd who weighed just over 80lbs...Is there any way to estimate how big he might get from this info?

the last 3 days has been great. I don't know if my dog is freakishly intelligent, or if my expectations were just massively lower than they should have been. 

He is now halter trained and runs on a leash with absolutely no incident. He's crate trained and slept 6 hours without a sound last night, but woke me up when he had to go out at 8am. He is now willing to go up and down the stairs without any whining, and he was a perfect gentleman when i took him with me to an outdoor cafe for lunch. 

Considering that he had never been around people other than the guy who owned his mother, had never even seen a collar or leash, had never touched a stair, and had never been in any sort of crate or box, I'd say his learning curve has me pretty dang impressed

I live in an Apt, but i'm highly active and he'll be hiking and camping with me often. I'm just a bit concerned because i'm reading a lot that says that Huskys make very challenging apt dogs... Can anyone who has one of these dogs give me a little info on what i'm getting myself into?

post-11869-0-91728500-1400477935_thumb.j

Aw, he's beautiful :D welcome to Husky-Owners! Unfortunately with a mixed breed there really is little way to guesstimate how big he's gonna get. However judging from his cute little paws, it looks like he's gonna grow more Husky-like in size. I don't live in an apartment, but I think the only reason why Huskies make "challenging apartment dogs" is because of their tendency to woo-woo. They're generally quiet dogs, but when they want something they'd make very sure you hear them :lol:

post-6001-0-79290500-1400355718.gif to post-6001-0-54993900-1400355730.jpg

the only thing I can add (never had a pup), I have also always had gsd's and a husky is nothing like a gsd you will find this out esp if the husky is more in your mix then the gsd...
other then that he is a beaut and have fun...

Welcome.

I have Huskies and a White GSD

Both breeds have completely different temperaments.

The mix should make for some interesting traits.

Good luck

post-1354-0-70052200-1389473934_thumb.jp

WOW beautiful pup!

I have a husky GSD cross and luckily she's got the calmer GSD temperament, She still does the loopy husky thing from time to time, but mostly she's pretty laid back. :)

Hi there and welcome to the forum!

As mentioned you could get a mix of either traits. Best thing to do would be to look up the sizes and characteristics of both breeds, so you've got some idea of what to expect.

Gorgeous lil pup btw! [emoji7]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Chris!  Welcome to the pack.  Great looking pup.  I think the issue with apartment dwellers, is the lack of enclosed green space that is your own.  But if you take them out for walks, stimulate their brain with training, and play with them enough, should not be an issue.  You may want to look into crate training, so when you have to leave him alone, he's got a safe and secure place to keep him out of trouble while you are not home.  Size and temperament wise, only time will tell.  Anything genetic is going to be a toss up at this point, until he grows and develops more.  Best of luck.

What a pretty baby xxxx keep us updated with pics as they grow fast. ( my hubby will approve your name choice, the reason we didn't re name solo when we adopted us that is as close to star wars I would allow lol)

well, i've reached a bump in training. He will come on command MOST of the time, but teaching him to sit is a PITA... he knows what i mean, and does it about 10% of the time. The rest of the time, he throws a MASSIVE tantrum, runs through every room in the house, then runs back and yaps at me before flopping down on his stomach and staring at me. 

This is almost certainly his husky half in action, because i've never had a german shepherd do anything like that

Hiya I have a husky and a husky cross gsd. My cross is actually more mental than my full husky she is definitely a he'll of alot more husky than gsd the only gsd side she really has is more nervousness and she keeps watch of the house etc and barks more however she is also alot more loyal than my husky but would still run off lol

I resolved the problem. Got myself a clicker and some treats that he likes a lot better. I've also started doing training before feedings so he's far more interested in treats. 

He's now responding 100% to sit commands while inside the house... of course, outside, it's hit or miss, but i'm fine with that for the moment