My 14 Week Old Husky Bites For Attention And It Hurts :(

Linah

My husky is almost 4 months old (born March 2nd, 2014) and he likes to bite my feet, legs, hands, arms for attention and the longer I take to respond the harder the bites get. I've tried ignoring him and turning my body 45 degrees away from him until he stops but that just makes him bite harder, so I remove myself and leave the room but that doesn't have an effect on when I see him the next time because he keeps on biting. I've tried yelling No! that doesn't even affect him. I've tried holding his snout and yelling No! and not letting go until he calms down, that just gets him to come back and bites me harder as soon as I let go (he thinks I'm playing with him? idk). I even tried pulling him away every time he bites, he just comes back and bites harder. I don't know what to do, and it's starting to get painful as he's teething he bites harder than usual. He bites on my clothes all the time, and when I try pulling them out of his mouth yelling No! he tugs on them harder. I tried yelping too, doesn't affect him. 

Is this normal? How should I handle it? and how long until I can see results and behavioral change? 

Also, I ran into a lady who had a german shepard for 7 years and she told me that it's normal for puppies to be like that and that they grow out of it on their own before they reach one year. Is that true? 

It is pretty normal.

I would try 'time-outs' just keep a lead/leash on him inside , say "no bite" or something similar and take him either outside or in a room where he can't destroy anything. You probably only need around 10 seconds before letting him out. If he does it again do it for 15 seconds etc etc. Don't shout either as this will often just excite your puppy.

Best of luck and be patient, it is very normal puppy behaviour. 

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

welcome to the pack , find one method and stick with it , the more you change it the more confused he will get and the longer it will take,  instead of you leaving the room , remove him from the room (keep a long lead/line on him) he will soon learn that biting means the 'fun' stops , it might take abit longer now to see results as its been going on for some time with lots of different methods to stop him , but be patient , stay calm and positive and you will see results 

another thing i did with mine is when they licked say 'give kisses' once they learnt that i could redirect the biting into licks instead , which meant they fun didn't have to stop but the biting did as they would then lick instead :) 

I had him for about four weeks now. 

Ah, there you go then. He's still adjusting. Be patient, you're already on the right track. Pick one method and stick with it. It's gonna take time but your hard work will pay off in the end :)

I had him for about four weeks now. 

there you go^^ 

ive had Freya for that long and she is only JUST starting to listen. but she is also 3 months older.

just stick to your guns and be patient! i reckon all her wants to do atm is push your buttons and see what he can get away with^^

Our vet gave us great advice when we were having trouble with Mika biting. She was given to us much to young and biting was still a fun game for her. So to correct the problem, when they bite gently press your thumb down on their tongue while saying "No bite" and let go. It took roughly a week of this and she never bit again after that.

• 2 months later...

I was just wondering if your Pup is still biting.  We've been having the same issue with ours, except now she is 11 months.  We've had her since she was 3 months.. and we tried all the tricks.  She is much better with me but will still bite my kids, she has gotten more gentle with it but the kids cannot run around with her in the back yard or play to active with her in the house or she will bite them.  It's not aggressive at all.. but it still hurts.  We had a trainer come to our house, he reccomended leaving about a 2 ft chain leash hanging from her collar so when she gets into that mode you take her by the leash right away and get her to sit.  It's been our #1 issue with our puppy.  Her nipping is very intentional..if I'm walking her and stop to talk to someone, I will put her in a sit/stay, she will only sit for so long, like an impatient child, then she will come over and nip my butt (like saying I'm done, let's go) - she's almost pulled my shorts down a few times by trying to pull me away..

I was just wondering if your Pup is still biting.  We've been having the same issue with ours, except now she is 11 months.  We've had her since she was 3 months.. and we tried all the tricks.  She is much better with me but will still bite my kids, she has gotten more gentle with it but the kids cannot run around with her in the back yard or play to active with her in the house or she will bite them.  It's not aggressive at all.. but it still hurts.  We had a trainer come to our house, he reccomended leaving about a 2 ft chain leash hanging from her collar so when she gets into that mode you take her by the leash right away and get her to sit.  It's been our #1 issue with our puppy.  Her nipping is very intentional..if I'm walking her and stop to talk to someone, I will put her in a sit/stay, she will only sit for so long, like an impatient child, then she will come over and nip my butt (like saying I'm done, let's go) - she's almost pulled my shorts down a few times by trying to pull me away..

She's in teenage stage. It's not that your training is not working, but it's just that she's in that "I want to know if I can bend the rules" phase. Stick with your guns and simply show her that no rules are bendable in the house. She'd snap out of it in a few months :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, sorry for the late reply. 

With my husky, the best method was using an anti-biting spray. A spray that I read about online that you spray on stuff that you don't want your dog nipping at (including your hands) and your dog will stop. I couldn't find it in stores, so I looked up a recipe online and made one myself. It's totally harmless. Just mix 2 parts lemon juice with 1 part white vinegar. The smell fades away within a day max, and an hour from your hands, but it does get the message across to your dog. He just takes one lick and immediately spits out my hand at the beginning, then he started smelling the thing before biting on it after two days, then he just stopped biting the stuff that are usually sprayed (the couch, my hands, my shoes, etc) Within a week I saw improvements with his behavior, and was able to preserve what's left of my mom's sofa. 

Another method that also helped, was leaving him in the room when he misbehaved and returning after two minutes. Sometimes it worked, I could see how regretful he is as he crawls to me when I got back. It was so cute, I couldn't take it lol.

There's an air horn that a few dog trainers recommended to me to help train my dog, it's supposed to make them stop what they're doing when they hear it and they don't like the sound of it. So, they'll eventually stop doing it. Humans can't hear it. Maybe you can use that for when your dog bites other dogs.  

Also, as he gets older he gets calmer and better behaved on his own (he's 6 months now), so it should get easier eventually. I know that when dogs get neutered they get calmer, so that's what I'm planning to do when my puppy hits 7 months. 

Good luck! 

• 2 weeks later...

My husky is almost 4 months old (born March 2nd, 2014) and he likes to bite my feet, legs, hands, arms for attention and the longer I take to respond the harder the bites get. I've tried ignoring him and turning my body 45 degrees away from him until he stops but that just makes him bite harder, so I remove myself and leave the room but that doesn't have an effect on when I see him the next time because he keeps on biting. I've tried yelling No! that doesn't even affect him. I've tried holding his snout and yelling No! and not letting go until he calms down, that just gets him to come back and bites me harder as soon as I let go (he thinks I'm playing with him? idk). I even tried pulling him away every time he bites, he just comes back and bites harder. I don't know what to do, and it's starting to get painful as he's teething he bites harder than usual. He bites on my clothes all the time, and when I try pulling them out of his mouth yelling No! he tugs on them harder. I tried yelping too, doesn't affect him. 

Is this normal? How should I handle it? and how long until I can see results and behavioral change? 

Also, I ran into a lady who had a german shepard for 7 years and she told me that it's normal for puppies to be like that and that they grow out of it on their own before they reach one year. Is that true? 

It seems to read my story, yesterday Iwark bite my gf so hard that he made her cry, because it was not playing, he was literally attacking her. It is start to be too much, there is no one interaction between us that is not painful for us, we cannot literally touch him, that he start to bite. We tried all the tricks we read online, making sounds to show the pain (high pitch), close in another room me or him, ... nothing. 

15205758082_56995bdb99_n.jpg

This is just one of many bites that lead to blood.

When you put in the other room, he will stop, but it is just about the fact that we interrupt the physical contact. But, if you go again to pet him or anything he will start again regardless if it is past 1 min or 1 hour(because he go to sleep somewhere and don't consider you). So definitely, it is not giving any result, because we can't still pet him or having any contact. 

Other techniques, such simulating the sound of having pain, don't do anything, rather opposite today more I was doing it, more he was getting excited. 

Giving him a toy? If he want to play with they toy he does otherwise he jump over the toy and bite your hand. Training him about "good hand!" feeding you doesn't work. 

Today, I try something different such as wash my hands with  vinegar  and let him try to bite it. He tired but then watch me with a disgusted face and left my hand.

ps: I perfectly know he understands everything, he just do this because he knows he can go away with that.

Today, I try something different such as wash my hands with  vinegar  and let him try to bite it. He tired but then watch me with a disgusted face and left my hand.

That's what worked with me. I keep vinegar mixed with lemon juice in a spray bottle, and spray it on my hands whenever he tries to bite too much. It has helped a lot within a week.