Guess Who's Back Again?

BlueWolf

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep :( The only story I know is that he suddenly snapped to one of their children, and bitten a neighbour that wanted to pet him?

I just wrote a lengthy reply about what I think happened but it felt very opinionated and unfair to the people so I scratched it... Let me just chronically tell you the events that happened (as I experienced them) and see what you all make of it.

First of all. Gijs originally came here after being severely neglected. His only experience of 'homes' are bad things. Shortly after I started my second internship he got rehomed and was brought back 5 days later. The story: He bit a child. Later on we heard more details which was that he bit a mentally disabled child while he was on a chain in a office with no parents around to witness. Gijs came back very, very scared. Especially when seeing children he started cowering on a corner. Feel free to make your own judgements here, but our guess was that he was punished quite badly shortly after biting the child and has now become afraid of children.

This is were I started spending more time with him. I noticed he was as good as gold when calm and with no distractions nearby. No problems with other dogs. Even when he's being annoying with the others through the fence I can just grab him and he'll be all quiet again. Even when I tried initiating wild play as a test and he doesn't even uses his mouth. He's a bit clumsy but very gently. For the entire time I know him I have never ever seen any form of aggression on him towards people. Last week while walking him I passed some children. He looked at them but it was very easy to focus him back to me.

Yesterday a couple showed up. They walked him and had the same experience as I always have with him walking. A very gently dog that, after some time, is very focused on you. They liked them but were told about his history. They decided to drive back and pick up their two children and see how they would react. The children were very soft with Gijs, and Gijs immediately liked them. We did a walk together (initially just them - just so he doesn't get focused on the people he already knows) and all was well. The children made him sit before handing him a treat and he responded great to them. Gijs loved the children and the children loved Gijs. Both two of the staff and I agreed the match looked perfect, they looked ready for him. They even gave me their address if I wanted to visit him. They went away while one of their children was holding his leash.

And today I got the message he was being brought back due to suddenly trying to bit their child and biting their neighbour while petting him. They told us he went all crazy. He was picked up yesterday at 5pm and brought back 2pm today. Put him back in his kennel and got nothing of cuddles of him...

That's the story. Before I put my own opinion out, what do you all make of this?

that sounds to me like he has had a negative experience recently with children - it's such a shame poor boy he looks like he has so much love to give :(

can you talk to your parents and see if they would let you take him? 

that sounds to me like he has had a negative experience recently with children - it's such a shame poor boy he looks like he has so much love to give :(

can you talk to your parents and see if they would let you take him? 

The feeling that I have to do something with him has only grown over the past few days. He just keeps coming back even when he's gone. For the last two weeks there haven't been many nights were he hasn't appeared in one of my dreams one way or another. And the same goes for the opposite way, as soon as he sees or hears me he's all focused on me. He's the first dog I see in the morning and he has the happiest face on you'll see all day.

I would so love it to bring him home. His latest story hasn't scared me away of him at all. In fact, if feels like I only know better what to expect if I take him home. The only problem here is that no way I could rehome him to our home. Our two (nowadays old and slightly demented) cats aren't dog friendly and there is no way I can put my parents up with a dog. They are very clear in that and I respect that. If I lived on my own he would've been with me from the first day I saw him, but alas... I'm all ready for him, the only thing that isn't is the time.

So my best bet would be finding someone (preferably nearby) that is willing to take him. One that has no children and knows how to be around with (potentially) scared dogs. The only dog people I know right now sadly all have more than enough dogs...

:( I somehow assume that bite was not a real bite. Maybe he just nipped, to simply communicate "stop, I don't like that". About the neighbor; it is no secret that the general public does not know how to approach a dog. They generally assume all dogs are okay having a hand hovering above their head. Well... flash news, some aren't. I'd bite too if I were a dog and put in that position. Lack of understanding is all there is to it, IMO :(

Aw, Gijs you know I'd take you if I could. Good luck finding that forever home, handsome xx

Awwwww poor guy pulled from pillar to post . . . new family kids, noise too   

All too much in a short period of time.

Not surprised he felt stressed and snapped at his new people.

It feels like I keep hearing about a different Gijs than the one I know and am seeing in front of me. Am not saying the others are lying. In fact, I'm not afraid to say that the things I thought of Gijs turned out to be wrong. But after a lot of thinking I still come to the conclussion that the things others tell me just don't really line up. I could be wrong, but my gut feelings are telling me different things. It does however appear that he acts differently in a home than when he's here (even though he's very stressed being here).

I would love to know what ticked him off for doing this. I think due to his bad experiences previously he felt a bit back to his previous self and became afraid again. But to be honest, for any dog just got rehomed you have to take that into account. And they were all told about that by us as well. It takes a couple of weeks, even months for them to adjust. 24 hours is definitely not enough. I will take their word that he (tried to) bite someone but I cannot imagine it happened just unprovoked. Nor if it was an actual aggressive bite. But especially with children around I can imagine that they got a bit of a scare. I'm afraid that's all what took them to stop trusting them hence bringing him back shortly after... He never got the time to adjust, nor a second chance.

:( I somehow assume that bite was not a real bite. Maybe he just nipped, to simply communicate "stop, I don't like that". About the neighbor; it is no secret that the general public does not know how to approach a dog. They generally assume all dogs are okay having a hand hovering above their head. Well... flash news, some aren't. I'd bite too if I were a dog and put in that position. Lack of understanding is all there is to it, IMO :(

Aw, Gijs you know I'd take you if I could. Good luck finding that forever home, handsome xx

That's what so confusing me though. They had all the good intentions and knew what they were getting into. They travelled to the opposite side of the country for a shelter to look for a dog (but failed) before coming to us. They wanted to pick a dog that they truly felt the most comfortable with. It really sounded like they got all bases covered. Now it feels like their word against my gut feeling. Right now my gut feeling is winning but I cannot just act as if it never happened. I want to make a conclusion of this story but I cannot find it yet.

Oh, Jos, you know that there are so many things going on when a new dog gets brought home - excitement and a scared dog just don't mix. 

With what is becoming a bad history (biting or snapping under stress) I hope you can find a home for him with someone who has no kids and is laid back enough to take it in stride until Gijs gets a chance to relax.  (( you pronounce that as Gees? ))

Oh, Jos, you know that there are so many things going on when a new dog gets brought home - excitement and a scared dog just don't mix. 

With what is becoming a bad history (biting or snapping under stress) I hope you can find a home for him with someone who has no kids and is laid back enough to take it in stride until Gijs gets a chance to relax.  (( you pronounce that as Gees? ))

Gijs as in ice with a hard G in front of it. Actually, there is no good English equivalent of our G, here is Google Translate doing a good job at pronouncing it.

Today he literally jumped on my for a hug when he saw me. He's been very happy and playful today. When I wanted to leave he sat down and started leaning on my leg. When I started scratching his ears he nearly fell asleep. Looked sad when I had to leave eventually :(

It sounds like he needs someone like you to be hos owner. Someone who can give him the time and space to gain his trust.

To be honest I'm surprised they let him be rehomed in a place with children given his previous home.

Some.dogs just can't live in certain types of environments. I know, our snowy had 4 previous owners at 4.5 months.

Good luck, it must be.so hard for you.

It sounds like he needs someone like you to be hos owner. Someone who can give him the time and space to gain his trust.

To be honest I'm surprised they let him be rehomed in a place with children given his previous home.

Some.dogs just can't live in certain types of environments. I know, our snowy had 4 previous owners at 4.5 months.

Good luck, it must be.so hard for you.

So am I tbh. But we only allowed him to be rehomed with older children. And besides, they saw and met him as well before they took them. I said before, they responded great to each other. Three of us saw it was good and decided to let him go. Apparently we were all wrong and I'm still surprised by that  :unsure: Not going to do that again. We need an owner that understands him and allows him to get adjusted even if that means ignoring him until he himself decides that he's ready to interact with people.

Have you thought about giving him a bit of time to adjust to a family with children. From the way I read it  the family showed an interest in him, turned up and spent a little time with him and it was decided that everything was ok so let him go. How about giving a family a few visits and let them play with him and adapt in a controlled environment. We have a shelter near us and they would never let you go off with a dog on just one showing. Maybe a period stretched over a couple of weeks, one week at the shelter and the following week at the family address, and then, if everything goes ok, let him go. The biggest problem that you have is that you can't see what's happening once he leaves you and that might be the part that's letting you down.

Gary.

Have you thought about giving him a bit of time to adjust to a family with children. From the way I read it  the family showed an interest in him, turned up and spent a little time with him and it was decided that everything was ok so let him go. How about giving a family a few visits and let them play with him and adapt in a controlled environment. We have a shelter near us and they would never let you go off with a dog on just one showing. Maybe a period stretched over a couple of weeks, one week at the shelter and the following week at the family address, and then, if everything goes ok, let him go. The biggest problem that you have is that you can't see what's happening once he leaves you and that might be the part that's letting you down.

Gary.

People can always come and see the dog they're interested in, even taking them for a walk. The thing is, he's all happy and dandy no matter how many times you visit him. It's only when you bring him to a different environment he becomes scared and, apparently, can bite. These people were with him all day. Even drove all the way back to get their kids and see how they'd react. We would never let a dog go if we can't see the click between them. There is always a 'try-out' period of two weeks (which you can extend to another two weeks if needed). Bringing a dog to a home, back to the shelter and back to a home doesn't really sound like a good plan to me. That will only confuse the dog and delay the bonding with the people I think, especially with one that's very insecure.

I would be more than happy if he stayed with a family for more than 7 days. His maximum so far for him is 5...

One of the staff is already thinking of bringing him to her home once in a while (she lives nearby) to see if he's any different in a home situation, or at least make him get used to it. I think that's a great idea. If the weather permits it I'm going out for a long walk with him this week, to meet some other dogs and people. Or at the very least letting him see a bit more than just the shelter.