Meet Nook

greg2204

Hi Nice site, we have just re-homed a husky (possible cross) He is an amazing natured dog with loads of energy..

We think he is crossed with an alaskan malamute due to him being really broad and hairy

Any thoughts to what you think he is crossed with?

Looking forward to the forums users tips for looking after this great dog :)

post-11902-0-87059500-1401299819_thumb.j

post-11902-0-23041400-1401299828_thumb.j

post-11902-0-34744700-1401299831_thumb.j

Hi and Welcome.

Could be a Huskamute.

The ears are slightly offset whereas most husky ears are straight up.

Mals have a much broader skull between the ears and are generally very wooly.

Hi Sarah, we got him from a couple who had to move to a non animal friendly landlords property,  however they were his second home after a re-home from his first owners,  they said his 1st owners thought he was a huskamute but thats the only information that they could provide.. He was well looked after and is healthy just shame he is on home 3, his last home though! even after 1 day of having him hes part of the family :) 

ohh yeah, the digging, contortion, scaling fences, chewing when bored etc.. Im at home all day now so Its 3-4 walks a day with at least one being a 1hr 30...  Just a shame the weather is so poor at the moment! 

Is it normal for them to just sit out in the rain for hours at a time? 

Pretty normal.... they're all different, just like people. Our Kallie could care less if she went out in the rain, but hates having a bath. 

Thank you for rescuing and welcome to H-O :wave: I do agree his physical features don't exactly resemble a purebred Husky, but then again he could simply be a case of bad/careless breeding. My Husky is a purebred with papers, yet he is only 15.7 inches/41 cm tall from paw to the withers. Somebody on here asked whether he was crossed with a Klee Kai :)

Welcome to the forum, he looks great and possibly has Mal in him as you and others have guessed. It is so nice to hear that you have given him a forever home. 

I think with all the exercise you are giving him he will tone up and then it may be possible to see his origins more clearly. I also believe that you can do a DNA test if you are really keen to find out. Having said that I can't vouch for how accurate these tests are.

Pretty normal.... they're all different, just like people. Our Kallie could care less if she went out in the rain, but hates having a bath. 

ahh thats good to hear!

Looks like a husky x mal he is like my girl zena very stocky like a mal. Do research mals in case he has got mal in him as there harder then sibes with there temperament

yeah I'm keeping an eye on him for temperament, he seems soft as clarts just very playfull! 

Welcome to the forum, he looks great and possibly has Mal in him as you and others have guessed. It is so nice to hear that you have given him a forever home. 

I think with all the exercise you are giving him he will tone up and then it may be possible to see his origins more clearly. I also believe that you can do a DNA test if you are really keen to find out. Having said that I can't vouch for how accurate these tests are.

I think a few month of exercise will do him well (and me) with grooming see how his coat and body settle to his optimum,  dunno about this winging at 5:15am haha, suppose I get to watch some old frasier re runs while he lays in the rain :)

Hello and welcome to the forum. You will find everyone is really helpful and ask as many questions as you need.

How old is he and what's his name? We also like to see lots of pics :)

I hope you understand Huskies shouldn't be allowed off lead, they will most likely run away, they have selective hearing and a very high prey drive.

They are super sensitive, mostly intelligent, though my older boy isn't and they have very individual personalities. They are a full on breed but bring so much joy. As long as you are prepared, they are the best breed ever.

everything thank you so much for the amazingly warm welcome!

JUst to reiterate He is called Nook although I would like to change it but its not important and he is 3 next month

Had a issue with someone with a boxer today in our local park. Nook is friendly to all dogs so I let him go near, the owner of the boxer did too but yanked his chain all tense when they were sniffing causing the boxer to feel his stress and tried to attack him. Nook just battered him off and carried on like nothing happened. 2 mins later another dog came up they sniffed had a bit play and on we went..  I will be more careful in future, of the owners not the dogs.

On another note I have been to pets at home, got him a new much bigger water bowl, Some ph balanced spray for when he really stinks after grooming, a nice microfiber mitt to dry his belly after walks in the wet. some denture sticks, a few dry treats and some wainwrights hypo allergenic food to wean him off the pedigree chum complete they have had him on.. Then in prep for a raw food diet at some point.