Do You Remember ....

Removed #5

Nope we rarely use the letters on a keypad to memorize number over here.

So not got a clue

When I was a kid our phone number was five digits long, then for reasons I don't understand they stuck the number 8 at the start of it.

My best friends area code kept changing too. Outer London was 081 then it changed to 0181, and then finally it became 0208. Was a nightmare trying to remember it as these changes all happened pretty much within the space of ten years!

I always had enough crap running round in my head without remembering phone numbers, I don't even know my mobile number and I had same one for at least 15 years  :o As for what you have posted I could work it out I suppose but not without looking at my phone  :P

Looking at your phone wouldn't help at all.  This falls into the category that you've experienced it and know what it is or you haven't.

I'm surprised that none of our more mature people from the US haven't chimed in.  Britain did, admittedly, use a different system.

Ah, the old party lines. Our number was 3076. When the phone rang double rungs we could pick up to take the call. Of course if we went to make a call, often we would hear the neighbor talking to someone on the other end. So you had to hang up and try later.

Ah, the old party lines. Our number was 3076. When the phone rang double rungs we could pick up to take the call. Of course if we went to make a call, often we would hear the neighbor talking to someone on the other end. So you had to hang up and try later.

Bingo!!!!  I'm not sure how many people we had on our line, I think it was everyone down the road - probably in the vicinity of 8 - 10 families.  Our ring was two short rings, then pause and two more short rings.  Since most of us were related - aunts / cousins / etc, it wasn't unusual to pick up the phone, find someone on it and just join the conversation.

Anyone else have a "do you remember ...??"

If not, and just to pass this one while you're thinking - why / when would you want to clean a glass chimney??

(( "because it's dirty" doesn't count! ))

Edited by Al Jones

I also remember the tv ads at the end would say for the phone........Garfield 1 2323, and they would sing it, now that was wayyyy back when i was a kid, and look i still can remember that stupid number !!!!!  I looked it up and its a window and siding company, still in biz