Crappy Situation

Mobezilla

So I came to vent. Because I don't know what else to do with myself. Last Thursday my apartment flooded with sewage water from a main pipe. The only thing the landlord had done was someone come in with a shop vac and suck up half the water. It still took five days for the carpet to dry out after that, I was stepping in puddles everywhere and the towels were soaking right through. Every day I had the windows open, and a fan blowing, and the temperature down to 65. I tried to dry it out but there's only so much I could do, and the place STANK and the stench is still JUST as strong right now. I went over to my boyfriend's Wednesday through today to get away from it. The landlord originally was going to have the place professionally cleaned, but then he came into our apartment when I was gone for the couple of days, and lied and said that it did NOT STINK. So he was NOT going to even have it cleaned as he did not deem it necessary. Yet LEGALLY it is a HEALTH HAZARD and he has to actually have the carpet and the padding REPLACED since mold is growing under the carpet not to mention its NASTY SEWAGE WATER soaked into our carpet and padding! Well I've been telling my mom this, as shes the main tenant, but she will not stand up to the landlord as he is "lenient" with the dogs by allowing them to be here and she fears he will evict us if we try to force him to replace the carpet. There are a ton of people in my building who have dogs despite a supposed no dog policy, and my mom asked the landlord for permission to have the dogs here before I moved in which he granted so I can't see how he can revoke his permission. There's nothing I can do, Yuki is coughing and sneezing already despite the fact we JUST got back to the apartment a couple hours ago, and I am getting a major migraine from the stench. I plan on moving out as soon as I find somewhere that allows the dogs, there's a couple places my boyfriend is helping me find near the new job, but I will need to wait for my next paycheck in two weeks before I have enough money for a deposit and first months rent. I'm feeling helpless and frustrated with myself because my pups are suffering because I wasn't prepared for a situation like this. I hate the feeling so much I can't stop crying. 

I won't even step foot on your apartment if that's how the condition is =\ can you not stay at your boyfriend's until next paycheck? I can't believe your landlord refused to do anything. If he has financial problems and can't hire a professional cleaning service, he could've simply told you that :huh: about the eviction thing, do you have a written permission with the landlord's signature that says he grants access to your dogs? If not, then I'm afraid there's nothing you can do. He could easily turn his words around and you'd have no grounds to prove he has allowed you to have the dogs.

I won't even step foot on your apartment if that's how the condition is =\ can you not stay at your boyfriend's until next paycheck? I can't believe your landlord refused to do anything. If he has financial problems and can't hire a professional cleaning service, he could've simply told you that :huh: about the eviction thing, do you have a written permission with the landlord's signature that says he grants access to your dogs? If not, then I'm afraid there's nothing you can do. He could easily turn his words around and you'd have no grounds to prove he has allowed you to have the dogs.

Cannot. The stress from one of his dogs and Link being together is too much to bear. I get super anxious since they don't totally get along when they're together for several days. I'm looking into apartments to move into and it will eventually look up, this situation is just making me feel frustrated and annoyed and I had to vent it out. And there may be something written, we did have something signed that said the dogs had permission to be here, but the landlord probably has the only copy as I'm afraid my mom probably lost hers to be honest and he could probably just rip it up.. 

So sorry to hear this Megan, like you said yourself raw sewage can be very bad for your health. I can't believe he won't sort it out?!

Does your landlord own the other affected properties too? If he does it might help to get together with the other tenants and fight this as a group. Unless he's got no business sense at all, he would have to be a fool to evict the entire neighbourhood and a group does tend to speak louder. In the uk we have the environmental health agency who deal with stuff like this.... Do you have a similar organisation in the states you could contact?

I know its harsh but you really need to put yours and your mums health first. You must call environmental health, seriously you are in danger!

If he wants to kick you out it is surely going to take time, I don't think these things can be done over night, so if that is something he will try to do, hopefully you would have already moved out.

You really can't mess around and take the risk with raw sewage, I would get you all out NOW!

Good luck.

Unfortunately as I said originally.. although legally I SHOULD have new carpet, since I am not the tenant, I have no say in it. My mom has to be the one to call in and complain.. which she won't. And Emma... my neighbors are shady. I wouldn't talk to them for the time of day. I really appreciate the advice but its honestly a situation where I can do nothing. I will be buying and replacing the carpet myself when I get paid on the 15th, but the feeling of helplessness and frustration that night was too much to bear so I had to vent here </3 Only 15 more days to survive! ;)

Thanks emma xx and yeah Liv I know shes just that type of person wont complain about anything urghh. I just realized I didn't explain differently from the first post that I'm just gonna replace the carpet and worry about moving out after I've saved up a bit.. I want to find a decent place and not be rushed to move out. Plus replacing the carpet will only be $400, which is $400 less than a months of rent and deposit lol.

Can you not ring up on behalf of your mum and say she is to scared to ring as you might be evicted? If its a health and safety issue then they have to do something I don't know how it works over there but here if I remember correctly from previous experience they have to replace it and if it can't be done within a certain time they can help you find some where to stay in the mean time (it might be different now here but a friend had something similar happen and that's what they did)

If your concerned for safety I'm pretty sure they will do something worth a try?

Hope you get it sorted soon and your landlord sees the light and does the right thing x