Fruits And Veggies Bad For Dogs?

Bambi92

Since Phoenix has been eating solids Sasha has taken a liking in eating food he eats and at 10months old he's worked out she likes it and gives it to her lol

So wondering what isn't good for near?

She will eat anything he has and some of it she would never even smell before today he had apple, pear, banana and mango for lunch and she ate some of it she's fine so I'm guessing there ok lol

Some of his dinners have capsicum (that doesn't look like its spelt right!) onion (very smell amounts) and a bunch of other random stuff that not even I eat lol

So my question is

What fruits are bad for her?

What veggies are bad for her?

And should she being having any of it everyday?

They love to share and use each other as distractions to get to things they shouldn't be (like my dinner last night lol)

Thanks in advance!

Fruits and veggies should only be given as a supplemental food (in plain English; treats) as they hold no nutritional benefits to our dogs. Any seed is dangerous so if you remove the seeds they're mostly OK. My boy eats apples and pears as well. He tried banana once but then lost interest the next day. I don't know about mango but that's too good to share! :lol: with veggies I think I'd be a little extra vigilant. We all know carrots are okay, but there's just something about leafy green vegs that put me off feeding it to the dog. Onions are controversial. One side says it's good as tick repellant, one other side says it's deadly. I'd rather not take my chances, but people will always argue :)

Fruits and veggies should only be given as a supplemental food (in plain English; treats) as they hold no nutritional benefits to our dogs. Any seed is dangerous so if you remove the seeds they're mostly OK. My boy eats apples and pears as well. He tried banana once but then lost interest the next day. I don't know about mango but that's too good to share! :lol: with veggies I think I'd be a little extra vigilant. We all know carrots are okay, but there's just something about leafy green vegs that put me off feeding it to the dog. Onions are controversial. One side says it's good as tick repellant, one other side says it's deadly. I'd rather not take my chances, but people will always argue :)

Sasha never use to eat anything like it every now and then she would have a carrot or banana and age loves! Pumpkin every now and then potatoe other then take she never wanted anything until Phoenix started eating think its more he gets it why can't i lol

Onions I don't like giving dogs I won't eat onions unless there over cooked lol the only time she gets that is if Phoenix doesn't eat all his dinner and she gets the left overs but he loves his food and will give her one or two handfuls for now lol

Since this has been covered to death and I think most anything would be a repetition here are a few links you might find interesting:

and for some reason I can't find a couple that I'm looking for - getting late and I'm not all here (don't say it!)

Thanks Al Tapatalk is being a B...... Again and won't let me search or look through some stuff either that or its my phone! Damn technology!!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Here are some fruits and veggies that I feed my dogs:

Carrots

Lettuce

Celery

Cucumbers

Green Peppers

Apples (NOT the core!)

Oranges

Pineapple

Bananas

Blueberries

I give them fruits in moderation too since they are sweeter and have more sugars.  Carrots though...they usually get about 5-10 baby carrots per day at least.

Oddly, Avalanche is not impressed with fruit (very strange dog!)  but that's okay, Sasha's more than glad to get anything he doesn't want. 
She'll eat banana, apples, pears, mangos ... she's not impressed with citrus, though.

I'll state what others have suggested.  The flesh of most fruits is safe; the seeds (or pits) of most fruits are not!.  Most of them contain arsenic in various amounts and can kill in quantity.  The seeds of an apple, for example, will probably not cause an adult Husky any problem [the reason for this is that dogs digestive juices won't break the seed covering and release the arsenic] but may prove fatal to a pup or any dog who chews the seeds.

Corrected in a later post:  The seeds of these plants contain cyanide compounds, not arsenic.  Sorry for the misinformation.

Edited by Al Jones

• 4 weeks later...

Why do you say seeds contain arsenic? Is that in pesticide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure about why but yes, seeds do contain arsenic cyanide. Whatever it is, it's poison. <- worst answer ever. I'll Google it shortly.

EDIT: fresh from Wiki: Arsenic and its compounds, especially the trioxide, are used in the production of pesticides, treated wood products, herbicides, and insecticides.

I have to correct myself ... it's not arsenic that plant seeds contain, it's cyanide.  Still a potent poison, but I hate giving out wrong information.  For more accurate information see this link.

Erica, it's the biology of the plants themselves.  The seeds of most fruits contain cyanide.  As to "Why?"  I think you're going to have to ask that higher power.  If we're talking genetics, then it's a way that the plants can protect themselves against predators. 

Edited by Al Jones