Shoutbox opinions

Marc

We need your input people. I have a few issues arising from the shoutbox and on conversations with other staff members it seems everyone has different opinions on it so I need to find out what people think.

WHATS THE PROBLEM?

For some who are on slower connections, slower computers etc the shoutbox can cause issues due to the way in which is runs. Currently the shoutbox is refreshed automatically every x second on every page. For some (very few, however everyone counts) this means they constantly have to wait for the pages to refresh the shoutbox before they can see any other content.

SOLUTIONS

Well obviously one of them is that we can just leave it as it is and put up with the problem. I can however do some small fixes to it to speed up such as ensuring it doesnt scroll, reducing the refresh etc. However these are only going to make a minor difference.

Another option is that I can make it static. By this I mean it will no longer be 'live' in nature. To get the newest shouts you would have to manually refresh the shoutbox, or the page.

I can ensure the shoutbox is only shown on the main forum page. This way it is not causing issues throughout the forum and the minority of people this is causing an issue for can at least avoid it when browsing through new posts etc.

Or I can do a multiple of the above solutions.

So please can I ask you to vote on the poll above. This is not a final decision poll by any means, it is simply a pointer to us as staff to see what people think. Also feel free to post your opinions on it here, however PLEASE cast your vote if thats all you do.

I think it is great as it is now. However, we do have a chatroom for general chat so for that reason I think we can still have the shoutbox but only on the main home page. I think that way more people will use the chatroom to chat and the shoutbox will be left for any shouts (i.e. when a quiz night is about to start, etc etc).

I don't use the shoutbox, but it does not give me any issues. I would dump it, as Kevin suggested. Utilize the chatroom.

Whooops -- I voted before I read the entire rationale. Maybe leave shouts for admins and such to let us know when there's a quiz starting or whatever. Most of what I've seen is chatting that can be done in the chatroom. I'm not a voyeur or anything, but honestly, I've seen what looked to be what should have been some very private matters being discussed in shout that probably would have been better in chat, especially given that newly joined members who don't know any of us and who came here to talk about huskies would have seen it.

Whooops -- I voted before I read the entire rationale. Maybe leave shouts for admins and such to let us know when there's a quiz starting or whatever. Most of what I've seen is chatting that can be done in the chatroom. I'm not a voyeur or anything, but honestly, I've seen what looked to be what should have been some very private matters being discussed in shout that probably would have been better in chat, especially given that newly joined members who don't know any of us and who came here to talk about huskies would have seen it.

This will be gettin stopped in either case as its not what the shoutbox is for .. If you want to change your vote, please pm me with what you voted and what you would like it changed to and I'll sort it

OK guys, poll has now been closed .. Please read the announcement posted in the announce section.

Thankyou all for your responces... They all go a long way to making this site what it is :)

i keep it closed down all the time , cause i cant be bothered to keep scrolling down the page over it ,

This problem will be resolved... Only on the main page now so wont have this problem everywhere else, however I am going to limit the main page view of the shoutbox to the last 5 so that it doesnt scroll at all.