Can't They See That Fast?

loudlucky

We've had another lovely day of sun and no rain, so Smokey was all revved up outside playing the morning away!

(The little bugger is in her crate now sleeping it all off!)

Question is: when outside running like a mad dog, she does this thing where she runs in a 'crazy 8' pattern... I have no other words to describe it... when she does that, she will run into a brick wall without noticing!!!! It's like she goes "must run full speed next to, over or even into whatever!!!!

Can't they see at that pace or is it just puppy silliness that she goes mad and does not notice it???

I'm afraid she will really hurt herself or get brain damage... she runs so fast that surely she hits whatever at a big impact ;)

There's no way I can or even will attemp to stop her or can stop her hitting something... I mean the house is not moving, so she will have to stop head-butting it at some time, right???

Also when she's going mad, she chases after he own tail and will also stop at nothing before she caught it and when she then attacks it, she yelps out of pain!

I've had other dogs chasing their tails, but not so over enthusiastically that they 'attack' themselves :D

Awwww it's called the zoomies.

It's awesome when they do it indoors. . . lol

and no they don't "see" obstacles at first but they learn.

Don't worry.

Of course if she does continue to collide with things you might want to get the vet to check her eyes.

Of course if she does continue to collide with things you might want to get the vet to check her eyes.

I doubt that! She can spot a pigeon on someone's roof metres away and then she wants to bolt to attack it ;) she almost got one on the weekend :D she waits under the garden bench and when it passes by she pounces! :rofl:

But I will keep it in mind if she continues to run into stuff, thanks!

Skye bounced her face off her crate door and then the kitchen cupboard last night during a Zoomies moment, she wasn't bothered in the slightest??? i even called out after her "that's gotta hurt" she didn't care in the slightest lol

i must admit i do laugh when tala has a zoomies moment's,  normally she will go full speed from the kitchen into the living room, jump from one sofa the the other then back into the kitchen to start the loop again and god help anyone that gets in her way, well this did normally end with her sat panting under the living room coffee table until about 2 weeks ago when she couldn't have realised how much she has grown and face planted the coffee table and moved it a good couple of inches, now the zoomies end under the kitchen table lol.

Mine does the digging thing too. Stops mid zoom to dig then when i yell no digging she continues on her zoomie way. My yard is full of holes. We don't bother to fill them as her favorite holes to dig are the ones we just filled.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Edited by Chula

it could be worse, one of mine has the "zoomies" and runs about like a nutter then at random digs at super fast speed  at least twice a week i fill in holes in the garden

She does the random digging too, only sometimes she forgets she's still running and then flies head first into something!!!

Glad to hear it's normal at least for Huskies, but do they stop when they are big???

Pretty much! We actually encourage zoomies (outside) because it helps burn off her energy. We will get her nice and riled up and start with "chase" and then she gets super excited and just starts zooming. Inside zoomies - not so much! When I can feel her starting to zoom I open the back screen door and watch her fly. They're pretty amazing animals when you get to see them in an all out sprint. Mine is better about ramming into things though, she's learned to corner like she's on rails :)

Oh great, so she's gonna be bombarding her way through stuff (and keep trying brick walls??) forever...what did I get myslef into :rofl:

Mine is better about ramming into things though, she's learned to corner like she's on rails :)

Maybe I should paint her some lines with arrows outside :D

she will just have to figure out how to zoom without hitting everything then :lol:

Hmmmm.............Ok, get rid of the zoomies, which we all know they suffer from, and go into walking mode. I have had mine out on walks and they occasionally get inquisitive and start looking in peoples gardens. I immediately give the command "on by" and the head swings round, sometimes missing, but very close, and sometimes hitting an obstacle that they should have seen clearly. One dog I would have been straight to the vet with but they all seem to do it. The number of times that I've laughed at one of them for walking into something when they should have been looking where they were going is unbelievable. So what causes it. They can spot "prey" out of the corner of an eye from a phenomenal distance so why can't they see what is directly in front of them. Just thought I'd give a different aspect to the original question.

Gary.

Hmmmm.............Ok, get rid of the zoomies, which we all know they suffer from, and go into walking mode. I have had mine out on walks and they occasionally get inquisitive and start looking in peoples gardens. I immediately give the command "on by" and the head swings round, sometimes missing, but very close, and sometimes hitting an obstacle that they should have seen clearly. One dog I would have been straight to the vet with but they all seem to do it. The number of times that I've laughed at one of them for walking into something when they should have been looking where they were going is unbelievable. So what causes it. They can spot "prey" out of the corner of an eye from a phenomenal distance so why can't they see what is directly in front of them. Just thought I'd give a different aspect to the original question.

Gary.

Maybe they are farsighted?????? :rofl:

Maybe they're human-like :) did you know that when we really focus on something, our sight range is only as big as a fingernail? That fact is being used by all magicians as their advantage.

So they focus on one thing and forget the giant porcelain vase in front of them? :D seems logical... :rofl:

Ok so how to program them to make space for more than one thing in their brains...I'm guessing if one of that things are alive and moving it has no chance of competition :(

Ok so how to program them to make space for more than one thing in their brains...I'm guessing if one of that things are alive and moving it has no chance of competition :(

Trust me when I say that there are a few of us out there that do sometimes wonder. :rofl: :rofl:

Gary

Well our little Tala found out this morning how much more fun zoomies are in daddy's shop lol. loads more room and things to knock over, but at least she sleeping now lol

whoops... naughty Tala. Did she destroy anything?