Digging...

Tnicole

Gunnar has a BIG problem with digging holes in the yard... What is the easiest way to fix that? But that's not the big problem. When we're not home, we keep him in his pen outside. Then just on a random day (or all week) he will destroy it! I have no idea how to fix this either.. I have a pic of what he does to it. Does anyone else have this problem? (Btw, the black rubber stall mats are 60 pounds each with cinder blocks on top!)eduny4yh.jpgu5anemaj.jpg

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Ah, the digging is a big problem for a lot of us husky owners. My garden looked like the moon for the first year, lol. Mine just stopped doing it for the most part when they got older. I have heard people talk of putting poo in the hole to deter them but tbh they'll likely just dig elsewhere instead, also heard of training them to dig in a sandbox so they can dig still but not in your lawn.

The pen part I'm not too sure, realistically the only way I can see round it would be to cement the whole base so there's nothing to dig up, maybe others will have some more ideas?

Ah, the digging is a big problem for a lot of us husky owners. My garden looked like the moon for the first year, lol. Mine just stopped doing it for the most part when they got older. I have heard people talk of putting poo in the hole to deter them but tbh they'll likely just dig elsewhere instead, also heard of training them to dig in a sandbox so they can dig still but not in your lawn.

The pen part I'm not too sure, realistically the only way I can see round it would be to cement the whole base so there's nothing to dig up, maybe others will have some more ideas?

We have thought about cementing it, but we decided not to because it would cost a lot and we were thinking about making it bigger, and that would cost even more... Lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Mine only dig occassionally. They have learnt, by the tone of my voice , what is right and what is wrong so they are pretty good with stuff like this. We do have the odd hiccup every now and then but on the whole I think I have been very lucky with mine. The run I would cement. If you are planning on making it nice and big then ideally if it's concreted it will save all sorts of problems and you won't be worrying as to whether they have dug their way out during the day while your at work. It also saves on getting nails clipped. ;)

Gary.

• 2 months later...

I thought thor wasnt interested in digging OH HOW WRONG WAS I outside in the garden moving the soil and omg he.gets in rolling in the mud and digging think my baby needs a bath later haha. Im not much bothered at the moment as we in the process of doing the garden but obvs i would like him.not to do it when we finished. Any ideas of how to stop this?? I need grass area as my eb wont mess unless she on grass

i now have the same an area in the garden where they are allowed to dig it did take a year or 2 but that is now the only place they really dig... i tought mine by taken them there when they started digging with a firm no just before moving them and praising them when they started digging in the allowed area...

The Guy who owned our house prior to the last was a chimney sweep..   quess where he dumped the ash......... worries me when they dig not sure if its harmful?  They don't dig as much as they used to just scrapes the surface.  Noah licks the dirt though.... should I be worried??

Aurora was never a digger and the few times that she was caught doing it we just told her NO and she would stop. Pasha on the other had LOVES to dig and we have just started to see results from our efforts of scolding her when she does it. It is different for us though because we don't leave them outside by themselves because we are afraid that they will just dig under the fence. As they are really only outside with us it is easy for us to scold them when they do something we don't want them to and that is how we have pretty much broken Pasha of digging. She only does it every once in awhile now where she used to do it every time she went outside. 

• 3 weeks later...

Here is photo evidence of  a digging expedition in the back garden.  Thank you to the chimney sweep.  Took us ages to clean them up.  Took them down the beach Noah came back clean Bella took a couple more days to look like a black and tan rather than a totally Black GSD.. 

This how Bella's eyes look  sometimes because of her blindness.  There like little mirrors and its quite spooky at night as they glow a florescent green, red or yellow..   

post-12200-0-71226600-1410005483_thumb.j

post-12200-0-56968800-1410005647_thumb.j

Wheres the pic you have of Darwin's back end showing out of a hole dad?

couldn't find it  :(

I heard sandbox is good; and ramps, tunnel to run through and stuff to play with. Tyre on rope hanging off pole or a tree is good too....

But loneliness is also likely. If you can't cope with another puppy stage look at preloved or rehomes.. careful checking will no doubt find one that ticks all your boxes. (Todflers, kids, people, other dogs, cats eg...)

Arrange to coincide home coming with at least a week's break at home...two even better with going out in 2nd week for gradually extending periods from 2 mins to a few hours....anxiety separation will hopefully reduce with two's company....and reward and praise if no damage done....

You could go out but come back in real soon...if caught out digging make loud NOs ...LEAVE ...and try again - out for a few mins......until the message gets through which it should.....

I tell Chester to 'wait...I'll be back'.... and although his look should drop me dead on the spot before I depart, all is forgiven when we're home!

Nobel48...is digging indicative of wanting a hidey hole to go into...ie a den? What if you created a concrete or wooden den in the ground,

?...I've thought of this even though Chester doesn't really dig much at all. My Westies did more! He likes his covered crate indoors.....