New With Rescue Husky

Nikknoo

Hello

I'm new here and a new dog owner with a gorgeous lovable rescue Husky who is around 8-9 months.

She's s beautiful pup, a bit smaller then your average husky & really well behaved. We only picked her up on Sunday and feel she has settled well into the family. Ghost is very nervous but we're working on that. Being a rescue pup we knew we were in for a challenge. Unfortunately the shelter omitted to tell us how bad her health is. The mange on her legs is horrific it's so upsetting & we realised today that she has kennel cough. Ghost is such a delight it breaks my heart to see her suffering. We have little information if her past but judging by her traits I don't think it was good.

As new dog owners we haven't made things easy for ourselves so we would apperciate any tips and despite reading hours worth of husky literature, getting some 1st hand advice will be brilliant. I can't wait to hear all your stories and see some pics!!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm new to raising a Husky myself... And the first dog I've ever owned... All I can say is patience and repetition is key and ignore them after they've been bad! Be firm, stand tall, and nothing is free! Even then my little man has attitude and can be fussy! But he's a sweetheart! I'd recommend doing some training classes and try to find a pretty trainer who's used to Huskies, after Ghost feels better though! Poor pup! Here's a photo of Ender, who is 10 months old:

Here's Ender after puppy class the other day, all tired.

nuza3y4e.jpg

Welcome! Bless you for taking on a rescue that obviously was not getting the love and care it deserved. I don't have my husky yet, he's just a teeny pup and not ready to come home yet, but I raised/showed/bred other breeds for years so I'll try to help with whatever I can. In this place there will definitely be no lack of first hand husky knowledge though! Everyone on the forums is friendly and full of great advice. You'll love it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello

I'm new here and a new dog owner with a gorgeous lovable rescue Husky who is around 8-9 months.

She's s beautiful pup, a bit smaller then your average husky & really well behaved. We only picked her up on Sunday and feel she has settled well into the family. Ghost is very nervous but we're working on that. Being a rescue pup we knew we were in for a challenge. Unfortunately the shelter omitted to tell us how bad her health is. The mange on her legs is horrific it's so upsetting & we realised today that she has kennel cough. Ghost is such a delight it breaks my heart to see her suffering. We have little information if her past but judging by her traits I don't think it was good.

As new dog owners we haven't made things easy for ourselves so we would apperciate any tips and despite reading hours worth of husky literature, getting some 1st hand advice will be brilliant. I can't wait to hear all your stories and see some pics!!

Hey there and welcome.

You didn't mention whether or not you brought your new pup to the vet yet. I am assuming you did unless it's self diagnosed kennel cough. My husky had Kennel Cough a couple years ago and it's really tough. A little bit of honey helps soothe their throat/supress the cough I was giving it to mine 2-3x a day, just a little teaspoon full. Don't let your dog be in contact with any other dogs as it's highly contagious.

I had it reallllllllllllly easy with my first husky. He was (and still is) the most obedient well behaved dog...I am learning what a real husky puppy is like now with my new 4 month old female. Excercise goes a long way and I cannot stress that enough. A tired husky is a safe home. I don't crate either of my huskies, although my 4 month old has me on edge as she's a bit of a wild child, but a small walk in the morning before I depart for work and a long walk after work has kept my home destruction free...so far. <_<

I feel like huskies all have their own little quirks to them and that's what makes them such an amazing breed. Each has their own personality and a lot of it. If you start running into behavioral issues visit that section and post your questions same goes for health. Bookmark this website as it's hands down the best source for information on the net regarding Siberian Huskies.

post-6001-0-21572500-1401084158.gif TOpost-6001-0-92748600-1401084169.jpg

well done for rescuing and am sorry to hear that the health problems are worse then was mentioned to you but with the help of a good vet and lots of T L C you can overcome this as well..

any questions you have just ask we do not bite........Hard... :D

welcome to the pack :D

After a couple of posts - i think it's 5 off the top of my head you can post links - it's just to stop spammers joining and posting links to goodness knows what lol

I hope all goes well with your little one - he will get better, patience and a good vet will see you though but we're all here for you along the way :)

Hi Nikki, and welcome to the forum.  Kudos for not only rescuing but keeping a Husky who needs more than the normal "adaptation time".  It seems funny to me, but the rescues, I think, know they got a break when we took them home.

The good news there though is that both mange and kennel cough are treatable and in short order everything should be okay - except you'll then have a healthy Husky to deal with :hehe:

Jonthan, you don't get anything special for buttering up Marc and Sarah .... but you are right!

Edited by Al Jones

Jonthan, you don't get anything special for buttering up Marc and Sarah .... but you are right!

Are they the forum owners? I honestly had no idea! I also don't know the difference between the different colored names. :duh:

Edit: Nevermind...Blue is a site sponor. Green is an admin. Red is an admin. Maybe I should open my eyes a bit wider.

Welcome :hello:

As for the mange, you need to know what type of mange you are dealing with. I have an amazing cream I use on my horses but for the life of me I can't think what it's called!!! I will have to share my 2 cents worth after I go home and check the name!

I am sure this is the beginning of an amazing relationship, well done for rescuing

I'm loving it here already! Thank you for the warm welcome.

Turned out that Ghost did not have kennel cough, after a day of coughing up phlegm she finally honked a piece of chicken up and were back to normal now!!

I have loads of queries like her bizarre eating or lack of it, grooming and exercise so hopefully over the weekend I'll get the opportunity to find some tips over the forums!

:rolleyes:

Turned out that Ghost did not have kennel cough, after a day of coughing up phlegm she finally honked a piece of chicken up and were back to normal now!!

I have loads of queries like her bizarre eating or lack of it, grooming and exercise so hopefully over the weekend I'll get the opportunity to find some tips over the forums!

Thats good news then! Ask away with any questions x

Glad Ghost is doing okay! Ender frustrates me too with his eating habits, sometimes he will scarf down his food, other days he turns his nose up at it. Then when he gets bored of the food/flavor he goes on a hunger strike to the point of being really sick and throwing up until we figure out what he wants. Whether it be dry food only, wet food only, wet and dry mixed, different flavor of kibble, different flavor of wet food, mixing two kinds of kibble... Then he goes back to normal eating his kibble like nothing happened. Sometimes I have to crush up a biscuit and sprinkle it on the kibble to entice him... This all started after he was on a bland diet (boiled chicken beast and rice) for 5 days per the vets instructions since he was on meds. He wouldn't eat anything else after that... We've tried all the methods I've seen online, give him kibble and he'll eventually eat etc. Nope, not Ender... He went 5 days without touching food when I did that, he was puking and lethargic. Husky:1 Mom: 0...

Only just caught this, late to the party lol. Welcome, ghost is gorgeous xxxx. Both our boys are rescue though Solo was approx 2 yrs when he adopted us18 months ago, he's pretty laid back most of the time but boy can hd be stubborn and he answers back! Also obsessed with chewing plastic bottles (he likes the noise) to the extent he will try to steal them half full lol. Enjoy your baby, life is never boring.