Not Recognising A Husky...

loudlucky

Getting sorta serious for a minute, I thought that a full curl in a Sibe was a fault. Aren't they supposed to curl over but not touch the back.

Avalanche, who's not a Sibe, has a full curl but Sasha (rescue but probably a Sibe) has a curl that comes over but not (normally) on her back.

And there are some beautiful pictures up there ... puppieeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

Yeah it's not supposed to its supposed to curve like a sickle rather than curl

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting sorta serious for a minute, I thought that a full curl in a Sibe was a fault. Aren't they supposed to curl over but not touch the back.

Avalanche, who's not a Sibe, has a full curl but Sasha (rescue but probably a Sibe) has a curl that comes over but not (normally) on her back.

And there are some beautiful pictures up there ... puppieeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

I thought any curl in a sibe tail was a fault, unless they were excited. but I have no idea *shrugs*

My two redheads have been called Samoyeeds before :/ I told them they were huskies to which they replied that's impossible because huskies have blue eyes...

I'm a tad late chiming in on this thread I apologize!

But like.. your red pups could go into the Samoyed show ring, break all the rules, and win first place XD

post-8679-0-38675900-1405463638_thumb.pn

See. Identical to a samoyed.

I thought any curl in a sibe tail was a fault, unless they were excited. but I have no idea *shrugs*

what considered as a fault is a "tightly curled" tail. That's a full-on donut made of fluff, or a cute pig's tail curl. These dogs naturally curl their tail when relaxed, so tail-curling is not considered a fault as long as the tip of the tail does not touch the dog's back. Some show dogs carry their tail straight up like a brush, or aligned to their body. It's fun to watch :lol:

(( sorry, thread hijacking in progress ))

what considered as a fault is a "tightly curled" tail. That's a full-on donut made of fluff, or a cute pig's tail curl. These dogs naturally curl their tail when relaxed, so tail-curling is not considered a fault as long as the tip of the tail does not touch the dog's back. Some show dogs carry their tail straight up like a brush, or aligned to their body. It's fun to watch :lol:

(( sorry, thread hijacking in progress ))

is chads normal..? I don't really understand the difference, I guess. *shrugs* but the ones you explained on the "show dogs" definitely seem like they would be interesting to watch! may have to do that sometime soon.. ;)

AKC standard for the Siberian - relating to the tail:

Tail: The well furred tail of fox-brush shape is set on just below the level of the topline, and is usually carried over the back in a graceful sickle curve when the dog is at attention. When carried up, the tail does not curl to either side of the body, nor does it snap flat against the back. A trailing tail is normal for the dog when in repose. Hair on the tail is of medium length and approximately the same length on top, sides and bottom, giving the appearance of a round brush. Faults - A snapped or tightly curled tail; highly plumed tail; tail set too low or too high.

The thing is, show dogs are trained to walk/pose (stack) a certain way to show their best qualities. I think a Husky's tail curls tighter the more excited the dog is (source: observation). Take that dog for a twenty-minute walk, and the tail would drop to an "acceptable" state. After all, tail position is a dog's way of communicating. I don't think there's any "normal" or "abnormal" here :)

I've been to two show dogs so far. It is indeed fun to watch different dogs performing in the ring. Wish there's another one in my area :( the second show I attended is particularly interesting. There's this one handler who is only ten years old!

AKC standard for the Siberian - relating to the tail:

Tail: The well furred tail of fox-brush shape is set on just below the level of the topline, and is usually carried over the back in a graceful sickle curve when the dog is at attention. When carried up, the tail does not curl to either side of the body, nor does it snap flat against the back. A trailing tail is normal for the dog when in repose. Hair on the tail is of medium length and approximately the same length on top, sides and bottom, giving the appearance of a round brush. Faults - A snapped or tightly curled tail; highly plumed tail; tail set too low or too high.

oh wow, thanks ! good information you found there :) I think my two are "breed standard" hehe

The thing is, show dogs are trained to walk/pose (stack) a certain way to show their best qualities. I think a Husky's tail curls tighter the more excited the dog is (source: observation). Take that dog for a twenty-minute walk, and the tail would drop to an "acceptable" state. After all, tail position is a dog's way of communicating. I don't think there's any "normal" or "abnormal" here :)

I've been to two show dogs so far. It is indeed fun to watch different dogs performing in the ring. Wish there's another one in my area :( the second show I attended is particularly interesting. There's this one handler who is only ten years old!

true..I never thought about their training. oops. paisleys tail is.. weird. haha. it like hooks to the side when she walks. it's starting to curl over her back, though.

I've only seen shows on tv, but I would love to really go to one. that would be an awesome experience. I doubt they have any around here, though. I've only seen one other husky around town.. :(

I get this kind of stuff all the time with Champ.  I can't remember how many times I've had to explain to people that he's not a wolf or a mal, which are the most common ones we get.  I also have to field the comments about him being small when he's at the top end of breed standard and have to explain that to people as well, most of these people are thinking of mals when they make those comments and then I have to explain that he's not.  The worst part is I live near a university who's mascot is the husky...you'd think the people that live here would know the breed of dog he is.  I had to explain to an acquaintance that's he not part wolf this morning :facepalm:

I've had Shadow four days now, She has been called malimute and akita so many times now that it's driving me a little loopy. She is too small to be a malimute, way too small and she gets called an akita by 90% of people apart from this one woman who also has a husky. I think the funniest thing is, a friend of mine has two huge malimutes who are called huskies all the time by people which drives them nuts as well!

Oddly enough, the handful of people I have run across while walking the boys the last week have all immediately known they were huskies. Maybe it's their coloring and the fact that they're together. They do look a lot like sled dogs when they're running. Maybe it's just that people in Michigan know huskies. I'm not really sure. There honestly aren't many in this exact area. However, the people we have run across are almost all from other parts of the state since where I walk them right now is a seasonal lake area where people come to stay on vacation.

Sent from my iPhone inbetween walking dogs!