Howling Noise Complaints

Kaos_Mom

My husky is 5 months now, he's been crate trained for quite a while now. But recently we've been getting complaints from the neighbors about him howling/barking during the day while we're out. He never howls in his cage when I am home, so I'm not sure how to fix the behavior or what triggers it. Could he have separation anxiety? What can I do to fix it? We've already gotten fined by the police department so I have to find a solution ASAP. 

Sounds very much like Separation Anxiety (S.A.)

Common things to try first off.

Sleep in an old Tshirt (one that you dont mind getting damaged or smelly) and put that in his crate while you are out.

The familiar smell can keep them calm.

Also maybe try a "Thundershirt"   http://www.thundershirt.com/ these are very good for helping with S.A.

Bear had SA. Unfortunately having ice didn't help her. She was fearful for us to leave the house without her, almost like she thought we were never coming back again, bless her. It was however something that she got over eventually. Things that can help are like mentioned already, leaving them with clothes that have your scent on, toys to occupy their mind, white noise such as a radio playing quietly, a dap diffuser is supposed to help calm them too but I have never tried one so can't really comment too much on them.
Good luck. Xxx

edited this post because apparantly i can't spell my own dog's name correctly.  :confused:

I've always had this routine I used when I was leaving the house;  "You be good, I'll be back, behave,"  I guess it's my way of saying "See you shortly." It falls into that category of useless noise ...

I've noticed that if I let Sasha know I'm leaving. I'll come back to a puddle on the kitchen floor (yeh, we're not completely over that yet); if I just leave, even though I've gone through the regimen of getting ready (got phone, coffee, cigarettes, sunglasses ... head?, yep I'm mostly all here) then she doesn't ... but I've done this often enough to think that she relates me talking to her with me being gone for a while, otherwise it's just me going outside ... and since they don't have any good time sense, she doesn't know whether I've been outside for 10 minutes or in town for a couple of hours. 

That to say that if you can work with her for short periods of time, stepping outside for 5 - 10 - 15 minutes so she's comfortable that you're going to be right back, it might help reassure her that everything's really okay.

First off I'd like to say that getting another dog is not a guaranteed cure to SA. It's more like a 50-50 gamble.

Tools you can try:

1. Thunder shirt (as suggested)

2. DAP diffuser

3. Your old, unwashed shirt in his crate

4. Frozen PB-filled Kong toy or any other chewables to distract him

5. Dark-colored, non-transparent cover on his crate

6. Leave the TV or radio on

If all else fails, you will have to work on training. Randomly during the day when you're home, get up and leave. You don't have to leave for real, just hide somewhere out of his sight. Don't say anything, just get up and go. Come back 30 seconds later. Don't pay attention to the dog when you return, even if he's showering you with kisses (applies for real situations when you're really home from work as well). Rinse and repeat. Then, gradually increase leaving time. Maybe from 30 to 45 seconds. Keep adding, keep practicing, until the dog realizes no matter how long you leave, you will always come back.

The responses above cover the options really well. 

It might be worth looking into a recording device like a security camera, webcam  or voice activated audio recorder so you can get an idea of when it is happening and for how long? Also there may be triggers like someone ringing your doorbell. This will give you a better understanding of what is happening and may help you in ascertaining the extent of the problem. If it is not so bad it may help with the police or council charges.

Logan had SA when we first got him. He is a 4 year old rescue, that spent a lot of time locked in a shed, so wasn't surprised.

Everyone's suggestion are exactly as we did, first weekend at home, we did a lot of short coming and going so that he got used to the idea that we always came back. Sometimes just one of us, sometimes both.

At first every time we returned, he would get over excited, and then rush out to wee.

The first week back at work was hard for him, he howled after we left according to neighbour, so started leaving ipad recording. The sound was heartbreaking.

I took the chance of leaving my stuff out instead of packing away, last nights shirt, slippers etc. this seemed to reassure him we must be coming back. Routine also seemed to be key, coffee, walk, breakfast, shower, little pat on the head and leave for work. After two weeks, not a murmur from him.

Now two months in, I go for a shower and he curls up on the sofa, knowing we are going. I have to go to him to pat his head to say goodbye and not squeeze out the door. He's not over excited when we return and doesn't rush out for a wee, he knows he can go out for that when he asks.

New here, not sure if that was advice, but thought I'd share our experience.

Logan had SA when we first got him. He is a 4 year old rescue, that spent a lot of time locked in a shed, so wasn't surprised.

Everyone's suggestion are exactly as we did, first weekend at home, we did a lot of short coming and going so that he got used to the idea that we always came back. Sometimes just one of us, sometimes both.

At first every time we returned, he would get over excited, and then rush out to wee.

The first week back at work was hard for him, he howled after we left according to neighbour, so started leaving ipad recording. The sound was heartbreaking.

I took the chance of leaving my stuff out instead of packing away, last nights shirt, slippers etc. this seemed to reassure him we must be coming back. Routine also seemed to be key, coffee, walk, breakfast, shower, little pat on the head and leave for work. After two weeks, not a murmur from him.

Now two months in, I go for a shower and he curls up on the sofa, knowing we are going. I have to go to him to pat his head to say goodbye and not squeeze out the door. He's not over excited when we return and doesn't rush out for a wee, he knows he can go out for that when he asks.

New here, not sure if that was advice, but thought I'd share our experience.

Great comments and advice there. 

I've tried quite a few of these options already i.e leaving him with a filled kong, or one of his favorite chew toys. We have a morning routine that we've been sticking to for weeks now and the problem seems to have randomly appeared. The weirdest thing is no matter how short or long of a time I leave I can never seem to come to him crying. I think I'm going to try the thunder shirt and see how that works for him, but until then I'll leave him with some soothing sounds. Thanks you all made great suggestions. I hope one of these works. I refuse to have to give him up!

Well seeing as he's in his teenage stage, I'm wondering if this is part of his rebellious phase. That might explain the 'randomness', since every time he misbehaves he's really just trying to test the boundaries. But I'm not exactly sure if that applies to a condition such as SA. Or maybe, this is not a case of SA at all. Is there any behaviorist near you? We're not there to see the dog himself so all we can do is hazard a guess.