What Would You Do?

Stormy

So as you all know I've changed jobs I now work in a salon 23 hours per week and sainsburys 12 hours per week. I had added all money up and found myself short however she had actually paid me wrong so I was missing a day. I have 're done all my calculations and I can cover all my bills with around 40 pounds left so take off 20 for dog walker to then it's food and fuel food I tend to buy loads to freeze etc from work reduced so doesn't cost me much. Fuel both jobs are in this village so hardly any fuel cost there. On top of all this I get tips also vary between 20-50 per week.

So I need to decide do I want a few hundred extra per month and probably no weekends hardly ever and working all the time. Or do I be tight with money and have every weekend off and more of a life????

The salon hours are going up as from October sort of time due to one of the girls going on maternity plus my client base is building up really quickly so I think she will up them permanently anyway.

So what would you do??

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tbh if it were me, i'd stick it out at your management job until october at least.  

The problem with maternity cover is that it's usually only temporary, somewhere between six months to a year.  After that you could find yourself with less hours again and back in the same boat you're currently in but minus the security blanket of your management job to fall back on.  

I know that sounds really pessimistic but would hate to just sit back and see you go out of the frying pan and into the fire!   Once you've got a bit of savings to fall back on then you've got the freedom to explore your options with more security.  God I sound old!!!   :rofl:

Tbh if it were me, i'd stick it out at your management job until october at least.  

The problem with maternity cover is that it's usually only temporary, somewhere between six months to a year.  After that you could find yourself with less hours again and back in the same boat you're currently in but minus the security blanket of your management job to fall back on.  

I know that sounds really pessimistic but would hate to just sit back and see you go out of the frying pan and into the fire!   Once you've got a bit of savings to fall back on then you've got the freedom to explore your options with more security.  God I sound old!!!   :rofl:

Old, I wouldn't say that .... maybe experienced, though.  I like the way you think,  It's always better to have something to fall back on, even if you don't think you're going to need it.  If you've got it and don't need it you can let it grow a bit ( and with interest rates being what they are, it *is* just a bit ); if you don't have it and need it ... it sucks!

Nobody else can really answer this question. You gotta ask yourself which you would be more happy with at the end of the day. Having money is great if you enjoy your job, but if you don't then whats the point in being miserable with money.

Old, I wouldn't say that .... maybe experienced, though.  I like the way you think,  It's always better to have something to fall back on, even if you don't think you're going to need it.  If you've got it and don't need it you can let it grow a bit ( and with interest rates being what they are, it *is* just a bit ); if you don't have it and need it ... it sucks!

You could say that.   When the recession hit a few years back my husband lost his job.  When he finally found a new one he had an accident that left him permanently unable to do the physical aspects of the job he was qualified to do.   Consequently he spent almost 2 years unemployed before finally landing himself a management role that he took to like a duck to water, thankfully.   :)   

Without the back up of our savings we would of probably ended up losing the house.  Thank goodness that we saved some money when times were more affluent as that was our lifeline when things became tough.  Of course now the hard part is trying to put some money back into the savings account.  The cost of living keeps rising but the wages ummmm....not so much!  lol. 

How far are you into your management course? If it means a few more years slogging to get a better qualification then surely that's worth it?

You say have a better life but for less money, but what's the point of having time off if all you'll be thinking about is paying the bills.  If you're young (which I think you are) then keep on working and save save save.

Could you get a lodger? Could help rasie a few quid!

I'm not training to be in management I've already done it all.

Anyway I've been thinking whilst at work tonight and I should be finding out tomorrow if I am able to step back up and if I am able to I am going to as if anything breaks or I need extra money for anything I won't have it if I carry on the way I am now

Update guys,

I've been offered full time team leader position and even better it's in my home town store! So down the road also. 39 hour contract back on good money happy days so I'm taking it :)

So..... Change of plan again.....

The salon offered me full time and after alot of thinking etc I've taken it I decided what I am happiest doing and enjoy and its so much better for the dogs me being able to get up in the morning walk them before and then after work also and I get my Sundays every weekend :)

I'm going to keep my 12 hour at sainsburys also for now to pay anything I need to pay off as with that on top of salon I earn more than if I went back to sains full time and I don't tend to do anything on evenings in the week anyway (Monday weds Fri for four hours is my shifts there)