I'm So Proud Of Him

sammybeans

If any of you have been keeping up with Champ's exploits you'll have noticed that he is highly leash reactive to other animals in general.  Well, with our recent back pack training I've noticed a significant change in his leash behavior when he's wearing it.  He's less reactive and much calmer when he's carrying his weighted pack.  This week we're watching my Mom's little dog, Boots, and I figured it would be a good opportunity to work on his leash reactivity since we'd have another dog to do training with.  Well, surprise surprise he walks next to her just fine.  I was so proud of him that I thought I was going to explode, but instead I took pictures lol

walk003_zpsb2e63be4.jpgwalk004_zps2146158b.jpgwalk002_zpscbcf40c8.jpgwalk001_zps19d16481.jpg

((Just a note I didn't just let them walk close together right away, he was kept in a heel on our first walk with her and when he didn't react to her as she ran around nearby I allowed him a little more room until he was walking at the end of his leash like usual, if there was any hint of him going at her he was placed back in a heel just to ensure her safety))

Lol, I didn't actually do anything to train him to walk nice like that with her.  I just strapped his back pack on, clipped my treat bag on, and out we went.  I figured I'd deal with it as the issues arouse and then there wasn't a issue so I was taken by surprise.

I'm thinking in purchase a backpack training some weeks ago, so probably I will buy it :)

I'd recommend it, it's done wonders for Champ's behavior towards other animals on walks.  We're avid hikers so we're working on his Working Pack Dog title, he's carrying 6 lbs right now and will be going up to 7 lbs here in a day or two, he needs to carry 15 lbs total before our hikes start counting towards his mileage.

Wow that's amazing! Sasha did the same thing with her pack it's crazy that just a pack helps them lol

Isn't it?  Just giving them a job changes their mindset :)

wow, thats great, Shea and Lizzi walk along just fine however they're approx the same size. I don't know how she would react to a small dog with her but the weight pack may be the magic key

Champ doesn't like other animals near him while he's on leash, he tends to get very fear aggressive so he's never been walked on leash with another dog next to him before.  He's also hit and miss with his friendliness towards small dogs as he has a high prey drive.  I do think the pack is the magic key here, they have had a few play sessions inside without it and he's done alright but I have to watch them carefully because he gets very intense and he could hurt her.  But outside his animal issues escalate when on leash, off leash at the dog park he's fine with other dogs, and I think the pack just changes his mindset :)