Crate Training :(

hey guys! I've had paisley for a few weeks now, and she's doing excellent on potty training. BUT- we have one major problem. crate training.

I don't know if someone's trained her that crate = litter box, but even if you set her in there for only a few minutes, she poops! and better yet, if you leave her in there, (like if you left and you obviously didn't know she did it), she ROLLS in it!

I know daily baths ARENT good for any dogs, especially huskies. so if anyone has any tips or helpful advice, it'd be appreciated !

thanks! ☺️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And how did you clean the crate after the accident? Scent means the world in cases like this. Oh and by the way, daily baths aren't good. But if you have a poopy dog, you really don't have a choice so I guess that's an exception to the rule. It's not like Paisley is the only pup that does that anyways! I almost believe every little puppy goes through a "needs to be bathed every single day" phase. As long as it's not her daily routine all her life, I guess.

I know scents are important, so I've cleaned it differently everytime. bleach, white vinegar mixed with water, dawn and water, and all the other cleaners my parents keep handy. I usually put a towel down, also.

I know, I said they aren't. I just don't want a nasty smelly dog running around- haha! I've honestly given up on crate training because I don't want her skin to be dry. I'm hoping once she gets older, it'll get better. but I don't know what to do when I leave the house.. it makes it miserable to leave because I know I have to come home and give her a bath- and she's AWFUL in the bath, also :(

How big is the crate? They will generally only poop if the crate is large, so if you can section it off so she only has enough room to lay down and turn around.

How long is she in the crate for when she poops?

it's the right size, I've looked that up too. I have three different crates- for when she grows. :(

the longest she's been in it is probably 2 hours, but sometimes as soon as I set her in there and shut the door, she's poops! :(

Hmmm, it sounds like she is nervous being in the crate. Maybe you can sit next to her when she is in the crate and give her a few treats and then bring her out again. Repeat this over and over with plenty of breaks in-between and eventually just using praise instead of treats. Just build it up slowly and make sure you do it after she has had a poop outside which must be rewarded and praised in the most exaggerated manner. 

Another thing is that you must not scold her for pooping in the crate, if you catch her in the act, say "quick quick - outside' in a light voice and lead her outside. 

Best of luck with it, it must be a real pain dealing with this continually, but I am sure you will get it sorted soon  :)

maybe ! I'll try all of that and let you know, for sure. I hope it helps because I really giving her baths all the time. I feel awful- she hates those, too! thanks!

I've caught her a few times and I've never yelled at her. just took her outside really quickly and told her "potty outside." cause that's what I've been trying to teach her.

thanks again! I'll let you know! :) and i sure hope so!

• 2 weeks later...

Try covering the crate with a blanket so she can only see out through the door, and like someone else said, section it off. Is there any bedding in there? I'd possibly put some bedding in there for her too. Something that is easily washed! Khaleesi was a nightmare to crate train, crying and pulling the catches off the crate so she could get out. We we going to take it down but she loves going in there now for quiet time away from us! Khaleesi used to "go" in her crate a bit but even if she was desperate now she wouldn't do. What you're doing when you're not shouting at her and putting her in the right place for her to go is the definately the right way to go. We gave Khaleesi all her meals in her crate and didn't shut the door at any point, that worked well. You don't S**t where you eat! x

Try covering the crate with a blanket so she can only see out through the door, and like someone else said, section it off. Is there any bedding in there? I'd possibly put some bedding in there for her too. Something that is easily washed! Khaleesi was a nightmare to crate train, crying and pulling the catches off the crate so she could get out. We we going to take it down but she loves going in there now for quiet time away from us! Khaleesi used to "go" in her crate a bit but even if she was desperate now she wouldn't do. What you're doing when you're not shouting at her and putting her in the right place for her to go is the definately the right way to go. We gave Khaleesi all her meals in her crate and didn't shut the door at any point, that worked well. You don't S**t where you eat! x

I always covered my other dog's, too but she would pull it inside the crate and tear it up as soon as I left haha. I'll try it with paisley though. as for putting something in there, I've always done that. usually just a towel, though. I figured if I wait awhile to reintroduce her to the crate, like once she's a bit older, it'll go better. that's what I had to do with maya (my old husky), and once she was older she loved it. she went in there for every nap time. and I taught her the command "go to bed" and she would go in there no problem. I'll try feeding here in there, too. I did that with maya when she was little and she wouldn't eat out of it, but maybe it'll work! maya was too smart for her own good. haha. thanks! :)

I wish I had other suggestions :( that must be pretty awful though. Hope you can get it taken care of!

it's okay! I have plenty of things to try, as you can see ;) just hopefully one will work! thanks :)