Best Companion Breed For A Siberian Husky?

I currently have a 11 month old male Mini Pinscher, Snickers, and a 9 month old male Siberian Husky, Shadow; both un-neutered. As much as those 2 love each other, Snickers does get tired of playing with Shadow and he becomes a little too much for Snickers.

Im going to start looking for another companion for Shadow to play with, a dog of his size possibly. What breed is recommended that mixes well with husky? About what age should it be? Male or female? Is it better with a breed with good recall?

Another question is I am tempted it possibly being a German Sheperd, is this a potential good match?

Thanks for your answers in advance! It. This would really help me greatly! :)

Stephanie Gonzalez

I was thinking about it, i love huskies! But i wanna know what else there could be and thank you(: and what intro section? Im new so idk what to do on here.

Stephanie Gonzalez

Rob gave you the link to the introduction section, but what would help a lot, since there ore 11,000 of us scattered around the globe, is to put a location in your profile.  It really help sometimes, if we know where the person we're talking to is located.

I've been wondering that same question ;)

I've got a 7 year old Border Collie and a 3 month old Husky and apart from Smokey being on the teething stage and a bit nippy towards him, they seem to get along fine... she also got along fine with my mom's Golden Retriever :D

I think Huskies are social and would get along with most same sized breed of dogs?

Rob gave you the link to the introduction section, but what would help a lot, since there ore 11,000 of us scattered around the globe, is to put a location in your profile. It really help sometimes, if we know where the person we're talking to is located.

Did the location and introduced myself! Thanks for your help [emoji4]

Stephanie Gonzalez

My GSD and Husky get along fine. My Husky is 4 years old and my GSD is 1 and 1/2. They play well together and even though Roxy(my GSD) is bigger than Sky(my husky) Sky still beats her up when playing. I'll post a few videos throughout their lives.

attachicon.gifawww22.jpg

They are the cutest things ever! I might stick to the shepherd if not another husky(: mm should i get it younger than mu husky though or would older be better? Thanks for your help!

Stephanie Gonzalez

Edited by Stephanie Gonzalez

My husky is 2.5 years and we also have a GSD x husky of 1 year old.  they play and get along just fine though the pup is still intact (only until next week) :)

I think huskies are very social dogs and love any one who wants to be friends, it's more about if they 'get on' so if getting another dog it's best to introduce them slowly and away from home, somewhere neutral.

Good luck :)

They are the cutest things ever! I might stick to the shepherd if not another husky(: mm should i get it younger than mu husky though or would older be better? Thanks for your help!

Stephanie Gonzalez

Thanks and I'd say get a younger dog just so you don't run into Alpha issues. The new pup will realise that your Husky you have now is the leader/Alpha. I even rescued a kitten and had to raise Sky and the kitten to get along and guess what they did. They ended up getting along so well weird stuff started to happen haha.

The weird stuff lol

Thanks and I'd say get a younger dog just so you don't run into Alpha issues. The new pup will realise that your Husky you have now is the leader/Alpha. I even rescued a kitten and had to raise Sky and the kitten to get along and guess what they did. They ended up getting along so well weird stuff started to happen haha.

The weird stuff lol

Wow, that is amazing! Sky is very chilled, You ask if it should be stopped on the vid, in my limited experience I don't think there is any reason to try and stop it at this point. It seems to be quality  :P time for both of them. 

It really appears that they have a great bond so you are very fortunate, I would still be mindful that prey drive could take over, but based on the vid they have great future together.

What I'm concerned about is that both your dogs are intact. That way, bringing home a female... also intact... is asking for trouble. A lot of us here own Huskies and GSDs together. I'm looking to adopting a GSD myself in the future. They're (GSDs) social, mostly larger than Huskies and can be let off-lead. What else could you ask for :)

Wow, that is amazing! Sky is very chilled, You ask if it should be stopped on the vid, in my limited experience I don't think there is any reason to try and stop it at this point. It seems to be quality  :P time for both of them. 

It really appears that they have a great bond so you are very fortunate, I would still be mindful that prey drive could take over, but based on the vid they have great future together.

Yeah Sky seemed to really do well with the cat, but unfortunately the cat(Shadow) wandered a little too far one night and the coyotes got her... They learned not to enter my yard because my dogs tore one up before. She was a strange cat though and will be missed. Some of the only pics I have of her. 

IMG_0103_zps47850945.jpg

IMG_0102_zpsf32c0ce9.jpg

Sorry to hear about Shadow, Corey.  Most of the cats that people have down here are house cats since they don't last long outside.  Between the hawks / owls (24 hours a day) and the coyotes at night, it just isn't safe for them to be out.

Back to the original topic.  Stephanie, I don't think the breed or even size of the companion dog is anywhere near as important as the "attitude" of the dogs.  If I'm remembering right, we've had people here who have had to move a Husky on because it just wasn't getting along with the resident Husky.  My neighbour has three terriers (don't ask, I don't really know what they are) one of them will come over to play with Avalanche and they have a ball even though said terrier could walk under Avalanche without ducking.  Most of what they play is "bark and chase" and Avalanche is quite obviously not in prey mode since he'll "play bow" with her!  ( 'course I think Avalanche is the type who would play with the bunnies around here; I don't think there's a mean bone in his body! )

I have two Huskies and a White German Shepherd.

Although it took 2 1/2 years for Echo (WGSD) to become friends with Darwin (Husky) now they play happily and are good chums (most of the time)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been wondering that same question ;)

I've got a 7 year old Border Collie and a 3 month old Husky and apart from Smokey being on the teething stage and a bit nippy towards him, they seem to get along fine... she also got along fine with my mom's Golden Retriever :D

I think Huskies are social and would get along with most same sized breed of dogs?

I figured out that not all Huskies do ahha but i think that just depends on how the owner raised them /: though my pup wouldnt even hurt a fly haha

Stephanie Gonzalez

What I'm concerned about is that both your dogs are intact. That way, bringing home a female... also intact... is asking for trouble. A lot of us here own Huskies and GSDs together. I'm looking to adopting a GSD myself in the future. They're (GSDs) social, mostly larger than Huskies and can be let off-lead. What else could you ask for :)

Thats true /: well if i find Snickers i plan on neutering him.. Right now its just shadow and i did find him someone at the animal shelter(:

Stephanie Gonzalez

Sorry to hear about Shadow, Corey. Most of the cats that people have down here are house cats since they don't last long outside. Between the hawks / owls (24 hours a day) and the coyotes at night, it just isn't safe for them to be out.

Back to the original topic. Stephanie, I don't think the breed or even size of the companion dog is anywhere near as important as the "attitude" of the dogs. If I'm remembering right, we've had people here who have had to move a Husky on because it just wasn't getting along with the resident Husky. My neighbour has three terriers (don't ask, I don't really know what they are) one of them will come over to play with Avalanche and they have a ball even though said terrier could walk under Avalanche without ducking. Most of what they play is "bark and chase" and Avalanche is quite obviously not in prey mode since he'll "play bow" with her! ( 'course I think Avalanche is the type who would play with the bunnies around here; I don't think there's a mean bone in his body! )

Shadows the same(: he loved to play with Snickers, so he knows how to play with lil dogs haha i dont think he has the prey mode in him at all, and thanks!(:

Stephanie Gonzalez