Making Meals For My Husky

Hi guys, I'm having issues with getting my 10 month old Siberian to eat. No surprises there, he's so finicky it dives me up the wall. The only thing he's interested in is human food, which we don't give him any of. I've been thinking it might be more beneficial to make his meals for him. I've literally tried all kinds of kibble, wet foods, enticing him and nada. I really don't know where to start so any advice would be great. Thanks :)

My Husky sky is the same way... She doesn't/rarely eats dry or wet dog food/kibble. So what we do is, every other night we cook up some boneless chicken breasts with basic seasonings(lol) for her and on opposite days we do wet food and mix it with her favorite, which is cheese. She will sometimes eat it... We leave dry kibble out all day for her and my GSD to graze on but I never see my Husky go for it.

When mine wouldn't eat I cooked the raw and waited for it to cool. They lapped it up. As I said, you can change the way you feed it . A few days of cooked food and they went of it again so I partially cooked it. Then back to raw. It will be a matter of trial and error. Carrots are good raw. Eggs.  There are lots of guidelines on this forum about what you can and what you can't feed them. Have a read, it may surprise you.

Gary.

Hi, my 9 month does this, she'll not eat her own food for like 24 hours but pester us when we're eating! I told my kids not to give treats until she ate her own food. we already fed her kibble mixed with wet food, I tried a varie of flavours & found fish or chicken went best & I also left her food bowl out for a few hours as she would eventually go back and eat it. If she didn't & she missed a meal she would have to wait till the next food time. Touch wood(!) she's been good the past few days!! Good luck!! They mite be hankering for something better like human food- make sure they understand the difference between yours & theirs.... I'm no expert but I hope you crack it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haha I don't know, he's been an angel since I posted this. We give him a can of wet food in the morning and leave his kibble out for the day. He's been going back consistently every night for his kibble at "dinner". It's like he knows I was getting frustrated. I hope that he just needs a mix of wet and dry, or maybe he develops a routine again. Or at least if we can develop a routine to follow. I think that he just needs a variety. We're thinking about putting him on a dry food rotation of two or three flavors that we know he likes, and two flavors of canned. That way it's always different. When he goes on food strike we limit the treats too, otherwise he'll go even longer without eating.

Other than the fact that you're letting you Husky train you, your concern and actions are pretty common and pretty much in order.

Depending on what thy purse can buy, buying the best food and then giving the dog no choice is the best option in the long run.  Husky's are smart enough to know that if they don't eat what's put down, most owners will start looking for better alternatives ... they aren't dumb by any stretch.

Assuming that the dog has been by the vet to make sure that there are no medical problems, my oft repeated line that "No healthy dog is going to starve themselves to death laying beside a bowl of good dog food." stands in good stead.  When you get tired of allowing your dog to control you, think about that.

I agree with Al. As long as they are healthy then they won't starve themselves. If you mix their food or feed them other stuff they will hold out for the "good stuff". After awhile they will realize that it's the kibble or nothing and they will eat. Altho if it's been 24-48 hours and they don't eat anything I'd be concerned and talk to your vet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

His longest holding out has been 4 days, by that time he made himself sick, throwing up everywhere. I've taken him to the vet and they said he's fine because he's still drinking.

I'm just going to give him the same stuff he goes back to, the blue buffalo wilderness wet food and the blue basics kibble. I'll switch the flavors up but I'm tired of trying all different kinds of food. It's in the bowl, if he wants it, he can eat it. If not it's going in the fridge, if he wants to hold out for the good stuff so long that he gets ill, then fine. But there's no "good stuff" as I haven't fed him chicken & rice since then... Or any table food since then.

Four days, you've got a stubborn one there Victoria.  And yeh, if they think they can manipulate you, believe me, they will try.  You just have to be prepared, at times, to out-stubborn them.

My two are on opposite ends of the eating "pattern".  I have a female Sibe who I have to keep on a diet or she'll become a balloon and a male Alaskan who eats when he thinks about it, but seldom eats much, just sorta nibbles his way through his meal (he's free fed).

Yeah I think they train us pretty well when it comes to feeding them!

I gave Smokey a sample pack of Ostrich dog kibble (for puppies) I got at the store the other day and now she wont eat her puppy kibble :( and she still has half a bag so I'm not buying the other brand yet!