Hi From Zanki

Zanki

Hey guys, I joined today as a pre-emptive strike before I get to bring my dog home (hopefully, still waiting for the garden check). I'm hoping to learn as much as I can about the breed before I bring Shadow home. She will be my first dog. I wasn't expecting to choose a husky, I was actually looking for a different breed, but walking around the Dogs Trust today and found her. She came up to the side of her enclosure, trying to lick us, then sat right against the glass where we were, that's why we decided to meet her. She is around 8 years old and very friendly. My boyfriend wasn't sure about getting a dog until he met her (Shadow loves him). She is very strong on the lead which is going to need fixing and I have no idea how much training she's had in the past so I've got my work cut out. I know the breed fairly well and how difficult they can be, plus I've had a lot of experience with my friends Malimutes, I'm just hoping I can give her a good home and have the dog I've always wanted.

post-12067-0-34212000-1404589876_thumb.j

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to huskydom :) both my boys are from dogs trust (Shrewsbury) you should be ok with home check then the exciting bit happens. Keep us posted and ask any questions.

Since you've adopted from there before, did they contact you after the garden check to let you know if everything was ok? I know Shadow is still on reserve, I'm guessing for me, but no one has called and I'm supposed to go in tomorrow for the pre adoption talk. I'd like to know if everything went ok because I have to cycle 16 miles there and back and I don't want it to be a wasted journey (I'm skipping gymnastics to go), I also don't want them to tell me in person because I will get upset if they tell me I can't have her. The man who came around said the garden was good, but the wall wasn't very high and he said they normally want a 5ft wall for a husky (like that would stop a husky escaping), but I wasn't planning on leaving her outside unsupervised anyway, plus if she did get out, the furthest she could go was into my neighbours gardens either side of us and down to whatever end of the alley she decided to go down (the walls are 7ft and we have permantly locked doors.

I'm so excited to get her, I've got everything I'm buying for her in my Amazon basket, just waiting to know that I'm getting her.

Sounds pretty much the same, sure they would have said if there was a problem. You could always phone before you go if worried but after the pre adoption talk we put Solo in the car and bought him home so sounds positive xxxx.

Sounds pretty much the same, sure they would have said if there was a problem. You could always phone before you go if worried but after the pre adoption talk we put Solo in the car and bought him home so sounds positive xxxx.

Awesome, so no news is good news! I did write down that I wanted a dog I could run with so maybe they took that into account that even with a small wall she will be safe and have space to run around.

It would be awesome if I could bring her home tomorrow but I haven't got anything for her yet and she has to see a vet again on Friday before she comes home (I'm picking her up on Sunday when my friend isn't working so she can give me a lift). I feel bad about her having to see a vet though. She is a frienly dog until she gets to the vets, then she goes from a friendly dog to a highly aggressive animal. She was so awful that I have to go to an extra talk about aggressive dogs.

How did it go?

It went well. I got there early so I had time to play with Shadow in the caged area so she could be off the leash. She loved it, did most of her commands and she actually stayed with me when I had treats in my hand off the leash which was awesome. We played fetch, she covered me in water and sand so I looked like an even bigger mess when I went for the talk, she also scratched my arm with her nails as well so I have a war wound (we were doing paw). I exhausted her running around like an idiot again (even after cycling 12 miles).

The talk went well, I had to stay after to talk about Shadow's behaviour at the vets, but it was just to know she has to be muzzled etc. No big deal. Just got to remember my tennancy agreement on Sunday and she's mine :D