Hi From Zanki

Zanki

Update! I just had a call about the garden wall. Basically they said it was far too small for Shadow, but because I had spoken to the guy about not having her off the lead out there, they are still happy for me to have her, I just have to sign another piece of paper saying I will not have her off the lead when I take her out. No big deal, I'm getting a longer lead today so she can still have free roam of the garden but not have the chance to escape (she won't be out there on her own ever).

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, what a beautiful dog!! I too got my husky from a shelter, were 1st time doggy people too!! A lot of people said we were brave - or stupid to take on a husky as a 1st pet but we love a challenge and I like to think of it as 1st time husky owner rather then dog owner as they are like a different breed to regular dogs! It's been tough and very rewarding. I wish you lots of luck and I'm sure you'll get lots of enjoyment, I'm looking forward to seeing your updates too.

Your shelter is amazing. They NEED to make every potential Husky adopter sign a paper like that (no off-leash walk in insecure areas allowed). So when will the gorgeous girl arrive home? :D

I'm actually surprised at how good the shelter is. Everyone has been really nice to me and I've had no issues with them. They are very understanding and keep asking me if I know about the breed and ask me to tell them what I know. They've made sure she is going to a good home who know not to do stupid things like let her off the lead or not muzzle her at the vets. She's coming home on Sunday, I'm very nervous and excited. It's a very scary thing to take on a dog, but I've always wanted a dog and I know she will be happy with me, I've now got someone to run around like an idiot with anytime!

I'm actually surprised at how good the shelter is. Everyone has been really nice to me and I've had no issues with them. They are very understanding and keep asking me if I know about the breed and ask me to tell them what I know. They've made sure she is going to a good home who know not to do stupid things like let her off the lead or not muzzle her at the vets. She's coming home on Sunday, I'm very nervous and excited. It's a very scary thing to take on a dog, but I've always wanted a dog and I know she will be happy with me, I've now got someone to run around like an idiot with anytime!

Aw, it's indeed scary :) but it's good scary. Might be a little frustrating too at first ( :lol: ) but years from now you'd look back and laugh. She indeed will be very happy with you. People who do research before adopting a dog is a rare breed nowadays

After everything, I have no idea how I'm going to get Shadow home. I'm supposed to pick her up on Sunday, my ride just fell though and I'm stuck. I've put word out on Facebook and tried to contact some people, but so far I've got nothing. I've tried to find a taxi that would take me at least to the closest train station from the rescue center, £20 to go 4 miles and I don't know if they would even take Shadow. No buses come near, all car rentals are closed on Sundays. I'm at a loss of what to do. I can't walk her 4 miles the day I get her to the station, it's too damn dangerous, especially without pavements and cars driving 50+mph. If I can't find a ride, I can't get Shadow.

Gorgeous doggy and welcome to the forum!!

What area are you in? Maybe a local dog walker would consider helping ?

I'm in Coventry. Right now I'm waiting on the all clear from the vet so I can go and pick her up tomorrow. I managed to message some of my Kung Fu friends and one of them is happy to help, provided we can go tomorrow at 12 and get her home within the hour, so hopefully it will all be ok.

Another update, man, this is killing me :/

Everything is good to go. A friend from training is picking me up tomorrow and taking me to the center and back. Looks like she's coming home a day early! Her vet check was good today so she's mine!

SHE'S HOME!!!!!!

She has been very good so far, she climbed into the car easily and sat on the floor like a good dog and ended up resting her head against my leg for the ride home. No moving around. She's home now, she's pretty pooped, it's a good sign that I can wear her out so easily. She's explored the house and the garden, scared herself knocking over the table but that's the only bad thing that's happened and wasn't anyones fault. I can't believe I've got her. It's kind of surreal. Only issue I've had is with her pulling the lead like a lunatic, she's been peeing outside, so I'm guessing she's a little housetrained at least.

She made it through the night! No crying apart from when I first locked her in the front room, no little presents to clean up this morning! Just waiting for her food to digest before she goes for a walk! She was so excited to see me, that was one amazing morning greeting. It's good to know she can hold her bladder!!!